Question Frequent BSODs and freezes! I'm going CRAZY!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
I'm having daily freezes and crashes and blue screens of death! I'm going CRAZY! I've googled the messages I get:
IRQL not less than or equal
WHEA uncorrectable blah blah
There was one about a kernal?
attemped execute of no execute memory

The solutions I've read all say either a driver or hardware. On the device manager, there are no devices with a ! on them, PLUS ive gone through each item and they all say they have the latest drivers.

I know it's a hardware issue. Guides say "Find the hardware at fault" but HOW? None of them tell me how to find which specific hardware is causing this nightmare.

Here is my minidump folder along with computer specs and dxdiag:

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
I knew it wouldn't last... left computer on idle to go use the loo and get coffee... came back to BSOD.

WHEA uncorrectible error...

here's it's dump file...

Wish i could make this stop... it gave me several days of no crashes, and now... here we go again.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Although this is a WHEA machine check exception BSOD, and thus apparently a hardware error, it is possible for a driver to cause this type of bugcheck.

There are three third-party drivers on the call stack of this dump...

mwac.sys is a component of Malwarebytes and the version you have is dated 29 April 2023 - which means it's probably current, Malwarebytes rarely causes problems as long as its kept updated. Even so, since you're having constant BSODs I'm going to suggest that you uninstall Malwarebytes using the instructions here. Once the system is stable you can consider re-installing it.

iaStorAC.sys is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, and it's been known to cause BSODs in the past. This driver is not required unless you're running a RAID array (which you're not) or you use Optane memory (which I don't think you are?). I don't have it installed for example. The version of iaStorAC.sys that you have is old, it's dated 10 December 2019. You could update it, the best way is to download the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and run that to look for Intel driver updates. Rather than update however, you might be better uninstalling it. Open Device Manager, expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section, and look for an entry called "Intel(R) n Series Chipset Family SATA ACHI Controller" where n is the CPU series number, eg 9). Right click this entry and select uninstall. Then reboot.

L1C63x64.sys is a Qualcomm Atheros PCI-e Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver - it drives your LAN port - the version you have installed is very old, it's dated 18 September 2017. This driver is used on a variety of different PCIe LAN cards, you should visit the website of your PCIe LAN card vendor and look for an updated driver. If you also have a WiFi card you might also try removing the PCIe LAN card completely and connecting via WiFi to prove whether this driver is involved.

I'm not saying that any of these drivers are causing your WHEA BSOD, but it's not impossible. I would suggest removing all three (and connecting via WiFi for a while) to prove that these drivers are not involved.

zx128k

Reputable
Although this is a WHEA machine check exception BSOD, and thus apparently a hardware error, it is possible for a driver to cause this type of bugcheck.

There are three third-party drivers on the call stack of this dump...

mwac.sys is a component of Malwarebytes and the version you have is dated 29 April 2023 - which means it's probably current, Malwarebytes rarely causes problems as long as its kept updated. Even so, since you're having constant BSODs I'm going to suggest that you uninstall Malwarebytes using the instructions here. Once the system is stable you can consider re-installing it.

iaStorAC.sys is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, and it's been known to cause BSODs in the past. This driver is not required unless you're running a RAID array (which you're not) or you use Optane memory (which I don't think you are?). I don't have it installed for example. The version of iaStorAC.sys that you have is old, it's dated 10 December 2019. You could update it, the best way is to download the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and run that to look for Intel driver updates. Rather than update however, you might be better uninstalling it. Open Device Manager, expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section, and look for an entry called "Intel(R) n Series Chipset Family SATA ACHI Controller" where n is the CPU series number, eg 9). Right click this entry and select uninstall. Then reboot.

L1C63x64.sys is a Qualcomm Atheros PCI-e Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver - it drives your LAN port - the version you have installed is very old, it's dated 18 September 2017. This driver is used on a variety of different PCIe LAN cards, you should visit the website of your PCIe LAN card vendor and look for an updated driver. If you also have a WiFi card you might also try removing the PCIe LAN card completely and connecting via WiFi to prove whether this driver is involved.

I'm not saying that any of these drivers are causing your WHEA BSOD, but it's not impossible. I would suggest removing all three (and connecting via WiFi for a while) to prove that these drivers are not involved.
I would update all the drivers or even try different version. Would be worth looking into the known issues of each installed driver and see if it is a possible source. Would only take about 1 hour to reinstall the drivers or even a clean install of windows.

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
So my computer's been behaving pretty well lately. I think the DDU fix combined with googling about youtube crashing me and following a fix for that as well, fixed my problems... for the most part. My last post linked a WHEA crash. Got another one today...

Is there still something I'm missing?

I did the iaStorAC.sys fix suggested though mine was r instead of n.

L1C63x64.sy How do i fix this one? How do i properly identify its vendor?

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
You need to visit the website for your PCIe LAN card vendor, that's where you'll find the latest driver.

Alternatively, in the Windows Update settings page, click on the blue 'View optional updates'link, expand the Driver Updates section and look for a PCIe LAN card driver there.

I think you need to consider the possibility that these are real hardware problems and test your RAM, CPU, and graphics cards.

