Question Frequent BSODs and freezes! I'm going CRAZY!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
I'm having daily freezes and crashes and blue screens of death! I'm going CRAZY! I've googled the messages I get:
IRQL not less than or equal
WHEA uncorrectable blah blah
There was one about a kernal?
attemped execute of no execute memory

The solutions I've read all say either a driver or hardware. On the device manager, there are no devices with a ! on them, PLUS ive gone through each item and they all say they have the latest drivers.

I know it's a hardware issue. Guides say "Find the hardware at fault" but HOW? None of them tell me how to find which specific hardware is causing this nightmare.

Here is my minidump folder along with computer specs and dxdiag:

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
Ran the Prime95 'small' test for hours, and no fails or freezes. Also, as far as reinstalling the video drivers... do i need to worry also about the Integrated Intel drivers? When I install a new driver for my NVidia card, i do a clean install but ive never messed with the intel integrated stuff. Would there be a driver conflit? like maybe the computer would try to use both the Intel and the Nvidia drivers at once? Intel HD Graphics 530

zx128k

Reputable
Ran the Prime95 'small' test for hours, and no fails or freezes. Also, as far as reinstalling the video drivers... do i need to worry also about the Integrated Intel drivers? When I install a new driver for my NVidia card, i do a clean install but ive never messed with the intel integrated stuff. Would there be a driver conflit? like maybe the computer would try to use both the Intel and the Nvidia drivers at once?
So this is heading towards being likely fixable. If you run your PC in high performance mode, does the issues go away?

zx128k

Reputable
What do you mean, more specifically? the Prime95 tests?
Nope just use your PC, with the power mode in control panel set to high performance. Play games and watch videos. Test different software fixes if you like. Upgrading the graphic card driver or downgrading the driver to an older version and see if that helps. Uninstall and reinstall all your drivers, do the chipset driver first.

Ran the Prime95 'small' test for hours, and no fails or freezes. Also, as far as reinstalling the video drivers... do i need to worry also about the Integrated Intel drivers? When I install a new driver for my NVidia card, i do a clean install but ive never messed with the intel integrated stuff. Would there be a driver conflit? like maybe the computer would try to use both the Intel and the Nvidia drivers at once? Intel HD Graphics 530
Nothing of the sort… The Nvidia drivers are much better than Windows drivers. They are specifically written for the specific video card and like any other hardware works with the enclosed drivers, so do Nvidia video cards. Microsoft doesn't know which video card any Windows user is going to be using, so they write very basic drivers which don't allow getting the most out of a video card.

GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
I used DDU from safe mode, then rebooted, then installed the driver(chose clean install) from that link. I was nervous at first as when I clicked it, it said driver for the 4060 ti, but i lookjed at the website closer, and it's the driver for my card as well, so I installed it... now i just need to observe computer for the next day or two....

I will keep you guys posted. If i have a crash again, then i will do a Furmark test.

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
So yesterday it was fine, seemed more stable, able to do stuff with no problem... then today i got yet another BSOD.

"DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL"

here's the dump file for it...

losing my mind here...

zx128k

Reputable
I cant access the dump file. Did you update all your drivers?

USB devices can cause an IRQL not less or equal issue.
So can other drivers. We need to troubleshoot and find which part is causing the BSOD.

If this was me I would reset the windows install and reinstall all the drivers.

This is the normal troubleshoot for this issue.

Prime 95 covered.

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Windows 10 error is displayed on the computer screen. There may be a problem with the RAM, so you will need to check the RAM. So how do you check if the RAM is wrong? You can run the Windows Memory Diagnostics.

Here's the way of how to check if the RAM is wrong.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Can you please try changing the power plan to HIGH PERFORMANCE and see whether the BSODs stop? I have seen a few systems where the system was stable when the CPU was under load but would BSOD when at idle.

