Question Frequent BSOD

Feb 6, 2020
I have a problem with my system crashing intermittently with no real pattern that I can discern. It mostly does it during gaming sessions, but with no real timeline I can pinpoint. It's usually after several hours, but occasionally within one. The PC was secondhand and didn't do this when I first bought it but has done so with increasing and decreasing regularity across my ownership.

The Pc had a short heat issue when the CPU fan died, but the crashing hasn't increased since then, and I used an impromptu cooling setup that kept it constantly at or under 45c (a couple occasions it might have hit 50-60 , but these were few and far in between and shut down pretty quickly). The CPU cooling system now has been completely replaced with a 140mm Heatsink/fan combo that keeps it running under 40c even under heavy load.

At one point when I took it apart, I found some sort of buildup on the RAM sticks, and one wasn't firing, but I cleaned it off with alcohol and the system boots, recognizes, and uses both sticks since then.
It's fairly frustrating since I can generally play games for a few hours before the crash just takes me out of them, and it keeps me out of competitive modes for fear of penalties. When not crashing, the system generally runs Overwatch at 55-70 FPS , with some occasional dips, and the GPU tends to sit around ~45-65c. I'm at a point where I'll probably update some of the more dated pieces of the system, but I would like an idea of what's putting this bad juju on me before I do so.

I THINK that the BIOS is up to date, but I could be mistaken. It's also worth mentioning that occasionally, the system will simply blackscreen and restart without a BSOD. I also had the system completely restart on me when I attempted to run a stress test via Prime95

System specs:
AMD FX4300 3.8ghz quad core
8GB DDR3 RAM
GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
500w Power Supply
Windows 10 64 bit

4 most recent crash records via Whocrashed:

On Thu 2/6/2020 12:37:47 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020620-27937-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x47FE8)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFBA062587A028, 0xB6000000, 0x100153)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 2/6/2020 12:37:47 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: pshed.dll (PSHED!PshedBugCheckSystem+0x10)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFBA062587A028, 0xB6000000, 0x100153)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\pshed.dll
description: Platform Specific Hardware Error Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 2/5/2020 8:37:50 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020520-35187-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFAF8279AAA028, 0xB6000000, 0x100153)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 2/4/2020 3:43:10 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020420-32109-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFDC09ACD9A028, 0xB6000000, 0x100153)

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020
UPDATE; I took it apart to reseat everything just to be sure, and the GPU had been installed over a cable and was crimping it pretty hard, it was the one going to the front USB/Audio, I believe. I got some slack out of it and moved it out of the way of the GPU and reseated it. Haven't done much testing, but I have doubts that this was the issue.