Frequent Computer Freezing

jayric18

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2016
For the past several weeks I have been noticing my computer freezing on occasion. At first, it was infrequent, only happening once a week, if that, but the last couple of days it has been freezing almost every other time it is booted up. When I say "freezing" I mean that the entire computer, both monitors in use, completely stop moving. The computer is still on, but nothing moves, no sound plays through my headset, the cursor will not budge, anything on the device itself will not respond to anything I try to do to it. The only thing that I can do is hit the little button below the power button on my case that restarts the system.I have recently started keeping the task manager on my second monitor, open, so I can see if anything spikes when I am losing control of my system, but nothing is out of the ordinary. I understand that there are numerous causes for this problem, and that it is a common issue, but I have been doing research for this past week and nothing has solved the issue. I have installed AVAST antivirus and run many scans, the same with Malwarebytes, and nothing has come up. I am a PC Gamer and this has been getting worse and has been inconveniencing me for quite a while now and I am worried and am desperately seeking an effective solution! My specs are below, I run on an Ethernet connection.

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Motherboard: Biostar TA970
Hard Drives PNY CS1311 240GB SSD ATA, and STA3320620AS.
SSD has windows 10 on it and has 47.1GB free out of 223GB
Hard Drive has 223 GB free on it out of 297 GB

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
first you need to make sure all your drivers from your motherboards site are updated properly starting with your chipset. and may need a BIOS update. then we can check your hardware.

RAM or PSU/motherboard usually freezes w/ occasional forced auto shutdowns/restarts.
if its just a freezes, could be a dying hard drive.

you can test your RAM. run memtest/windows memory diagnostic. use a stick of RAM at a time until it crashes then replace w/ the other.
you can check the health of your HDD/SSD. run "chkdsk /scan c:" just to scan w/o fixing. rerun with "chkdsk /spotfix /x c:" or "chkdsk /r /x c:" if errors were found. WARNING. this may corrupt\damage files that were on the bad sectors. so best you back up your data before u attempt the fix.

as for your PSU/motherboard. thats really hard to test on your own w/o the proper electrical tools. best bring it to a PC shop or take a guess. you can either make sure its not on any of the above. you can check with HWinfo and check your 12V and 5V are stable (meaning it doesnt oscillate anymore than +/-0.3~0.5V).

jayric18

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2016
I've tested my memory using the windows memory diagnostic tool twice, no issues came up.
Every time I try to run chkdsk a window tries to pop up and then instantly disappears without a trace and without sending any sort of message out to me. I have used Driver Booster 5.2 to detect which drivers needed upgrades and that was a week ago when I updated all of my outdated drivers. Currently nothing needs an update. The SSD, Motherboard, and processor are all new, purchased new within the last year or so.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
you have to open command prompt first. press winkey+s, type "cmd". press ctrl+shift+enter. then type the "chkdsk" commands

you can also just download CrystalDiskInfo to check SMART health of your drives. i am assuming your SATA mode in BIOS is in AHCI.