Question Frequent BSODs - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Jordakn

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
Yo,

I routinely get anywhere from 1~3 BSOD per day, starting when I built this rig nearing half a year ago.

I've tried all I can think of to troubleshoot the problem, but I cannot for the life of me get Visual Studio to open dump files, or WinDBG to handle symbols correctly. My hope is someone here can do that part for me.

Need any more info, please ask; if it has to do with updating drivers or checking my memory, I promise I've done what I can to verify and update what should be obvious.

Most recent minidump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j5cGT50u5d6aetcHhGc7ARhRo8wgwsrb/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/twnm36x0/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:021321-9031-01.dmp (Feb 13 2021 - 14:54:14)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 57 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/
There BIOS updates available for your system. You are using version 2607 and the latest is version 3405. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: Jordakn

Colif

Win 11 Master
crash text includes NDIS. NDIS.sys = Network Driver Interface Specification.
your LAN drivers are this year but your WIFI drivers aren't. What WIFI card are you using?
Sep 21 2017athw10x.sysQualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver

Might be time for a new WIFI card, I would get one that is marked as one of these 3 - WIFI6/AX/AC2100 - they are all in fact the same thing, the latest WIFI standard. If you get one of those you won't need a new one for a few years.

Reactions: Jordakn

Jordakn

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
Apologies for presuming I had the latest BIOS version!! I hate to look like an ass, haha. I'm so used to running older hardware. I had no idea there's been another 6 updates in 6 months!

I believe I have the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900! I've had the card for around 2-3 years without issue, so it must have only started causing issues when I changed a lot of hardware around. That said, you're probably right that it's nearing the end of its life.

Thinking about it, this answer is very likely - I'm wired directly into the wall, but I keep the wifi card in for redundancy (I don't know if that could be part of the problem). If my Internet connection drops for a moment, my PC hangs, and only occasionally recovers. This happens most often when streaming video, which makes a lot of sense to me that it would fail to buffer, possibly conflict while switching from LAN to wifi, and subsequently crash. Maybe I'm only seeing patterns where I want to, but it makes sense to me.

I will first try disconnecting my wifi card entirely and see what happens for the next few days. If I'm clear of BSOD, I'll try both updating my BIOS and then see if I can do anything for the wifi card.

Thanks so much!

Colif

Win 11 Master
The worst part about the WIFI card is finding drivers for it. Broadcom who make the chips don't make their own drivers. They relied on another company called Killer Internet to do the software but sometime in the last 2 years, that company got taken over by Intel and now only support Intel cards. If the chip in card was made by realtek or Intel, it might be easier fix than buying a new card.

crash text includes NDIS. NDIS.sys = Network Driver Interface Specification.
your LAN drivers are this year but your WIFI drivers aren't. What WIFI card are you using?
Sep 21 2017athw10x.sysQualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver

Might be time for a new WIFI card, I would get one that is marked as one of these 3 - WIFI6/AX/AC2100 - they are all in fact the same thing, the latest WIFI standard. If you get one of those you won't need a new one for a few years.
It so happens that the LAN drivers are the only network drivers I see involved in this.
From wat it looks like, the LAN drivers are also newer than what ASUS offers which is from July 2020.
Code:
6: kd> lmvm rt640x64
Browse full module list
start             end                 module name
fffff802`15e00000 fffff802`15f17000   rt640x64 T (no symbols)           
    Loaded symbol image file: rt640x64.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\rt640x64.sys
    Image name: rt640x64.sys
    Browse all global symbols  functions  data
    Timestamp:        Mon Jan  4 11:14:19 2021 (5FF2EA7B)
    CheckSum:         001252D9
    ImageSize:        00117000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
    Information from resource tables:

Reactions: Jordakn and Colif

Jordakn

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
I took out the wifi card, and soon after had a BSOD. I uninstalled athw10x.sys and the BSODs haven't happened in nearly a week. The only issue now is that I still get the occasional half-second freeze, but at least it doesn't seem to crash my system anymore.

I'll update BIOS when these rolling blackouts end, and I'll look into that LAN driver. Thanks all!

Jordakn

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
It so happens that the LAN drivers are the only network drivers I see involved in this.
From wat it looks like, the LAN drivers are also newer than what ASUS offers which is from July 2020.
Code:
6: kd> lmvm rt640x64
Browse full module list
start             end                 module name
fffff802`15e00000 fffff802`15f17000   rt640x64 T (no symbols)         
    Loaded symbol image file: rt640x64.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\rt640x64.sys
    Image name: rt640x64.sys
    Browse all global symbols  functions  data
    Timestamp:        Mon Jan  4 11:14:19 2021 (5FF2EA7B)
    CheckSum:         001252D9
    ImageSize:        00117000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
    Information from resource tables:

Looks like the BSOD stopping was a fluke. I've had some over the last few days, even after updating BIOS.

I double checked, and my LAN drivers are current with what is up on their site (what Colif linked): v10.46.1231.2020. I just uninstalled and reinstalled them, but these BSOD were happening before I updated to this version.

Any other ideas?

e: most recent minidump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-w-9FyvI65skNKiUQpkobYke-Mv-7BXJ/view?usp=sharing

Colif, I think your night is my morning/afternoon.

Jordakn, please upload the kernel memory dump in C:\Windows\MEMORY.dmp. It provides more data that could be used to investigate the crash. Mind that this file can be quite large, anywhere between a few hundred MBs to 1.5 or even 2GB. To preserve some space, it may be worth archiving it first. Its size depends on how much kernel memory was used at the time of the crash.

Jordakn

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
Colif, I think your night is my morning/afternoon.

Jordakn, please upload the kernel memory dump in C:\Windows\MEMORY.dmp. It provides more data that could be used to investigate the crash. Mind that this file can be quite large, anywhere between a few hundred MBs to 1.5 or even 2GB. To preserve some space, it may be worth archiving it first. Its size depends on how much kernel memory was used at the time of the crash.

Here's the stuff! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ls3s6ypk0Bv9LW_YBcWZl1FRsheqMyE-/view?usp=sharing

What I see is that the crash was similar as the previous dump.

If you had crashes before updating the drivers to the latest version, we may be missing information. Run the Sysnative BSOD Collection App to provide more insight, this app will collect a couple of different files that will be used to get a broader picture of what has happened on your computer regarding the crashes.

Jordakn

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
What I see is that the crash was similar as the previous dump.

If you had crashes before updating the drivers to the latest version, we may be missing information. Run the Sysnative BSOD Collection App to provide more insight, this app will collect a couple of different files that will be used to get a broader picture of what has happened on your computer regarding the crashes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w2knFHkOxQMIEaMVIMn0y5eCpvxv1vLr/view?usp=sharing