When a processor goes into the idle state (because there is no available work) Windows changes the processor C-State to put it in a lower power mode. This saves power and reduces heat. The problem is that some processors seem to become unstable in this lower power state, that may be what's happening here.

Changing the power plan to HIGH PERFORMANCE disables these C-States and all processors run at full power all the time. If this stops the BSODs then you likely have a CPU that is flaky in low power C-States.

zx128k

Reputable
Can you please try changing the power plan to HIGH PERFORMANCE and see whether the BSODs stop? I have seen a few systems where the system was stable when the CPU was under load but would BSOD when at idle.

When a processor goes into the idle state (because there is no available work) Windows changes the processor C_State to put it in a lower power mode. This saves power and reduces heat. The problem is that some processors seem to become unstable in this lower power state, that may be what's happening here.

Chjanging the power plan to HIGH PERFORMANCE disables these C-States and all processors run at full power all the time.
Already stated that. Hopefully he did it. Would explain the youtube/browser crashing. Also this will make his GPU run a maximum clocks as well. Keep the suggestions comming, this guy needs all the help he can get.

Reactions: ubuysa

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
Tried setting my power plan to high performance. Between that and the DDU, the crashes do seem less frequent.

However, that last BSOD was a bit different. Usually IRQL NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL did not ALSO say 'DRIVER' at the beginning of it. So this is a new one for me.

I don't want to have to re-install Windows... I'd lose so many files and work and time... that's a last resort, but unfortunately i seem to be running out of working options...

zx128k

Reputable
The INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD occurs when a hardware device or a software program launches a request to the processor, but the processor fails to execute it. This can make the Windows operating system crash, leading to a Blue Screen of Death.

The standard troubleshoot is here.

Got two freezes and ANOTHER BSOD since my last post. This one was called INTERRUPT EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.

Here are the two dump files just from today...

What in the HECK is going on...
The Dump files are in computer language... PAGE, PAGE, PAGE, PAGE... and so on. Download "BlueScreenView" and see if it can read that... Also download HWiNFO run it and keep it running so it can monitor your hardware and report issues such as WHEA errors at the bottom of the Sensors page.

BlueScreenView v1.55

HWiNFO

7 Ways to Fix Interrupt Exception Not Handled in Windows

ubuysa

Distinguished
The two recent minidumps you uploaded have different bugchecks, although both are driver related. The cause is pretty clear, the Nvidia graphics driver (nvlddmkm.sys) is on the call stack of both dumps, and just before the bugcheck too....
Rich (BB code):
052823-10687-01.dmp
fffff806`67415338  fffff806`62c0fd29 nt!KiBugCheckDispatch+0x69
fffff806`67415340  00000000`0000000a
fffff806`67415348  00000000`00000000
fffff806`67415350  00000000`000000ff
fffff806`67415368  ffffcc03`db835000
fffff806`67415410  fffff806`67415470
fffff806`67415418  fffff806`9018a65b nvlddmkm+0x9a65b
Rich (BB code):
052823-11171-01.dmp
fffff801`5e215838  fffff801`5940b45a nt!KiGeneralProtectionFault+0x31a
fffff801`5e215840  00000000`00000000
fffff801`5e215848  00000000`00000000
fffff801`5e215850  00001af8`0a3342c9
fffff801`5e215858  fffff801`865559cd nvlddmkm+0x759cd
The version of nvlddmkm.sys that you have installed is current...
Rich (BB code):
0: kd> lmDvmnvlddmkm
Browse full module list
start             end                 module name
fffff801`864e0000 fffff801`89d7a000   nvlddmkm T (no symbols)         
    Loaded symbol image file: nvlddmkm.sys
    Image path: nvlddmkm.sys
    Image name: nvlddmkm.sys
    Browse all global symbols  functions  data
    Timestamp:        Fri May 19 13:14:23 2023 (64674BFF)
    CheckSum:         0379B4A7
    ImageSize:        0389A000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
    Information from resource tables:

I would try the two versions of nvlddmkm.sys immediately prior, using DDU to remove the old driver before installing the new one. If the BSODs continue with all three recent driver versions then it's most likely the graphics card itself that's at fault.

zx128k

Reputable
General Protection Fault errors generally occur when software tries to access and use a section of memory that is being utilized by another process or program.

