[SOLVED] Frequent BSOD, green screens

Nov 30, 2021
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.50 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte A320M-H
Memory: 8 GB, DDR4, Speed 2666
HDD: WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0
Power Supply: Magnum 450W ATX

Bought the PC 2 years ago. Have put a NVIDIA Geforce 210 in it and it has run fine for a 1 and a half year.
Then I started to get BSOD every other day, later the screen started turning green(i used shift+ctrl+win+b to restart the driver).
I exctracted the Nvidia card and started to use iGPU.
First, i tried to replace the driver for the videocard. I think I tried all the Adrenalin drivers from AMD website, but the BSOD still kept appearing.
I reinstalled Windows several times, didn't solve the issue.
Then, I changed the HDD which came with the PC (HP MB2000GCWLT) as it was making strange noises and i assume it was failing, with the one mentioned above.
After a day running on the new HDD, the sistem freezed for like 30 seconds, then I heard short beeps and the BSOD appeared again.
I updated the BIOS to the latest version.
I assumed that there may be some problems with the memory. Have ran the Memtest86, no error.
Tried to run Heaven Unigine, but it never got to the end. Green spots appeared on the screen and the app force closed itself. Driver timeout error appeared.
I have tried to run Prime95, received the following results:

[Tue Nov 30 21:15:29 2021]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4997216153, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected running 192K FFT size, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected running 192K FFT size, consult stress.txt file.
Self-test 192K passed!
Self-test 192K passed!
[Tue Nov 30 21:22:12 2021]
Self-test 4K passed!
Self-test 4K passed!
Self-test 200K passed!
Self-test 200K passed!
[Tue Nov 30 21:30:52 2021]
Self-test 5K passed!
Self-test 5K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected running 224K FFT size, consult stress.txt file.
Self-test 224K passed!
[Tue Nov 30 21:38:17 2021]
Self-test 240K passed!
Self-test 6K passed!
[Tue Nov 30 21:46:56 2021]
Self-test 256K passed!

My question is: At this time, is it safe to assume that I have a hardware problem? If so, how can I find which piece of hardware should be replaced? What should be my next steps?

Solution
if it were mine, I would:

remove the generic PSU and replace with a spare Corsair CX or CXM, CV650 (not the 550w or lower), EVGA BQ bronze or something half-way decent

remove HDD/SSD drives and anything else for bare-bones (just mobo + cpu + ram + IGP)

reseat RAM at least, probably remove cpu fan and clean / repaste

setup BIOS to ensure ram is set for XMP

boot up a linux USB like ubuntu in live mode and just surf with firefox to see if it's stable, if all is well install lmsensors, run sensors-detect and let the sensor output run in a terminal while getting the linux version of prime95, give it a run and see how things go for a while, if temps get out of hand force-cool with a fan with the lid open to see if that helps any - or if...
if it were mine, I would:

remove the generic PSU and replace with a spare Corsair CX or CXM, CV650 (not the 550w or lower), EVGA BQ bronze or something half-way decent

remove HDD/SSD drives and anything else for bare-bones (just mobo + cpu + ram + IGP)

reseat RAM at least, probably remove cpu fan and clean / repaste

setup BIOS to ensure ram is set for XMP

boot up a linux USB like ubuntu in live mode and just surf with firefox to see if it's stable, if all is well install lmsensors, run sensors-detect and let the sensor output run in a terminal while getting the linux version of prime95, give it a run and see how things go for a while, if temps get out of hand force-cool with a fan with the lid open to see if that helps any - or if all is well shut down and add the storage then do some non-desctructive drive tests with badblocks etc, try to mount them up and see if the files are accessible etc.

pretty much what I do with any used gear that I get my hands on

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS