Frequent (but different) crashes on or after startup on built PC

VladiPHD

Honorable
Mar 13, 2014
Hey guys,

I had a computer built a couple years ago and I've been experiencing crashes for a while that all follow the same pattern:

When the power button is pressed, the computer starts and after a few seconds shuts down completely. The second time I press the power button it boots up normally. At this stage (or shortly after logging into windows) it will BSOD with a random error and restart. Once it restarts, it never crashes again and works without a problem until it's shut down. Then the next time I boot it up, it repeats again. I started writing down the errors it would give me during the BSOD, it would almost always be a different error, heres the list so far:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_ERROR (x2)

BAD_POOL_HEADER

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA (cdd.dll)

I'm not sure where to begin to fix this. I have swapped out my hard drive completely with a new one and after a month or so the crashes began again. It's gotta be a hardware error or issue somewhere. Memory? Drivers? Power supply?

Any help in how to begin fixing this would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Solution
Sounds like bad memory or maybe bad drivers. Clean install your drivers (especially graphics) and if it continues then test your memory by using one stick at a time.