Question Frequent BSoD, and crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emshe

Commendable
Dec 21, 2019
I recently built my first PC, and it's been crashing, and getting constant BSoD. When installing Windows it crashed a few times in the media creation tool, and I didn't really think anything of it since windows eventually installed. So I installed drivers and some games and everything was working fine.

But then I started getting PFN LIST CORRUPT errors. And I also got one MEMORY ERROR, so I ran a memory diagnosis and windows found no errors. Then I reached my last straw when Fortnite wouldn't launch. It would just crash the whole system. So I decided to wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install of windows. But this time through UEFI and not USB.

The PC would crash when installing Windows, or it would get stuck in a boot loop once windows was installed. I eventually got windows to boot though. And I haven't received any BSoD, just system crashes. I was watching just watching hwmontier once and everything cratered. Everything froze and different windows sound effects played loudly through the speaker. I had to turn off the PSU to get it to shut off. I'm convinced that this is a hardware problem with my SSD or RAM, but I'm not sure which one. Any help?

Last edited:
Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
welcome to forums. Can you add some space into your post as no one is going to read it as it is. I could add it but some people don't appreciate others editing their stuff :)

So no BSOD since install.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

You really shouldn't have problems installing win 10 on new hardware, errors during install can mean its hardware problem. The freezes with no BSOD is also a clue.

Have you updated BIOS on motherboard?
What are specs of PC?

Emshe

Commendable
Dec 21, 2019
welcome to forums. Can you add some space into your post as no one is going to read it as it is. I could add it but some people don't appreciate others editing their stuff :)

So no BSOD since install.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

You really shouldn't have problems installing win 10 on new hardware, errors during install can mean its hardware problem. The freezes with no BSOD is also a clue.

Have you updated BIOS on motherboard?
What are specs of PC?

I wiped my ssd clean again before making this post because of all the crashing. So I'll get everything up and running again with drivers. Unfortunately I'm away from my PC until tomorrow, but I'll definitely try the memory tests asap.

The specs are
Ryzen 5 2600g
RX 570
PNY CD900 500gb
Seasonic 500w 80 bronze
Two 4gb Patriot Viper Blackout sticks.
ASRock Bm450 Pro4
And it's all thrown together in a Thermaltake H18 Versa

If the space I added isn't enough you can edit away :) Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Emshe

Commendable
Dec 21, 2019
run memtest anyway as its good to clear ram from possible causes.
check bios version as well, it could be cause although each one has a warning so make sure your CPU is included in list of CPU that can use said bios.

Like I said, I won't be able to use my PC until tomorrow and currently I have a blank ssd. So as soon as I get back I'll reinstall Windows, run a memory test, and try to update bios according to my CPU.

I'll get back to you tommorow! :)

Emshe

Commendable
Dec 21, 2019
After successfully running memtest for almost two hours without a problem, I thought id give give installing installing Windows a go again.

I redownloaded the installation media, but after installing Windows I get stuck in a boot loop again. I really don't get why my computer dislikes windows so much.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you installed windows, did you set SSD or Windows Boot Manager as 1st item in boot order?
Then on the Save & Exit screen, did you use Boot Override to boot from the USB? (What boot override does is uses that drive this boott only and then uses default any other time)

Just curious as that could cause a problem during install if you have USB in boot order.

well, its always possible it is the ssd as you suspected. Windows sees ssd as memory in some cases.

Just trying to figure out how to test it. If you have another PC, you could put ssd in as a 2nd drive and test it there.

You can make a bootable version of HD Sentinel DOS free - https://www.hdsentinel.com/usbboot.php

You can create this on another PC and boot off it to run tests on ssd - https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ultimate_boot_cd_(ubcd).html

PNY don't have their own software or I would suggest it.

Emshe

Commendable
Dec 21, 2019
I did not boot override, but I removed the USB out of the boot order and it's still freezing and crashing. I'm really suspecting that it's just my ssd at this point. With the PFN LIST CURROPT errors, and the fact I ran the men test for 2 hours fine.

It just seems like whenever files and data needs to handled on the ssd, that's when everything craters.

