Specs:
CPU: 4770k
Cooler: H100i
MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VI
GPU: 780ti
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
HDD (OS): Samsung EVO 256gb
PSU: Thermaltake 750Smart

I built this system about 6 months ago and have been getting frequent BSOD crashed when the computer wakes from a sleep state (never crashes while in use gaming or video editing). I usually get the Kernal-General error code (Windows 8.1). I am not running a significant OC at all - just a boost to 4.2 using the ASUS 4-way optimization software.

I'm getting really sick of the crashes so was going to upgrade to the 4790k (and Hero VII mobo) while I wait for Skylake. I know I could probably run the 4790k in my current board, but if I upgrade I'll throw this cpu and mobo in an old case for a back up PC.

My question is - are there any things I could try to fix this before upgrading? I don't mind upgrading and could use the current board/cpu in a back up rig, but figured I should at least try (as I think they should be good enough to hold me over for Skylake).

cirdecus

Distinguished
Any OC boost is significant in terms of reliability and stability. I would set all clocks at default for all components. Then I'd wait for the next BSD. If you do get one even after setting the clocks at default, then download:

bluescreenview

This will give you specific information about the BSOD's and can pinpoint them down to a driver or process for us to troubleshoot further.

you can also do some blind hardware swaps, such as removing a stick of memory and then the other stick, etc.

Obviously, be sure you have the latest drivers AND firmware for your motherboard, including the latest BIOS from the ASUS site.

Brady Godwin

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

I'll do that - turn off the minor OC and wait for the next BSOD. Good idea :) I did flash the BIOS when built the system. Not sure how to update firmware (or even how that differs from BIOS).

Brady Godwin

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013

I'm using a thermaltake 750w smart. I've updated my video driver a few times as NVIDIA has released them, problem has always persisted though.