To test your RAM download Memtest86, make a bootable USB drive from the extracted tool and then boot that USB drive, Memtest86 will start running as soon as it boots. If no errors are found after the four iterations of the 13 different tests, then restart Memtest and do another four iterations.

To test your CPU (and RAM to an extent) run Prime95. This will cause your CPU to run hot, so also run a temperature monitor (like CoreTemp). Run all three tests (small FFTs, large FFTs, and Blend) for as long as you can. If Prime95 reports errors, if you get a crash or BSOD, or if the CPU temp rises to dangerous levels, then stop the test.

To test your graphics card run Furmark. The GPU-Z and GPU Shark button in the Furmark test will let you check GPU temperature, stop the test if it rises to dangerous levels. To run the Furnmark test, click the GPU Stress Test button.

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
I've done all this and turned up nothing. I've tested the CPU, video card and RAM many times over and they all passed. Stability came when i used DDU to uninstall my video drivers and re-install an older version.mI also did a fix i found on Google when I searched for "Youtube freezes my computer"

Since those fixes, I've only had 2 crashes.

Drew125

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2014
I found this in the dump file. With the dump file pointing to the intel processor driver it is going to be 1 of 2 things.

1. your CPU is overclocked incorrectly and unstable, in which case I recommend reset all overclock values to default.

2. Your PSU is failing to deliver enough power and need to be replaced. To test this you would need new psu to put in place to see if the crashes stop.

MODULE_NAME: GenuineIntel

IMAGE_NAME: GenuineIntel.sys

STACK_COMMAND: .cxr; .ecxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_0_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR__UNKNOWN_IMAGE_GenuineIntel.sys

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
All that really tells you is that the machine check was detected by the CPU, it doesn't necessarily mean that the CPU was at fault - though it could well be.

Could you download and run Speccy please? When it's analysed your system, click File and then Publish Snapshot. You will be given a URL, please post that URL here.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
I don't see anything that leaps out at me in your Speccy output. Since these crashes and BSODs seem to happen pretty often I think it's worth starting your PC in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode most third party drivers are not loaded, only Microsoft drivers are loaded. If it crashes or BSODs in Safe Mode then you can be fairly certain that it's a hardware problem.

Note that, because most third party drivers are not loaded in Safe Mode, many of your devices will not function fully (or at all). Your display resolution will be downgraded for example, because you'll be using only the basic Windows display driver.

I suggest first starting in 'Safe Mode without networking' because that shouldn't load any third-party drivers. If it's stable in that mode then restart into 'Safe mode with networking' and see whether it's stable then too.

If it is stable in Safe Mode then your problems are almost certainly third-party driver related and we can see about finding the culprit.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
You said in your OP that "I'm having daily freezes and crashes and blue screens of death" so it may not be necessary to stress test the PC in Safe Mode. Just use it as much as you are able, for as long as you can stand it - and at least long enough to have normally had a BSOD.

The most recent dump happened whilst the particular proc essor was idle, and yet there are no third-party drivers on the call stack. I would really like to see it started in Safe Mode and for you to use it as much as you are able, or just leave it for a few hours.

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
The thing is, in safe mode, i cannot do anything that would possibly lead to a crash, like gaming or youtube.... The computer does not crash if i just leave it desktop idle.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
I does crash in idle. That last BSOD was for an idle processor. If this is a hardware issue it will crash in Safe Mode. It's up to you though, if you don't want to run in Safe Mode that's fine, but it's my best suggestion.

Reactions: zx128k

zx128k

Reputable
I does crash in idle. That last BSOD was for an idle processor. If this is a hardware issue it will crash in Safe Mode. It's up to you though, if you don't want to run in Safe Mode that's fine, but it's my best suggestion.
The CPU could no longer be stable at idle but fine at maximum frequency. Thus passes prime95 but crashes at idle. Turning off c-state in bios could be a good test. This would be chasing a hardware fault with the CPU. Wouldn't require safe mode to test.

Safe mode BSOD would be a very bad outcome indeed.

Reactions: ubuysa

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
The CPU could no longer be stable at idle but fine at maximum frequency. Thus passes prime95 but crashes at idle. Turning off c-state in bios could be a good test. This would be chasing a hardware fault with the CPU. Wouldn't require safe mode to test.

Safe mode BSOD would be a very bad outcome indeed.
Excellent point!

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
I'm set to high performance now.

So today, I was playing an OLD game (Sid Meyer's Pirates) when it suddenly froze and pixelated, and the sound started making a loud buzz noise (video and audio stuck). I did not get a BSOD this time.

I checked the event log and saw this:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000004, 0x00000000000000ff, 0x00000000000000bc, 0xfffff8018401e6b0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\061723-7578-01.dmp. Report Id: a3ecf829-e39c-493b-8f64-bd0598bc617a.

Here is the corresponding dump file:

i wish i knew specifically what part was continuously causing all these issues, so i can gut it out and replace it.

zx128k

Reputable
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL has a bug check value of 0x0000000A.