The first one is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Try reducing the core clock for the GPU by -50.

Standard troubleshoot steps here.

ubuysa

Distinguished
A General Protection Fault occurs whenever any of several page protection mechanisms is violated.

The virtual address space structure prevents one process from accessing another processes memory - because each process runs in it's own virtual address space, and thus uses its own page tables.

Most drivers run in kernel mode, which means that they have access to kernel memory and data structures, so other page protection mechanisms are used here. Pages are protected by being read only, execute only, by Data Execution Prevention, by being in a pageable or non-pageable pool, by the access list of shared memory, and others. Violating any of these page protection mechanisms will result in a general protection fault and the 0xC0000005 exception code (memory access violation) that we see in the first dump.

It is almost always a third-party kernel-mode driver that causes these kinds of memory protection violation. Sometimes it's because they are poorly coded and/or tested, sometimes it's because a pointer used to reference memory (buffers) becomes corrupted due to an unforeseen error, sometimes it's because the device being managed misbehaves causing an unexpected event in the driver, and sometimes it's because the driver's memory reference is fine but the RAM page backing that virtual storage page is bad.

All you really know from a general protection fault is that a memory access attempt violated a page protection mechanism. And that the culprit is almost always either a third-party driver screw-up or a hardware issue (most usually RAM).

Source: Windows Internals 7th Edition, by Mark Russinovich and others, Part 1, Chapter 5: Memory Management, Page Protection mechanisms. (ISBN 978-0-7356-8418-8 )

Reactions: zx128k

zx128k

Reputable
Secure intercepts
There are cases where the Secure Kernel may need to prevent the NT kernel, which executes at a lower VTL, from accessing certain critical system resources. For example, writes to some processor’s MSRs could potentially be used to mount an attack that would disable the hypervisor or subvert some of its protections. VSM provides a mechanism to allow a higher VTL to lock down critical system resources and prevent access to them by lower VTLs. The mechanism is called secure intercepts.

Secure intercepts are implemented in the Secure Kernel by registering a synthetic interrupt, which
is provided by the hypervisor (remapped in the Secure Kernel to vector 0xF0). The hypervisor, when
certain events cause a VMEXIT, injects a synthetic interrupt to the higher VTL on the virtual processor
that triggered the intercept. At the time of this writing, the Secure Kernel registers with the hypervisor for the following types of intercepted events:

* Write to some vital processor’s MSRs (Star, Lstar, Cstar, Efer, Sysenter, Ia32Misc, and APIC base
on AMD64 architectures) and special registers (GDT, IDT, LDT)
* Write to certain control registers (CR0, CR4, and XCR0)
* Write to some I/O ports (ports 0xCF8 and 0xCFC are good examples; the intercept manages the
reconfiguration of PCI devices)
* Invalid access to protected guest physical memory

When VTL 0 software causes an intercept that will be raised in VTL 1, the Secure Kernel needs to
recognize the intercept type from its interrupt service routine. For this purpose, the Secure Kernel usesthe message queue allocated by the SynIC for the “Intercept” synthetic interrupt source (see the “Inter-partition communication” section previously in this section for more details about the SynIC and SINT).

The Secure Kernel is able to discover and map the physical memory page by checking the SIMP syn-
thetic MSR, which is virtualized by the hypervisor. The mapping of the physical page is executed at the
Secure Kernel initialization time in VTL 1. The Secure Kernel’s startup is described later in this chapter.

