[SOLVED] Frequent connection drops

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Hey guys,

The last few days I've been having frequent connection drops on my desktop PC (wired connection). All other devices wired or otherwise appear to be fine. The drops come at a pretty random interval. Anywhere from 5 minutes apart to hours apart. They seem to happen no matter what I'm doing. The drops are very brief but consistently drop me out of any game I'm playing, but oftentimes video streaming is uninterrupted as well as things like Microsoft Teams meetings and Discord calls.

I had some other issues very recently which turned out to be an issue with my PSU, but my Mobo was in question too at the time. I figured that maybe something got messed up with the network portion of my Mobo during that whole fiasco so I bought a network card. Unfortunately, that new network card isn't solving the issue. I've also tried an ethernet to USB adapter that I had laying around from using with my Wii U years ago, but that gave the same result. I've tried different ports on the router and different cables as well. It's starting to feel like it's not a hardware issue, but I'm really unsure where to go from here.

Internet Specs:
Router: ASUS AC2900
Modem: ARRIS SURFboard SB6141
Comcast cable - 200Mbps

PC Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Performance Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
GPU: 980ti
PSU: EVGA 700 GD 100-GD-0700-V1 700W ATX12V
RAM: 2x Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) SR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT8G4DFS8213

Any help is highly appreciated! This is a very frequent and very disruptive issue.

Solution
Look in the Router's logs (if available and enabled) for reported errors.

Look in the PC's Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the disconnects. Reliability History is more user friendly so start there.

Power down the PC, unplug, and open the case.

Clean out dust and debris. Reseat all cable plugs, cards, RAM, and jumpers. Ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in the Router's logs (if available and enabled) for reported errors.

Look in the PC's Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the disconnects. Reliability History is more user friendly so start there.

Power down the PC, unplug, and open the case.

Clean out dust and debris. Reseat all cable plugs, cards, RAM, and jumpers. Ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Solution

Alechilles

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Thanks Ralston!

In the Reliability History I am finding that "Avast Update Helper" is failing to "reconfigure" many times a day. I wonder if that could have something to do with it...

wM4NQpC.png

Edit: It appears that this was indeed the issue. I've not run into the issue since uninstalling Avast.

Last edited: