Frequent crashes, BSODs, and other signs of HD failure but no S.M.A.R.T. errors?

twistedtoaster

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2013
About a month ago after recently moving, I noticed that my desktop frequently crashed a few minutes after boot-up, where everything would freeze and I would have to hold the power button and force it off. I thought maybe some pins had come loose during the move so I checked and although I didn't think I found anything, pushing on everything seemed to make the problem go away so I thought that fixed that.

However, over the past couple weeks I noticed that some times it takes longer to boot up, and will load a black screen with blinking cursor (top left corner) for 10-30 seconds before loading as normal. After not using my desktop for a few days, I came back to it today where it would repeatedly BSOD minutes after boot up, even when in cmd only safe mode.

I got a number of BSOD errors such as:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_ERROR

Remembering the black screen with blinking cursor, I thought maybe my boot drive was/is failing, but doing the chkdsk commands, and also checking with crystaldiskinfo turns up no S.M.A.R.T. errors. The BIOS always shows up (except when I get the black screen, in which case it does after), so I don't think it's the motherboard, though I'm not sure. The first pass of memtest also didn't show any errors (I stopped it as it was then I thought about checking the hard drives), so I don't think it's the memory either. I've checked temperatures and nothing seems to be overheating from what I can tell (HDDs, GPU, CPU).

Is it a driver issue possibly? From what I've read both of the BSOD errors I've gotten can be due to driver errors, though I'm a bit unsure as to how to go about checking... It is strange as I had had no issues immediately before I moved. At this point, the computer has gone back to doing what it was doing when I first noticed issues: freezing after a couple minutes from boot up and needing to be forced off.

System Specs:
64-bit Windows 10
i5-3570K @ 3.40 GHz (not OC'd)
8 Gb DDR3 (2x 4 Gb sticks) RAM (not OC'd)
AMD HD 7970 GHz edition (not OC'd)
Samsung 128 Gb 840 Pro (Boot disk)
2x WD Black HDDs
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Corsair HX650

I also have an external back-up USB drive hooked up at the moment.

Let me know if there is anything else I should provide too (though it's a bit difficult to grab from the desktop (currently using laptop) since it crashes quickly).

Solution
If it ran overnight, then you don't have any memory problems. RAM problems can cause symptoms similar to a disk problem. The data has to go from disk to RAM and if the RAM is dropping bits, then it can seem like a disk problem.

So the change to your system was moving? A physical bump. Check all the cables, re-seat all your cards.

twistedtoaster

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2013

I let Memtest run over night (~10 hours) and will let it keep running for awhile, but after 4 passes there are no errors that have come up.

kanewolf

Titan
If it ran overnight, then you don't have any memory problems. RAM problems can cause symptoms similar to a disk problem. The data has to go from disk to RAM and if the RAM is dropping bits, then it can seem like a disk problem.

So the change to your system was moving? A physical bump. Check all the cables, re-seat all your cards.

Solution

twistedtoaster

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2013

Finally got around to opening up the computer yesterday, and I re-connected everything. It seemed to be working last night, and everything (RAM, CPU, GPU, fans, etc.) was on and running. I left it on to back-up to my portable hard drive today and when I got back it was still on, so it seems this has fixed the problem, at least for now. Thanks for the help!