Intercepts are used extensively by HyperGuard with the goal to protect sensitive parts of the normal
NT kernel. If a malicious rootkit installed in the NT kernel tries to modify the system by writing a par-
ticular value to a protected register (for example to the syscall handlers, CSTAR and LSTAR, or model-
specific registers), the Secure Kernel intercept handler (ShvlpInterceptHandler) filters the new register’s value, and, if it discovers that the value is not acceptable, it injects a General Protection Fault (GPF) nonmaskable exception to the NT kernel in VLT 0. This causes an immediate bugcheck resulting in the system being stopped. If the value is acceptable, the Secure Kernel writes the new value of the register using the hypervisor through the HvSetVpRegisters hypercall (in this case, the Secure Kernel is proxying the access to the register).

CHAPTER 9 Virtualization technologies, Windows Internals 7th Edition Part 2. Page 348 -349

Cause​

GPFs can occur when one program in memory attempts to access another area of memory assigned to a different program.

Resolving The Problem​

Something running within the Windows environment has made a call to a location in memory that it did not have access to, potentially overwriting and corrupting other program code in that area of memory. When Windows detects this, it closes down the offending program and announces that a GPF has occurred.

Another situation where a GPF may occur involves the passing of parameters between applications and the Windows environment. Invalid parameters affect the performance of Windows and its applications by forcing an invalid instruction. This is usually the result of an applications internal program code incorrectly passing specific data that could not be correctly interpreted for Windows or another Windows application. The result is often a GPF.

Basic troubleshooting tips are to check the system resources, the settings for Virtual Memory and disc drive space. Check if an anti-virus program is loaded in the memory because this sometimes interferes with a web browser's operation and can cause crashes.

Overclocking can cause this as well because corruption of data occurs. If this happens at stock clocks then the issue is a hardware fault.

Last edited:

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
Okay, so... i used DDU again in safe mode to uninstall my video drivers, then restarted into safe mode again to install drivers from 2-3 versions ago (had to from safe mode cause regular restart caused windows update to install video drivers without me). So far everything is behaving... so we'll see.

Also, while i am not overclocked, i was advised to 'underclock' a little, by -50. But... i forgot how to do that.

I'll observe t see how things go for a couple of days. Also, i noticed Youtube seems to be a factor. If I do youtube, then a game, or vice versa, I am almost sure to crash, if i do not do a restart first. One crash did happen when i was watching Youtube... and doing nothing else.

zx128k

Reputable
Okay, so... i used DDU again in safe mode to uninstall my video drivers, then restarted into safe mode again to install drivers from 2-3 versions ago (had to from safe mode cause regular restart caused windows update to install video drivers without me). So far everything is behaving... so we'll see.

Also, while i am not overclocked, i was advised to 'underclock' a little, by -50. But... i forgot how to do that.

I'll observe t see how things go for a couple of days. Also, i noticed Youtube seems to be a factor. If I do youtube, then a game, or vice versa, I am almost sure to crash, if i do not do a restart first. One crash did happen when i was watching Youtube... and doing nothing else.
Youtube on one monitor and a game on the second is a nVidia drive issue I remember. Playing world of warcraft on one monitor and watch raid videos on the other = freeze. This was a long time ago.

Last edited:
Some thoughts:

1: Haven't seen it recommended yet; download/run memtest86 off a USB stick/DVD and see if it picks up any faults. So many issues makes me suspect a physical fault rather then a misbehaving driver, so may as well knock out the easiest to diagnose HW fault.

2: After using DDU, do not reinstall the drivers for the integrated GPU (for now at least, for debugging). If you can disable it from the BIOS, that would be even better.

3: Given a few bugchecks hit the NVIDIA driver, if steps 1-2 both fail to turn up anything you can try removing/disabling the NVIDIA GPU and running off the integrated one, just to see if the problem is a HW fault with NVIDIA's GPU.

zx128k

Reputable
Some thoughts:

1: Haven't seen it recommended yet; download/run memtest86 off a USB stick/DVD and see if it picks up any faults. So many issues makes me suspect a physical fault rather then a misbehaving driver, so may as well knock out the easiest to diagnose HW fault.

