Question Frequent BSODS in games and in idle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bargman

Commendable
May 12, 2019
Hi there all,

I already ran out of meaningful options and ideas what should i do. Best way to describe my problem will be list it point by point, so here it is:

0. PC ran well for almost two years, since i rebuild it on new motherboard: MSI MAG Tomahawk Z390 with 16 Intel Optane drive which i paired with 1TB Toshiba P300.

1. I decided to replace by 1TB Toshiba P300 to 3TB Toshiba P300, and there is my mistake, as i suppose: i just replace the drive without un-pairing it from optane. I have formatted it earlier and moved my games on the new drive, then i installed it in the PC.
  2. After booting my PC i noticed that optane is disabled, and the software tells me that in my system is no compatible drives. I resolved it after a while, reseting my optane drive under uefi of my motherboard. Then i set up the optane again.
  3. Then my PC started to behave odd: when i played Teardown, game freezes for about 30 seconds, but alt-tabing to windows works and system was responding. Then, when game unfreezes, after few minutes BSOD appears.
  4. PC restarts, and then bsod started showing in different situations: during starting of PC, on desktop, after connecting USB. At this point i realised that I have broke windows (uninstalling and installing optane software, changing settings in uefi etc.). So i decided to reinstall W10.
  5. I have disabled optane connection, then i have installed W10, downloaded directlly from MS.
  6. I have performed all the W10 updates, main and secondary ones and GPU drives.
  7. Then i started to setting up optane again on clear, new system, done everything step by step, no problems here.
  8. BSODs come again, in that order: 1. ntoskrnl.exe; 2. iaStorAC.sys; 3,4,5. ntoskrnl.exe. The forst one come in game, second, if i remember correctly, after a 1 hour of memtest, third, fourth and five in game.

What i have done:
  1. I used "chkdisk" on all drives, nothing found. New drive also clear from errors
  2. I have performed 1 of 4 runs of memtest, no errors - I did not have enough time to perform whole process. But RAM operate well, i have never faced any errors and bsods earlier.
  3. Yesterday afrer one of the blue screens i used command "sfc /scannow", and something was repaired, and after that PC ran well, i played WD Legion for few hours without interruptions. Today i started Cyberpunk and BSOD appears - ntoskrnl.exe.
  4. Started that command today: nothing found, everything fine.

What to be noted:
  1. Nothing is overclocked,
  2. Temps are fine, PC is well ventilated, i have SPC Regnum 4: 3 fans in front, two in upper part on one 2250RPM fan at the back.

The only idea what comes to me is to get rid of that optane drive, somehow reset the BIOS/UEFI of my mobo and reinstall windows once again, but i still belive that there is method to resolve this without such actions.

Links:
1. BSODS before reinstalling windows, after replacing HDD and reinstalling optane software:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zy30yivuy3ec4if/BSODS before reinstalling Windows.zip?dl=0

2. Bsods after reinstalling windows:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybpe4ak04ruzi3d/BSODS after reinstalling windows.zip?dl=0

bargman

Commendable
May 12, 2019
So have you made a new one since you’ve started having the issues?

I am not sure if i understood your question correctly.

I started to having those issues with my PC after i replaced HDD. After doing some changes in BIOS i have decided to reinstall system, and at that point i have created new creation tool. It was about 2 or 3 weeks ago. So far i have reinstalled W10 only once with it.

I am not sure if i understood your question correctly.

I started to having those issues with my PC after i replaced HDD. After doing some changes in BIOS i have decided to reinstall system, and at that point i have created new creation tool. It was about 2 or 3 weeks ago. So far i have reinstalled W10 only once with it.

Ah I see. Just windows can be funny all by itself I’ve had to reinstall windows due to it pretty much bricking itself with updates.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So, what does it mean? Every bsod is caused by somethung different?
I didn't do a good job explaining that, did I. Sorry about that.
A lot of the time I read this screen (see below) there will be lines above or below the ones that say Bluescreen, but in yours there is no indication of anything else happening around the errors. just other Bluescreen reports. So its not telling me anything useful.
19dPtDg.jpg

I wonder why it needs to be in RAID to boot. it shouldn't matter if you using nvme.
is there a raid array showing in Intel rapid Storage Technology?

trying to think of whats next. The BSOD are not pointing at drivers, but more windows. Windows Error Reporting is not giving any clues. Obviously give us any new dumps.

bargman

Commendable
May 12, 2019
I wonder why it needs to be in RAID to boot. it shouldn't matter if you using nvme.
is there a raid array showing in Intel rapid Storage Technology?

There is no raid array anywhere. In BIOS under "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" only SATA disks are listed. No nvme ADATA and Optane drive.

Either in Windows in application called "Intel Optane memory and Storage management", or in Device manager - in there all disks are visible as separate ones, even unformatted optane drive. When Optane was enabled and linked with HDD, it showed as something like: "Optane+HDD" or so, (two devices as one).

Also,
I thought that this reports will adjust to system version on what they are opened on. For me it was normal that it was opening in my native language Sorry.

Last edited:

bargman

Commendable
May 12, 2019
still going okay?
So far, suprisingly yes.

I have played some games, more and less demanding on PC and only crash i saw was game crashing by itself - WD Legion after some game update.

I will keep testing it, as before pc behaved similairly: one weekednd runs well, no crashes, and the next one constant bsods. During the workdays i did not have enough time and energy to play, only weekends.

Well, so far it seems that RAID option was causing those erros. Editing that registry entry and disabling RAID problably helps. But still - probably.

And i think, i will dump this whole optane thing. Instead of that small drive i will put there some proper nvme drive.