Question Frequent BSODs when rendering videos- After Effects and Resolve

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
I've been facing a bunch of BSODs on a fairly new computer when rendering or scrubbing 1080p and 4k videos in Davinci resolve and After Effects. I have a feeling this could be related to my CPU because most of these BSOD incidents happened when the CPU was running at full force.

Here are some of stop codes:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA
KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE

On bluescreenview 'caused by driver' says ntoskrnl.exe

My specs:
i9 10900k, MB: MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY, 64GB RAM(corsair 16x4), MSI RTX 3090 SUPRIM, nvme: 1TB,500GB, 3 sata hard drives. Running Windows 10 (latest update)

I'm tried running memory diagnostic tool and after a while of running it, it came back with no errors. All my drivers are up to date.

Here's my minidump- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iVVj_3VQoA2wHBgYiOgs7PX4x2m4N1aH/view?usp=sharing

I have a few questions:
  1. I have never updated my bios. Is that something I could try safely? What are the risks and is there is a possibility that it would fix it?
  2. Is Windows 11 working well? I have read mixed opinions on it which is why I haven't upgraded. Do you recommend it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

download and run autoruns from here:
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
find the two overclock drivers named
ntiolib_x64.sys
and delete the entries and reboot and see if your problem goes away.

most current bugcheck was due to a cpu instruction pointer issue.
this can be caused by overclocking, voltage issues or overheating.
I did not see a overclock but you should remove the overclock driver and retest.

updating the bios could provide better default voltages to the cpu. you should also apply various driver updates from your motherboard vendor. cpu firmware updates

the various updates can prevent future issues as windows 10 gets updated. intel firmware update would patch the security processor to prevent some hack attempts.

Last edited:
Reactions: RagAK

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
ntiolib_x64.sys

I did not see a overclock but you should remove the overclock driver and retest.

updating the bios could provide better default voltages to the cpu. you should also apply various driver updates from your motherboard vendor. cpu firmware updates

the various updates can prevent future issues as windows 10 gets updated. intel firmware update would patch the security processor to prevent some hack attempts.

Thanks a lot. I'll do the steps you suggested and let you know if it solves it.

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
ntiolib_x64.sys

I found 3 drivers named ''ntiolib_x64.sys'' and deleted them all. But then I reboot it and they're back in the autorun drivers tab. Do I need to uninstall MSi dragon centre first and then remove the drivers via autorun?
Also, I have MSI afterburner installed, but I haven't done anything with it. Could the BSODs be related to that in any way? Thanks!

I found 3 drivers named ''ntiolib_x64.sys'' and deleted them all. But then I reboot it and they're back in the autorun drivers tab. Do I need to uninstall MSi dragon centre first and then remove the drivers via autorun?
Also, I have MSI afterburner installed, but I haven't done anything with it. Could the BSODs be related to that in any way? Thanks!
yes, go ahead and uninstall. you must have something that automatically reinstalls the drivers.

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
yes, go ahead and uninstall. you must have something that automatically reinstalls the drivers.
Done that. Before I did that, I had 3 nasty BSODs in After effects just from trying to move a 3d layer. After I uninstalled MSI dragon center, afterburner and MSI SDK, I tried doing the exact same thing on the same file and didn't trigger a BSOD. It did take half a second to respond but I guess that;s just AE being slow, but with all that MSI stuff, it would just go full BSOD.
I'll monitor and try things out the next few days and give you an update. Thanks a lot!

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
I encountered the first BSOD since deleting all of the MSI programs and drivers that I had running. I was scrubbing through a composition in Adobe After Effects. Stop code- IRQL not less or equal. Caused by ntoskrnl.exe. The previous BSOD that I had before I uninstalled the programs was System service exception caused by NTFS.sys.

Here are the new minidump files- https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JdKUMLqt2ujH2JEQAzQjlIu9F8hnMU5_?usp=sharing

Please let me know if you're able to find something. Thank you very much!

re: 1.

What is your current bios level?
CPU-Z motherboard tab will tell you.
Normally, one should not update a bios unless the update includes a possible fix for a problem you are having.
In your case, there is a bios level A7 that references 3000 series graphics performance.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z490-UNIFY/support

These days a bios update is relatively safe so long as the process does not get interrupted.
Have patience, it may look like nothing is going on for 5-10 minutes.

Along the same lines, there may be an update to the nvidia driver for your 3090.
Download it directly from the nvidia site and do a clean install.
"driver helpers" may have hidden agendas.

re:2.

Unless there is a feature of windows 11 that you want or need, I would not update now.
W11 still has some issues.
Better the devil that you know.

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
re: 1.

What is your current bios level?
CPU-Z motherboard tab will tell you.
Normally, one should not update a bios unless the update includes a possible fix for a problem you are having.
In your case, there is a bios level A7 that references 3000 series graphics performance.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z490-UNIFY/support

These days a bios update is relatively safe so long as the process does not get interrupted.
Have patience, it may look like nothing is going on for 5-10 minutes.

Along the same lines, there may be an update to the nvidia driver for your 3090.
Download it directly from the nvidia site and do a clean install.
"driver helpers" may have hidden agendas.

re:2.

Unless there is a feature of windows 11 that you want or need, I would not update now.
W11 still has some issues.
Better the devil that you know.

