Frequecy is different from the one on the box

TheEnd

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hello

i apologize if it's a normal thing but i have to be sure.
Bought a corsair 8gb (4*2) ddr3 1866 (along with a new motherboard and a cpu) when i entered the bios (asus z87) it showed me that i had 1333 frequency
If don't know for sure please don't answer because i'm pretty much on the verge of beating that salesman to death...

and excuse my poor English :)

Solution
The MB bios defaults to the lower speed. To use the higher speeds you need to set that from the bios yourself. Read your MB instructions for the bios settings relating to RAM. Oh ya do not under any circumstances do violence to the sales person. Your ignorance is no excuse to do that. :)

Dogsnake

Distinguished
The MB bios defaults to the lower speed. To use the higher speeds you need to set that from the bios yourself. Read your MB instructions for the bios settings relating to RAM. Oh ya do not under any circumstances do violence to the sales person. Your ignorance is no excuse to do that. :)

Solution

TheEnd

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Well, violence isn't my first reaction to this matter. so my ignorance is under control.
Should i go for a higher speed ? and if i do does it heat up or somethin ?

Memory does not "run" at any speed by its self. Memory is sold by the fastest speed that it is guaranteed that it will work it, if you clock it to that speed. Your motherboard/cpu combination sets the speed your memory works at. If you want anything other than the default speed, which by the way is 1333 mhz for most processor/board combinations, you have to set it to that speed. So you buy memory that will work the speed you intend to run it at, then you go into the BIOS and set it to that speed, or enable the XMS setting, and your board will automatically detect and set that XMS speed. But, then, you must also know what speeds the XMS settings on your board are capable of running as well, and you buy memory to match or work with what those settings will be.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
The higher speed will improve the performance of most software (games included). Using it does not cause substantial heat increase. The design of the memory is to support any of it's speed options. Corsair is a v.g. brand and can often safely be overclocked to even higher speeds. It is well designed and rugged. Your bios has a section that will let you one click select the higher speed profile. Just select it and save. The bios will make any adjustments needed for the higher speed.