Question Frequent BSOD with similar stopcodes

Sunsepter

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Hey guys, I'm at a loss on this one and looking for some advice. Just today so far, I've had 3 BSOD with System_service or System_thread exceptions

I've been getting frequent BSOD while gaming or doing various tasks, on and off for months now. Originally I found it to be due to a faulty stick of RAM, which I got a replacement for. Same stick, no mix matched sticks. Ran a continuous mem test and found no errors. Issue persisted periodically. This tends to happen in sporadic bursts. Can be fine for a few days, and then I'll get 5 in a couple of hours with varying stopcodes. I'll link to a dropbox of the system specs and details, as well as 2 recent minidump files at the bottom. An interesting point for me to note is that I can often almost tell when these crashes are going to happen. My chrome will bomb out, or something will hang for a split second and then it will BSOD.

Things I've done:

Wiped the entire system with a fresh image of Win10 Pro
Ran a driver updater to verify many drivers were up to date.
Verified Windows update was up to date.
Ran a comprehensive virus/malware scan - nothing.
Ran Memtest, SFC, chkdsk - All clean.
Re-seated the GPU, RAM, HDD and SSD
Removed the OC on my RAM and CPU, issue persisted, applied the same OC back.

I'm running out of ideas, I'm assuming it's related to some driver(s) that need to be updated, but I can't seem to pinpoint which ones. The next thing I was going to do is do a complete re-install of my GPU driver, as I saw that one dump recently was due to that. But outside of that, I'm at a loss.

Dump Files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4390gr50t3wnz08/030719-5125-01.dmp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1afn7dkyi2ptvow/030719-5234-01.dmp?dl=0

System Specs: (more than you'll need likely)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7rr941ts89l2d4/DESKTOP-EL6OKHF.txt?dl=0

If you need any information from me, let me know. I'll be looking forward to hearing back from someone if they have some ideas I can try.

Thanks

Some possible stability issues with running mixed single/dual channel modes with XMP? The listed intel errata in ark doesn't specifically mention that, but does have two other mixed state errata specified. Would recommend trying just 16Gb running in dual channel to see if that helps.

Your hardware roundup states your GTX 1080 is only 4095Gb memory? Something being reported wrong there.

Sunsepter

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I am actually just now playing around with the extra stick and seeing if this board was capable of doing the 2 in dual and the 3rd in single. I was getting the issues before I tossed in the third stick, at about the same rate as now. Do you think it's worth removing it and going back to just the dual channel for the time being, or in general? I don't actually really need the third stick, but was interested in seeing the performance.

That is interesting, it is definitely an 8gb card, I wonder what could cause that to be reporting wrong.

Hello Sunsepter.

Some additional thoughts:

Your case cooling not specified. With only a 6 phase design on the motherboard, that may introduce some issues as these may get quite warm. Additional cooling specifically for this area may help stability.
PSU not specified. Just want to reduce the possibility that is a consideration if it is marginal.
SOME early GTX 1080's had cooling issues. You appear to have an EVGA card. You can check on yours here: https://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

Some people have problems with overlay on and hardware acceleration in Discord. With your cam and whatnot, I am assuming running Discord is a must and running those Discord features is a must?

Driver updater programs can introduce their own problems if the updater program believes you have certain hardware that isn't an exact match. Would limit motherboard drivers to your MSI provided ones. If updating chipset components manually, Check the manufacturer's website directly.

Minidumps indicated faults in basic windows components ntoskrnl, dxgkrnl, dxgmms2, hal, and NVidia's nvlddmkm. You have indicated a system wipe and reinstallation, so that SHOULD be a clean graphics install (unless your driver updater messed with that). Not very helpful it seems unfortunately, but someone else may recognize a familiar issue while looking through them.