[SOLVED] Frequent BSODs, freezes and crashes seemingly linked to "ntkrnlmp.exe" ?

Jun 3, 2021
Hi everyone, I'm having a lot of problems with my PC as of late. It keeps getting BSODs which typically happen at any random point. I have noticed that Google Chrome also tends to crash and gives me "status" errors, such as "STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION". I am not sure if these two are linked, but I noticed that it typically happens only when I am getting frequent BSODs.

The specs for my PC are as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz 16GB (2x 8GB sticks)
Motherboard: Aorus Elite X570
PSU: Corsair RM750
SSD: Kingston 480GB SATA SSD (this is what Windows is installed on)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB HDD

Originally I was certain that this was a hardware problem, so I swapped out a lot of the components in my PC. These are the things that I replaced:

PSU: I had a Corsair CX650, upgraded to the RM750 I have now.
Motherboard: I had the MSI Tomahawk MAX B450, upgraded to the Aorus Elite x570
RAM: I used to have two sticks of Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz 8GB RAM, swapped it out for the ones I have now but it didn't seem to make any difference.
SSD: I used to have an M.2 SSD with Windows installed on it, I thought that maybe I potentially damaged it when installing so I installed it on another SSD but the problem still remains.
HDD: I had a 1TB HDD that was quite old, so I thought that could have been the problem. Upgraded it to the one I have now but the problem still remains.

With all these changes, the exact problem remains. I have reinstalled Windows many times, and I think one time it worked fine with no BSODs whatsoever, however I broke it when I tried to download an older version of Windows to fix my capture card.

My PC also typically just either freezes and forces me to restart it, or it just shuts off with no blue screen at all (and no minidump file created).

Reading through the minidump files I have noticed that "ntkrnlmp.exe" seems to be the reason it crashes. Im quite inexperienced with Windows troubleshooting and I haven't read many minidump files before but it seems that "ntkrnlmp.exe" pops up in every one.
My PC crashes after about 2-5 minutes after booting it up, occasionally it lasts a bit longer but its very difficult to use my PC with all these crashes. Typically the crash stop codes are kernel related or IRQL related, however there are a plethora of different stop codes that I get every BSOD.

Here is a Google Drive link to 5 minidump files from my BSODs, hopefully the link works alright: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rK67hWvig8gTVAHWfj92Uh2CrNfeMuTU?usp=sharing

Apologies if I missed anything, if you need me to add anything to this post just ask! Thanks so much!

Solution
Hi everyone, I'm having a lot of problems with my PC as of late. It keeps getting BSODs which typically happen at any random point. I have noticed that Google Chrome also tends to crash and gives me "status" errors, such as "STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION". I am not sure if these two are linked, but I noticed that it typically happens only when I am getting frequent BSODs.

Originally I was certain that this was a hardware problem, so I swapped out a lot...

Originally I was certain that this was a hardware problem, so I swapped out a lot of the components in my PC. These are the things that I replaced:

PSU: I had a Corsair CX650, upgraded to the RM750 I have now.
Motherboard: I had the MSI Tomahawk MAX B450, upgraded to the Aorus Elite x570
RAM: I used to have two sticks of Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz 8GB RAM, swapped it out for the ones I have now but it didn't seem to make any difference.
SSD: I used to have an M.2 SSD with Windows installed on it, I thought that maybe I potentially damaged it when installing so I installed it on another SSD but the problem still remains.
HDD: I had a 1TB HDD that was quite old, so I thought that could have been the problem. Upgraded it to the one I have now but the problem still remains.

With all these changes, the exact problem remains. I have reinstalled Windows many times, and I think one time it worked fine with no BSODs whatsoever, however I broke it when I tried to download an older version of Windows to fix my capture card.

My PC also typically just either freezes and forces me to restart it, or it just shuts off with no blue screen at all (and no minidump file created).

Reading through the minidump files I have noticed that "ntkrnlmp.exe" seems to be the reason it crashes. Im quite inexperienced with Windows troubleshooting and I haven't read many minidump files before but it seems that "ntkrnlmp.exe" pops up in every one.
My PC crashes after about 2-5 minutes after booting it up, occasionally it lasts a bit longer but its very difficult to use my PC with all these crashes. Typically the crash stop codes are kernel related or IRQL related, however there are a plethora of different stop codes that I get every BSOD.

Here is a Google Drive link to 5 minidump files from my BSODs, hopefully the link works alright: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rK67hWvig8gTVAHWfj92Uh2CrNfeMuTU?usp=sharing

Apologies if I missed anything, if you need me to add anything to this post just ask! Thanks so much!
If you want to clean install the windows, update the bios to the latest and reboot to bios again to load optimized/default settings and disable csm, then disconnect from any internet connection, proceed clean install windows 10, and install amd chipset driver and reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced power plan.

if you dont want to clean install , try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Jun 3, 2021
I unfortunately already got a BSOD with the stop code "BAD_OBJECT_HEADER". I don't think I had seen this before, maybe something corrupted when reinstalling?

I looked into the minidump file and it says that its related to this "ntkrnlmp.exe" again, I'm not really sure if that means anything though.

I unfortunately already got a BSOD with the stop code "BAD_OBJECT_HEADER". I don't think I had seen this before, maybe something corrupted when reinstalling?

I looked into the minidump file and it says that its related to this "ntkrnlmp.exe" again, I'm not really sure if that means anything though.
maybe the last resort is to clean install windows...
Also dont forget, to install amd chipset driver after clean install windows, and disconnect the internet while installing the windows until reboot after installing chipset driver

Jun 3, 2021
Thank you, I will most likely do that. Occasionally my PC doesn't crash for a really long time (like 5 or so hours) so I just don't mess with it until it crashes.

I have noticed that applications like Google Chrome and Discord tend to crash or malfunction, and occasionally my screen goes black for a second. Do you think this could be related to the GPU then? Maybe my drivers keep failing to install properly or maybe there is something wrong with my GPU. I can recall a couple months ago my PC worked fine after I reinstalled windows, so there is a chance that it is not a hardware problem, but I really have no idea.

Jun 3, 2021
Hello, I have done a clean install of Windows as you said and I will keep you posted on how it goes. It crashed a couple times as I was installing Windows unfortunately, once when I was on the page where you select which storage to install Windows on, and once when I was onto the part where you select which keyboard layout you use etc. Not sure if this could help indicate the problem, but I thought it was interesting.

I have used my PC for about 30 mins without a crash, however it has done that thing where it crashes in Google Chrome once. This usually means that there is a problem, but I suppose I will just wait and see.

EDIT: I just got a BSOD after about an hour, code being "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION". I don't believe I really got this one many times before. Its worth noting that the entire screen froze about 10 seconds before the BSOD popped up.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021
Update: Changed my CPU from an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 to an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x and also installed a Noctua cooler and it fixed all my BSODs, just in case anyone else is having a similar problem to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koekieezz