CPU-z says BIOS version is A.30 dated 10/14/20. I don't think BSODs is a known issue a lot of users are having on this motherboard. From a previous discussion I realized the issue could be related to my RAM sticks, because I have 4 of them installed, and apparently they're not all the exact same type or Batch, even though they are the same brand and were purchased together. Is there a way I can find out more about it and look for a fix?

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll update the drivers and see if that helps. Thanks!

note: early bugcheck (oldest one) had intact versions of the windows core files.
but tool HeavyLoad.exe
it was running and making unexpected calls into the virtual paging system.
I would assume it has malware in it.

-------------------
someone released instructions on how to hack systems that have this driver installed:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\MsIo64.sys
you have the driver installed, also the calls looked like they involved
win32kfull.sys but not from a known function. your copy of this file has been modified and the check sums removed.
i would remove msio64.sys, turn off windows virtual memory, reboot and turn it back on.
(to delete pagefile.sys and make a new one)
then run cmd.exe as an admin then run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
to repair the modified windows files.

--------------------
just looking at the most recent bugcheck.
stack corrupted, looked like something tried to insert a page table entry in a free list that
called a page fault the memory manager then tried to delete the page table entry and that resulted in a bugcheck. (looks like something that malware might do)

calls started from
win32kfull.sys
: kd> lmDvmwin32kfull
Browse full module list
start end module name
fffff68735800000 fffff68735bb6000 win32kfull T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: win32kfull.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\win32kfull.sys
Image name: win32kfull.sys
Browse all global symbols functions data
Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
CheckSum: 00000000
ImageSize: 003B6000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Information from resource tables:

5: kd> lmDvmMsIo64
Browse full module list
start end module name
fffff8043e510000 fffff8043e517000 MsIo64 (deferred)
Image path: \??\C:\Windows\system32\drivers\MsIo64.sys
Image name: MsIo64.sys
Timestamp: Sun Jan 19 19:35:15 2020 (5E251FF3)
CheckSum: 00010BAA

The process known as MICSYS IO driver or MSIO or MICSYS driver belongs to software MICSYS Technology Co. or GALAX GAMER RGB or Patriot Viper RGB by MICSYS Technology Co., LTd or MICSYS Technology Co..
--------

Last edited:
Run memtest86 or memtest86+ to eliminate ram as an issue.
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
note: early bugcheck (oldest one) had intact versions of the windows core files.
but tool HeavyLoad.exe
it was running and making unexpected calls into the virtual paging system.
I would assume it has malware in it.

-------------------
someone released instructions on how to hack systems that have this driver installed:
you have the driver installed, also the calls looked like they involved
win32kfull.sys but not from a known function. your copy of this file has been modified and the check sums removed.
i would remove msio64.sys, turn off windows virtual memory, reboot and turn it back on.
(to delete pagefile.sys and make a new one)
then run cmd.exe as an admin then run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
to repair the modified windows files.

--------------------
just looking at the most recent bugcheck.
stack corrupted, looked like something tried to insert a page table entry in a free list that
called a page fault the memory manager then tried to delete the page table entry and that resulted in a bugcheck. (looks like something that malware might do)

calls started from
win32kfull.sys
: kd> lmDvmwin32kfull
Browse full module list
start end module name
fffff68735800000 fffff68735bb6000 win32kfull T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: win32kfull.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\win32kfull.sys
Image name: win32kfull.sys
Timestamp: unavailable (00000000)
CheckSum: 00000000
ImageSize: 003B6000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Information from resource tables:

5: kd> lmDvmMsIo64
Browse full module list
start end module name
fffff8043e510000 fffff8043e517000 MsIo64 (deferred)
Image path: \??\C:\Windows\system32\drivers\MsIo64.sys
Image name: MsIo64.sys
Timestamp: Sun Jan 19 19:35:15 2020 (5E251FF3)
CheckSum: 00010BAA

The process known as MICSYS IO driver or MSIO or MICSYS driver belongs to software MICSYS Technology Co. or GALAX GAMER RGB or Patriot Viper RGB by MICSYS Technology Co., LTd or MICSYS Technology Co..
--------
Thanks a lot for the detailed instructions. Although I have to say I dont feel confident enough to be able to figure it all out and not screw it up further haha. If you think reinstalling windows should fix it, I'll probably just do that. Thoughts?

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
Run memtest86 or memtest86+ to eliminate ram as an issue.
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Thanks, I'll give memtest a try. Need it regardless of whether I install a fresh copy of windows or not.

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
Hello! Update- I got a new set of RAM 32GB x2 Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz and swapped out the 4x 16GB sticks I had running. I noticed that the computer didn't crash for the tasks that the computer was crashing for previously (In adobe after effects). But today I had the first BSOD crash with the new RAM

BSOD view says-
053022-9765-01.dmp 30-05-2022 18:36:08 SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0x0000003b 00000000c000001d fffff8061f88cc69 fffff00c66566b30 0000000000000000 ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+3f70d0 NT Kernel & System Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 10.0.19041.1415 (WinBuild.160101.0800) x64 ntoskrnl.exe+3f70d0 C:\Windows\Minidump\053022-9765-01.dmp 20 15 19041 4,118,396 30-05-2022 18:36:47

Minidump latest- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zqHK5YfEEolJYajr5UiaxLgQs9GOYZlL/view?usp=sharing

I still haven't been able to reinstall windows because Im halfway through some work. Would be awesome if you can take a look at it and see if there's anything obvious that could be a cause, that I can fix.

Thanks a lot!