Also, my PC smells... weird? I remember my motherboard smelling when I unboxed it. But every time I boot up my PC it fills the room with an odd smell. I checked to see if anything was burning but it doesn't look like it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That smell is a concern, you shouldn't get a smell using a Seasonic PSU but it could be something on the motherboard like mould or something, PC shouldn't make any smell.

I am not sure what you would do, perhaps get it looked at by a store? they could replace ssd and look at the source of weird smell.

Jan 9, 2020
To TS, I was wondering if you fixed your pc. If you bought a new SSD? I'm kind of in the same boat, but no exactly.

I had a hard time reinstalling windows. I got BSOD over and over. Had problems with BSOD before, that's why i reinstalled the OS. Even got a new kit of ram.

I ran memtest with the first kit I had (together) and got like 1700 errors. Then ran memtest earlier with the new kit + 1 ram from the first kit. Zero errors. Yet I was gettin BSOD. More frequently than before.

Also using a Ryzen cpu. These are the components:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus B450F
2x8gb HyperxFury 2666mhz

I bought them on black friday as an upgrade pack/deal. Check the listings and my ram wasn't even on the list. I forgot the errors on the BSOD that I got earlier, but I got different error codes. One I remember is kernel security settings.

Before I changed the ram kit I was gettin memory management. But now it's not popping up.

Oh and, I actually put 3x8gb of the ram. Since I got zero error from one of the sticks from the first kit. Maybe it was a bad idea? I haven't overclocked nor changed anything on the bios for xmp or ram cause I know nothing about it.

Anyway, I'm gonna troubleshoot tomorrow. Try to run it on safe mode, run some disk check. I really hope that I won't have to buy a new ssd. The ssd that I'm using is not a new one. I've had it for over 3 years, but it shouldn't be an issue, right?

Colif

Win 11 Master
To TS, I was wondering if you fixed your pc. If you bought a new SSD? I'm kind of in the same boat, but no exactly.

I had a hard time reinstalling windows. I got BSOD over and over. Had problems with BSOD before, that's why i reinstalled the OS. Even got a new kit of ram.

I ran memtest with the first kit I had (together) and got like 1700 errors. Then ran memtest earlier with the new kit + 1 ram from the first kit. Zero errors. Yet I was gettin BSOD. More frequently than before.

Also using a Ryzen cpu. These are the components:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus B450F
2x8gb HyperxFury 2666mhz

I bought them on black friday as an upgrade pack/deal. Check the listings and my ram wasn't even on the list. I forgot the errors on the BSOD that I got earlier, but I got different error codes. One I remember is kernel security settings.

Before I changed the ram kit I was gettin memory management. But now it's not popping up.

Oh and, I actually put 3x8gb of the ram. Since I got zero error from one of the sticks from the first kit. Maybe it was a bad idea? I haven't overclocked nor changed anything on the bios for xmp or ram cause I know nothing about it.

Anyway, I'm gonna troubleshoot tomorrow. Try to run it on safe mode, run some disk check. I really hope that I won't have to buy a new ssd. The ssd that I'm using is not a new one. I've had it for over 3 years, but it shouldn't be an issue, right?

can you make your own thread and give me a link, I will help.

you should only run memtest on 1 stick at a time as then you don't know which one is the cause.
if you follow the 1st post here, set up PC to create smaller dump files - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/ and upload them to a file sharng website and show link in your thread.

What BSOD codes since there are only about 290 of them? I can't guess :)

Jan 9, 2020
can you make your own thread and give me a link, I will help.

you should only run memtest on 1 stick at a time as then you don't know which one is the cause.
if you follow the 1st post here, set up PC to create smaller dump files - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/ and upload them to a file sharng website and show link in your thread.

What BSOD codes since there are only about 290 of them? I can't guess :)

Hi, i'm so sorry about that. I will try to troubleshoot the pc this weekend. And I will post it around next week if it doesnt get fixed. But as I've said, I don't remember the error codes I got yesterday. But I will take note of that when I troubleshoot or when it comes up. Thanks!

Jan 9, 2020
if you change the dump settings to minidump, any errors you get now we can look at instead of waiting :)

Hi again, it seems like I fixed it. Not gettin any problems. Just had to set the ram frequency to 2666 (my rams are 2666mhz) in the bios settings. Thanks though! I'll post it up if it happens again lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.