2: After using DDU, do not reinstall the drivers for the integrated GPU (for now at least, for debugging). If you can disable it from the BIOS, that would be even better.

3: Given a few bugchecks hit the NVIDIA driver, if steps 1-2 both fail to turn up anything you can try removing/disabling the NVIDIA GPU and running off the integrated one, just to see if the problem is a HW fault with NVIDIA's GPU.
He was asked to run large and small prime 95 ffts. He did for many hours. He could try disabling the igpu.

All the guides I posted have memory tests in them. Large ffts is one of the best memory tests and this has been run for hours. We have stated trying just the igpu. Hopefully its just the driver version he is using.

TestMem5 is another memory test that is good for fault finding. Most guides recommended Extreme1@anta777.cfg for the test config.

ubuysa

Distinguished
I've gone back and had a much closer look at the eight dumps that you've uploaded so far to see whether there is a common thread. There are, I think, two areas for you to focus on: the graphics card/driver and the processor (CPU).

Of the eight dumps, four of them reference nvlddmkm.sys in the call stack (051823-10140-01.dmp, 052323-10468-01.dmp, 052823-10687-01.dmp, and 052823-11171-01.dmp) and that's too big a percentage to ignore. Fortunately it's easy to test the graphics card (and driver) on your system because the Intel CPU has an iGPU. I would suggest (if it BSODs again) that you try the following:
  1. Download the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and use that to ensure your Intel drivers are up to date (especially the Intel graphics driver).
  2. Remove the Nvidia graphics card and plug in to the motherboard (iGPU) port.
Your graphics performance will be dire of course, but if it won't BSOD in that configuration then there is definitely an issue with the Nvidia graphics card or driver.

Of the other four dumps, two have third-party drivers on the call stack...
  • 051523-10156-01.dmp references farflt.sys, which is a Malwarebytes driver. Malwarebytes rarely causes problems provided it's kept updated, and the version of farflt.sys that you have is current (March 2023), so I wouldn't advise doing anything with Malwarebytes yet, especially since this dump is a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bugcheck.
  • 051623-7531-01.dmp references Netwtw04.sys (an Intel WiFi driver dated Feb 2022) and L1C63x64.sys (a Qualcomm Atheros PCIe LAN driver dated Sept 2017 - look for an updated driver for this one). It's unusual to see calls to both a wireless driver and a LAN driver in the same call stack. How are you connecting to the Internet?
The remaining two dumps have no third party drivers on their call stacks and that's often an indicator of a hardware problem....
  • 051823-10125-01.dmp (an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - which is a bugcheck you never see in Windows functions) fails as the processor comes out of idle and begins processing the DPC queue. This dump strongly suggests a hardware issue - and we've talked about your CPU possibly being unstable at low power states already.
  • 051523-12890-01.dmp (a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bugcheck) doesn't seem to misbehave at all until it suddenly fails, so this could be CPU related also.

If it still BSODs whilst running on only the iGPU then I think the focus should move to the CPU, and I think there are indications that it may be unstable at low power states - because it doesn't fail Prime95 (when under load) but it does fail when idle.

A RAM test is also a good idea. It's even worth running on one RAM stick at at time.

Reactions: zx128k

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
So I cleaned everything out again, and have been observing. After these last couple of days, the computer has been behaving, so i am reluctant to do any other steps. Games seem to work fine at lower settings. However, i have been actively avoiding running any videos like Youtube or whatever, so that may be partly why things are working.

I'll give till this coming Saturday to observe, then if no crashes or BSODs, then I will consider the older video driver as the solution and consider this case closed.

If i DO crash again before then, i will update here. After Saturday, if there are more issues, i will make a new thread with a link to this one for references.

Thanks guys! You're the best tech support forums out there!

TRENDING THREADS