[SOLVED] Frequent Crashes: CPU or Motherboard Faulty?

Sep 11, 2021
System
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.59 GHz
System Model B550M DS3H
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F3, 8/20/2020
Geil Orion 3600 mhz 8gbx2
Samsung Evo 980 500gb m.2 ssd
Gigabyte GTX 1660 super 6gb
NZXT C750 80+ Gold PSU
NZXT X53 Kraken Liquid Cooler
Sea Gate 1TB HHD

Problem:
https://imgur.com/gallery/DGIoMtK
Hi, so I've been experiencing frequent crashes that leads to:
"Reboot and Select A Proper Boot Device"
and
BSOD - WHEA_uncorrectable_error
Every. Single. Time. I am super frustrated and I am not sure what the cause is.
My BIOS does not detect my OS boot drive, which is in my ssd, after crash. My PC will detect ssd after reboot everytime. Which will crash again randomly using Chrome or playing light games such as Gwent.

Attempted fixes:
I looked at Event Viewer to see what's causing the crash and I see Kernal Power Event ID 61 as Critical every time. Thus, I....
Swapped out the PSU to Gambdias Kratos P1 750W -> Didn't helped
Updated drivers using Driver Booster -> Didn't help
Ran Memtest on both my memory -> seems fine.
Ran Cinebench -> Seems fine
Ran MSI Kombustor -> Seems fine
Reapplied fresh Thermal Paste Noctua NT-H1 -> Didn't helped
To be honest, I don't even know what's causing the crash. I am not sure what else to do.
Could someone assist. Please.

Thank you

K

Last edited:
Solution
Hey Koekiezz, just a update. Turns out it was a failing SSD.
I swapped it with a new SSD and the BSOD practically vanished over night.
In addition, although I am experiencing some slight mouse stutters and PC freezing using Chrome (during and after), I am not crashing to BSOD.
Try these:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours) like this:
unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios).
  • boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot. connect to internet after reboot.
  • Install the latest nvidia driver.
  • And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any.
*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and manual tune the timing if you want), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

Why are you keep deleting and reposing your post? ive seen 4 post the same and did give you a solution. Please read the replies.

Reactions: Khun_D
Sep 11, 2021
Hi Koekieezz, sry I am new to this forum and I was taking ur post as a quote and accidentally deleted my original post.

On the otherhand, following your suggestions, I've used DDU to uninstall all nividia drivers and uninstalled all processers. I am now on the step:
"Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios"

I've extracted the bios to a USB and I've inserted into my PC but I don't understand what "flash" means.
In my boot option priorities, my PC detects a USB drive but it doesn't update to anything on it's own.

Thank you kindly for your help
K

Sep 11, 2021
BSOD again with CSM disabled. Download was around 58% completion rate. This is a pattern I've noticed over the week.
It almost always BSOD when I am downloading something. Whether it be steam games or software.

Something changed. There's nothing in my boot options aside from my USB and it's starting to lag switching from one tab to another in the bios.

View: https://imgur.com/a/5fMOWRc
so your windows might have some faulty, you could try reinstall windows with csm disabled later. For now turn that on again, and load all settings to optimized/default, and see if csm is still enabled. You might want to download it otherwhere else and install the driver in the windows once it boots up. Also could youu give a screenshot of the bios first page, just checking if you're at the update bios and unplug the flashdrive, it's ok to do now :D

You reckon I continue to reinstall fresh windows?
well use it normally, and if it doesnt BSOD again, then you're good to go. You already did install amd chipsett driver before getting online and download nvidia drivers right?

Also go to windows update and see if there is any update and optional updates (install it)
Also after the update, enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling in Graphics Settings like this:
unknown.png

And reboot.

Sep 11, 2021
Yes and Yes.
Currently rebooting after installing optional updates found in windows update.
Also enabled latency in Graphics Setting. Hope this solved my issue for good.
Will keep you updated.

Reactions: Koekieezz
Sep 11, 2021
Hmm.... Initially my PC was showing promising performance and stability.... until it crashed again.

View: https://imgur.com/a/zHMwhlr

First crash wasn't BSOD.
However, It froze when I was playing a heavier game Total War and crashed to a black screen "reboot and select proper boot device" without SSD detected on auto reboot.

Second was BSOD. I was downloading another optional update in WIndows Update. Crashed to a black "reboot and select......" still with no ssd detected.

Checking Event Viewer still cites Kernel-Power Event ID 41 as Critical for as long as I can remember.

Should I install a fresh Windows?

Hmm.... Initially my PC was showing promising performance and stability.... until it crashed again.

View: https://imgur.com/a/zHMwhlr

First crash wasn't BSOD.
However, It froze when I was playing a heavier game Total War and crashed to a black screen "reboot and select proper boot device" without SSD detected on auto reboot.

Second was BSOD. I was downloading another optional update in WIndows Update. Crashed to a black "reboot and select......" still with no ssd detected.

Checking Event Viewer still cites Kernel-Power Event ID 41 as Critical for as long as I can remember.

Should I install a fresh Windows?
You could try reinstall windows with csm off, and install amd chipset driver before nvidia driver ( do not connect to internet yet after reinstall), also the very last effort is to use another psu, and motherboard.

Sep 11, 2021
I'll try reinstalling a fresh window and drivers.
As for the PSU, I suspected the PSU was causing the issues so swapped it from NZXT C750 80+ Gold PSU to a Gambdias Kratos P1 750W.
However, it seems like this wasn't this case so now I highly suspect it's the motherboard.
Many thanks for your guidance Koekiezz.
Will update you soon.

Last edited:
I'll try reinstalling a fresh window and drivers.
As for the PSU, I suspected the PSU was causing the issues so swapped it from NZXT C750 80+ Gold PSU to a Gambdias Kratos P1 750W.
However, it seems like this wasn't this case so now I highly suspect it's the motherboard.
Many thanks for your guidance Koekiezz.
Will update you soon.
Yup, you should try all the components in another good psu and motherboard, if it runs fluently, try the motherboard in that good psu, if it failed, then a motherboard issue could be it.

Sep 11, 2021
In addition, although I am experiencing some slight mouse stutters and PC freezing using Chrome (during and after), I am not crashing to BSOD.

Solution
Yup, i tought that the system was failing either because of the windows or the ssd. Hope you're happy with your system!