Resolution​

If a kernel debugger is available, obtain a stack trace. Start by running the !analyze debugger extension to display information about the bug check. The !analyze extension can be helpful in determining the root cause. Next, enter one of the k* (display stack backtrace) commands to view the call stack.

Driver Verifier​

Driver Verifier is a tool that runs in real time to examine the behavior of drivers. For example, Driver Verifier checks the use of memory resources, such as memory pools. If it identifies errors in the execution of driver code, it proactively creates an exception to allow that part of the driver code to be further scrutinized. Driver Verifier Manager is built into Windows and is available on all Windows PCs.

To start Driver Verifier Manager, type verifier at a command prompt. You can configure which drivers to verify. The code that verifies drivers adds overhead as it runs, so try to verify the smallest number of drivers as possible. For more information, see Driver Verifier.

Remarks​

The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

If you encounter bug check 0xA while upgrading to a newer version of Windows, the error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that's incompatible with the new version.

Resolving a faulty hardware problem: If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. Run hardware diagnostics that are supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

Resolving a faulty system service problem: Disable the service and confirm whether doing so resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer of the system service about a possible update. If the error occurs during system startup, investigate the Windows repair options. For more information, see Recovery options in Windows 10.

Resolving an antivirus software problem: Disable the program and confirm whether doing so resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer of the program about a possible update.

For general information about troubleshooting bug checks, see Blue screen data.

Last edited:

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
i do not know how to use the kernel debugger. I did install and update it, though.

Driver Verifier looks a bit over my head and very confusing. I am unsure how to run it.

And, yes I know its a faulty hardware problem, system service, or BIOS. That's not the problem. The problem has been, from the start of all this, identifying WHICH.

"If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component" WHAT component?

"Disable the service" WHAT service?

That's the entire problem... finding out what's causing these.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
That last 0xA bugcheck was caused by the Nvidia graphics driver nvlddmkm.sys - again!....
Code:
0: kd> !dpx
Start memory scan  : 0xfffff801888152a8 ($csp)
End memory scan    : 0xfffff80188816000 (Kernel Stack Base)

rsp : 0xfffff801888152a8 : 0xfffff80184210029 : nt!KiBugCheckDispatch+0x69
0xfffff801888152a8 : 0xfffff80184210029 : nt!KiBugCheckDispatch+0x69
0xfffff801888152d0 : 0xfffff8018401e6b0 : nt!KeAcquireSpinLockAtDpcLevel+0x30
0xfffff80188815398 : 0xfffff801c0a35b85 : dxgmms2!VidSchDdiNotifyDpc+0x2b5
0xfffff801888153e8 : 0xfffff8018420bbe3 : nt!KiPageFault+0x463
0xfffff801888153f0 : 0x0000000000000000 :  Trap @ fffff801888153f0
Unable to load image nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
0xfffff80188815448 : 0xfffff80184100360 : nt!HalpProcessorPrepareForIdle
0xfffff801888154c8 : 0xfffff8019ffc1f10 : dxgkrnl!DpGlobals+0x410
0xfffff80188815558 : 0xfffff8018401e6b0 : nt!KeAcquireSpinLockAtDpcLevel+0x30
0xfffff801888155a8 : 0xfffff801843654f5 : nt!PpmIdleUpdateConcurrency+0x35
0xfffff801888155e8 : 0xfffff80184082782 : nt!PpmIdleExecuteTransition+0xa92
0xfffff80188815608 : 0xfffff801841a0899 : nt!HalpWheaReadMsrStatus+0x3d
0xfffff80188815638 : 0xfffff801841a0824 : nt!HalpMcaReadErrorPresence+0x4c
0xfffff80188815758 : 0xfffff8018408b6d0 : nt!KiExecuteAllDpcs+0x460
0xfffff80188815998 : 0xfffff801840f625a : nt!HalPerformEndOfInterrupt+0x1a
0xfffff801888159e8 : 0xfffff80184081b74 : nt!PoIdle+0x374
0xfffff80188815b58 : 0xfffff801842008e4 : nt!KiIdleLoop+0x54
0xfffff80188815b68 : 0xfffff80184b27a00 : nt!KiInitialThread
I would put money on this being a graphics card hardware problem, you've been getting nvlddmkm.sys BSODs and WHEA BSODs, and nothing that you do software wise seems to help. If the latest graphics driver and the two immediately prior versions all BSOD then it's a graphics card problem.

Try running Furmark to stress the graphics card.

zx128k

Reputable
Nvidia RTX 2060S (Super) was his dGPU, his cpu has the Intel HD Graphics 530 iGPU. He could test on the iGPU. He could try reseating the RTX 2060S. The main thing is that the game he was running wouldn't have max loaded the dGPU.

Every so he has ran Prime 95, stress testing the GPU is a good idea. Driver Verifier can help here as well.

Talloak

Commendable
Jun 20, 2020
I will try this when i can.

I did notice this morning that the device manager showed a questioned item. It shows a PCI Device, listed under 'Other Devices'. It sees that there is a device there, but cannot tell what kind of device it is. I tried uninstalling it but it came back after a reset. Trying to update the driver, it said "could not find drivers for your device', and when i looked at properties, it said

'The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.'