Status
Not open for further replies.

Kidneybot

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2014
Hi, hope someone can help me out here because I’m a bit worn out playing PC detective on this one. PC specs are at the bottom of this post.

Yesterday, I suddenly started getting very frequent blue screen crashes, always with the stop code “RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED.” When it happened, my PC would go into a chain of rebooting and blue screening several times before it temporarily dispersed or Windows RE would pop up. According to BlueScreenViewer, the cause of the error every time was “ntoskrnl.exe+1f6fd3”. Today however, the problem got worse; I now can’t even get into Windows because it keeps blue screening, now with new error codes “REFERENCE_BY_POINTER” and “KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.”

I’m being told this has to do with hardware, but I feel like this is coming from nowhere because I didn’t change my hardware, in fact I haven’t in 4+ months. The only thing I changed about my PC yesterday was that I installed Detroit: Become Human (lol), I uninstalled it out of caution but I doubt it was the issue. If I could get into Windows, I would try updating Windows (evidently I was a feature update behind) or updating the BIOS but I can’t even do that now; it even crashes in safe mode. I feel totally out of luck, but I can at least reliably get into the Windows RE and BIOS settings.

Things I have tried:
  • Ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f, no dice.
  • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, no dice.
  • Uninstalled Intel WiFi driver and disabled Wi-Fi controller in BIOS, no dice. I did this because when I googled the issue, some other people said this fixed it for them.
If anyone can help out, I’d be so grateful. I don’t know what to do. I’d like to save a Windows reinstall for a last resort honestly, since I don’t even know what’s causing this, but it might come to that anyway. I’m just bummed because this came out of nowhere. Is there maybe something I can do in my BIOS?

My PC specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard: Asus x570 Plus TUF Gaming
  • RAM: Trident.Z RGB 16GB DDR4 3600
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
TL;DR: Frequent BSOD with stopcodes “RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED,” “REFERENCE_BY_POINTER” and “KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE” caused by service “ntoskrnl.exe”. I haven't changed my hardware in 4 months. Can’t even get into Windows now. How to stop this from happening?

Colif

Win 11 Master
RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED
that is an unusual BSOD to get, in that I haven't seen it before.

My initial reaction to unusual errors is check ram

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it, just another PC to make the USB on.

if it crashes in safe mode it would indicate its not drivers. Possibly mean its hardware.

Kidneybot

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2014
Coming back to this thread a while later to say I solved my issue and here's how, in case anyone is lurking and has the same problem: I replaced my CPU via RMA and the BSOD's stopped happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.