Question Frequent Blue Screens After Last Windows Update

The_Gen_Eric

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
As the title says, ever since updating to Windows 10 1903, my computer has been having fairly frequent and seemingly random BSoDs, ranging from 0-3 daily. I ran an sfc /scannow command, and what came back was that "Windows found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." I've also run a Memory Diagnostic that came back clean.
I also ran a DISM repair here, but I'm unsure if that's what was causing the issue in the first place.
I've attached the results of a CBS log here as well.
Any ideas on if these were the issue, or if not, what the BSoDs stem from?

Lutfij

Titan
By update, do you mean reinstalling the OS from scratch after creating a bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Might want to share your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Age of your PSU?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you ran dism after the SFC scan that failed, run SFC again. DISM fixes the files that SFC uses to repair files

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

@Lutfij your response to a BSOD post is always the same :D (as is mine) - maybe you should use this link - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/ or do you want to expand point 2?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
What follows is not BSOD specific, but given what's been offered, everything but the completely clean install is worth trying before resorting to one.

I agree with Colif that my usual SFC and DISM advice (which is in the document I reference) is an SFC, DISM, second SFC sequence. I have had various experts tell me that SFC is inferior and that DISM supplants it, but my own experience is that SFC seems to catch a couple of things that DISM doesn't and vice versa.

----------------------------------------
Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties). This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall:

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

I never choose the “thermonuclear option”, the completely clean reinstall, until it's clear that this is the only viable option. I hate having to go through all the work of reconfiguring a machine from scratch if that can reasonably and safely be avoided.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Colif, nor am I arguing, as we agree.

However, there are lots of anachronisms in Windows 10 from earlier versions of Windows that have been, effectively, supplanted. But if you can leave the familiar often you do, and Microsoft has done so often throughout the decades.

The_Gen_Eric

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
Sorry for the late response, my specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard: MSI B450M Pro-M2
Ram: 2x8GB G.Skill Flare X 2400 Mhz
SSD/HDD: Crucial MX500 250GB SSD
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Can't remember but will look into if necessary
Chassis: Thermaltake Core x9

As a note, I did run SFC after running DISM, and it was able to successfully fix the previously found issues. In addition, I disabled fast boot after Windows had re-enabled it, which I think was contributing to crashes, particularly on restart and after other BSoDs. After then, I haven't had any issues, but given the random nature of the crashes, I can't be too certain.

I've attached the past few logs from BlueScreenView as well, but as a warning it wasn't picking up on every single BSoD.

As a side note, I left my computer running over the night, particularly playing a YouTube video since it's crashed at least once during that. It stayed un-crashed throughout the night, but again, I can't be too certain.

https://pastebin.com/dZAPLaJT

Colif

Win 11 Master
Diriver verifer tripped over Scarlet Crush, this is software used for your your playstation controller. Its old, they haven't updated it in 4 years. You might need to remove it to stop that bsod

remaining 4 BSOD all blame ntoskrnl which is the windows kernel. its the victim, not the cause. BLuescreenview has set up a minidump folder for you already

Try removing scarlet crush and look in c:/windows/minidump & copy files to another folder and upload copies from new folder to a file sharing website and show link here.

fast boot only cause crashes if you have old drivers not written for win 10.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/zA7R.html
File information:082319-8796-01.dmp (Aug 23 2019 - 20:46:53)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION (C9)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ScpVBus.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

File information:082219-8062-01.dmp (Aug 22 2019 - 18:54:59)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

File information:082219-7546-01.dmp (Aug 22 2019 - 18:52:23)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: WerFault.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

File information:082019-9093-01.dmp (Aug 20 2019 - 21:15:16)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Steam.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

File information:082019-7328-01.dmp (Aug 20 2019 - 20:54:04)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: A6100.EXE)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)
One of the 5 crashes was caused by nvlddmkm.sys. The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-PRO-M2
There is a BIOS update available for your system (2.9). You are using version 2.7. I recommend avoiding version 2.A2 because it's a Beta. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
He appears to have latest Nvidia drivers now. So trying last 3 is a good idea, or just running windows update after DDU will also get you some Nvidia drivers that are known to work. Latest drivers aren't always guaranteed to work with Nvidia

they could all be caused by Nvidia drivers.