[SOLVED] Frequent BSOD Crash

Aug 6, 2021
Ever since I built my PC I am getting frequent crashes, I have tried replacing the RAM/GPU and a fresh install of windows has been done 3 times with no results. I have also tried all the troubleshooting methods found when googling, is there a way to pin point it from the bluescreenview file? The crash happens after running the pc for a few hours of gaming.

Temps are fine also.

Mobo MSI Meg z490 ace
Intel I5 11600k
850w psu
corsair vengeance pro 3200Mhz ram

bluescreen view - https://ibb.co/MPN227x

Cheers

Solution
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/5o8gnw7m/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:080721-4640-01.dmp (Aug 6 2021 - 19:27:11)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 33 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system...

Colif

Win 11 Master
all 4 crashes are directX

What GPU do you have?

what make/model PSU?

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/5o8gnw7m/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:080721-4640-01.dmp (Aug 6 2021 - 19:27:11)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 33 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Comment: You have an "unknown" driver on your system. It's called CtiIo64.sys. You can search your PC for the file, right click on it and look at the properties and try to provide us more info about the file. This may help. This file may or may not have anything to do with the crashes (probably not).
The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z490-ACE
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version 1.7 and the latest is version 1.9. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Solution
Aug 6, 2021
I have done DDU twice as well as fresh windows install and then letting windows auto update the graphics drivers. I used MSI dragon centre and my mobo was fully updated but I will check this again tonight and attempt to update.

Do you think it could it be an actual motherboard hardware issue causing this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not motherboard, its pointing at the GPU, so far 6 Video TDR crashes.

TDR = GPU timeout detection and recovery
it means the GPU isn't answering windows and causes an error like this

My GPU is currently a 3070 TI zotac gaming
Previously I had a 3070 palit gaming pro and was having the same directx error.

hmmm... so its unlikely GPU and blaming MB is not something I would do without checking everything else first.

PSU is gigabyte 850w Gold
which model Gigabyte PSU? Only because...

Aug 6, 2021
PSU is GIGABYTE P850GM, 850W, 80 Plus Gold Certified, 120mm Smart Hydraulic Bearing (HYB) Fan.

- my brother said to try swapping psu as he thought it may be this, also it's one of the only variables I haven't tried. Worth trying to swap this out?

Also it's been alot more than 6 of the tdr failures as I have done a fresh install of Windows twice the earlier logs are gone, but was all identical.

Colif

Win 11 Master
GP-P850GM i believe is your model and one of the two on the video that failed

SO yeah, try the other PSU as it could be cause.

its got more 1 star reviews than 5. I don't normally believe amazon but when its down, it might be true - link

did you get PSU with a GPU?

I would get a PSU from Seasonic, Corsair or EVGA (although EVGA are starting to slip) as you will get the amount of power they say they produce and it might not won't kill parts along the way.

if power supply isn't reliable it can make everything else play up. 3070 is likely most power hungry part of pc so its most effected by power. If you got it as a bundle, its not very nice giving you a good gpu and a bad PSU.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021
Okay and no I bought the PSU myself thinking gigabyte was a decent brand. I realised after I built the pc I should've got a Corsair or similar as the cables seem pretty poor.

I'll invest into a new PSU this week and see how that goes then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seems they sell their better PSU under the Aorus tag line but the cheaper ones are just called Gigabyte. They appear to make their own but as the video showed, the parts inside 2 identical model PSU are different. So they might have been using what they could find, not picking the best. Quality wasn't the aim, perhaps profit was.

Corsair don't make their own PSU but use other PSU rebranded. The brand they often choose for their top end rebrands is Seasonic. Seasonic only have 1 model they don't make themselves. They used to make Power Supples for IBM servers. EVGA used to choose from either Superflower (good brand) or Seasonic for their Supernova PSU but have gone to using lesser brands for those models recently.

Known brand PSU cost more but shouldn't kill the parts you put them with. Clearly part of problem is knowing who the good PSU brands are.

It took me 6 computers but I went from not caring what PSU I have to making sure its a good one. I think it was possibly 1st thing on list for current PC.