[SOLVED] Frequent BSODs even after clean install

May 23, 2020
Hey everyone,

Posting here looking for some help, now I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, have been building/ fixing computers for over 8 years, however lately my computer has been giving me nothing but trouble.

Basically I am getting random BSODs, several unique ones, also random freezing. Rebooting the computer fixes this, however it tends to happen at least once a day, today was 3 times. Also often when the computer tries to turn back on, I get a black bios screen that says A0 at the bottom right corner and it just stays there. Hard shutting down and turning back on resolves this.

I have done a clean install of windows a few weeks ago to try to resolve these issues, installing the latest drivers from manufacturer's website, latest bios and all and if anything it seems to be getting worse.

I ran DDU Uninstaller for my GPU drivers and reinstalled a couple weeks ago as well.

I have still yet to do a memory test on my RAM, i ran intel's diagnostic tool for my CPU which passed.

My last BSODs:

On Sat 5/23/2020 6:43:03 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052320-7625-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbxhci.sys (0xFFFFF80028D28DF8)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80028D28DF8)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbxhci.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: USB XHCI Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in a storage driver or controller driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

On Sat 5/23/2020 6:43:03 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: usbxhci.sys (0xFFFFF80028D28DF8)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80028D28DF8)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbxhci.sys
description: USB XHCI Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in a storage driver or controller driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

On Sat 5/23/2020 3:29:46 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052320-8046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C2390)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFAC050A036850, 0xFFFFAC050A0367A8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 5/10/2020 6:18:49 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051020-7718-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (0xFFFFF807093BA320)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF807093BA320, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 5/5/2020 6:26:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050520-7953-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C2390)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFF8000F82A2B0, 0xFFFFF8000F82A208, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 4/28/2020 8:17:57 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042820-7906-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF80729E70705)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80729E70705, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_95bdb3a23d6478de\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 445.87
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 445.87
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 445.87 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

*** Note that when the system freezes, no dump file is created. Also the usbxhci.sys issue is new, I was running the latest drivers from manufacturer for my USB PCI card, however since the BSOD I uninstalled the drivers and let Windows update replace them.

Specs:

i7-4770k

16GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM

Samsung Evo 960 500GB, a samsung Evo 850, and a couple HDDs

RTX 2080

1000w Antec psu

MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition Mobo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Hey there! Its about 4 years or so?? Yeah, I know it's not impossible, I've been running stress tests tonight, ran PSU test for a couple hours so far with no issues.

Its tough to get it to fail when you want it too

thanks for all the replys guys!
What PSU tests? There's no accurate way to test a PSU through software, only real way to test it is to either use it in another system or use a different PSU in your system.
May 23, 2020
Besides memory, this could be a motherboard or PSU fault, especially since you get various different BSOD errors, and it obviously isn't a software fault since you have redone your entire software already. Have you tried a BIOS update?

Hey there, thanks for the response!

I ran memtest86 over night, its still going and i\I'll let it continue running throughout the day, currently it's been going for 8 hours with 0 errors.

The PSU is 1000w Antec power supply, I imagine it is fine as the PSU is overkill for my PC, however I will not rule it out. My mobo and CPU are pretty old, they do the job performance wise, but if it continues to be unstable I have no issues replacing my mobo/cpu/ram if it comes down to it.

BIOS is up to date, all overclocking disabled, reset mobo to default settings

BiosVersion = V10.7
BiosReleaseDate = 02/16/2016 <-- current BIOS
SystemManufacturer = MSI
SystemProductName = MS-7922
BaseBoardManufacturer = MSI
BaseBoardProduct = Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)
BaseBoardVersion = 2.0
CPUID: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz"
MaxSpeed: 3500
CurrentSpeed: 3500

Thanks again for the help!

Hey there, thanks for the response!

I ran memtest86 over night, its still going and i\I'll let it continue running throughout the day, currently it's been going for 8 hours with 0 errors.

The PSU is 1000w Antec power supply, I imagine it is fine as the PSU is overkill for my PC, however I will not rule it out. My mobo and CPU are pretty old, they do the job performance wise, but if it continues to be unstable I have no issues replacing my mobo/cpu/ram if it comes down to it.

BIOS is up to date, all overclocking disabled, reset mobo to default settings

BiosVersion = V10.7
BiosReleaseDate = 02/16/2016 <-- current BIOS
SystemManufacturer = MSI
SystemProductName = MS-7922
BaseBoardManufacturer = MSI
BaseBoardProduct = Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)
BaseBoardVersion = 2.0
CPUID: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz"
MaxSpeed: 3500
CurrentSpeed: 3500

Thanks again for the help!
How old is your PSU? Just because it's overkill does not necessarily mean it can't die, though it is less likely.

May 23, 2020
How old is your PSU? Just because it's overkill does not necessarily mean it can't die, though it is less likely.

Hey there! Its about 4 years or so?? Yeah, I know it's not impossible, I've been running stress tests tonight, ran PSU test for a couple hours so far with no issues.

What PSU tests? There's no accurate way to test a PSU through software, only real way to test it is to either use it in another system or use a different PSU in your system.

Solution

lancerzero9

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Everything your saying sounds a lot like memory issues. Just buy new/used RAM and use your pc like normal and see what happens. memtest does not simulate everthing you can run into so it can pass that fine and still be the problem.

Also a 2080 on that old ass system is like a teenager driving grandpa's old car. Its a little worrisum.