Frequent crashes every day for the past 2 months, ‘display driver failed to start’,

Apr 9, 2018
Okay so over the past 2 months my computer has been crashing frequently every day. After the crash I get a display driver failed to start issue. However, over the past couple days I’ve got a ‘please power down and connect the PCIe power cables for this graphics card’ message. Now I have seen around some threads that some people have resolved their crashing issues by getting new power supplies or PCIe cables. Others have done other solutions that worked.

System specs are:

Gtx 1070
Ryzen 7 1700x
Asus rog crosshair VI motherboard
16gb 3200mhz RAM
550w Corsair powersupply

I have already tried resetting windows completely, re assembling my computer and cleaning it, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. Using old drivers, under powering my graphics card. However none of these have worked.

My PC runs at very good temperatures so I do not believe that is the issue.

Hopefully someone out there knows a solution to this ever present issue! Or can suggest replacing PCIe cables and power supply too. I am yet to try this but just wanted some opinions from others before I waste my money on hardware when it is not the issue!

Appreciate any suggestions!!

P.S the error about needing to connect ct PCIe cables goes away once I reconnect them, maybe they are faulty ?

Thanks

Solution

Seems like it's a semi-modular PSU, which is good. First, try to unplug the PCI-E cable(-s) from the PSU and the GPU, and then plug it back. Don't forget to turn off the PC before doing this (you can even hit the switch on the back of your psu and wait a minute). Well, just for case you can also reset your bios to default - use the button Reset at the bottom of your motherboard (if it's Hero) or at the top right of your motherboard (if it's Extreme). Of course, again your pc should be turned off.
If these actions will not help, then try to buy new cables or ask your friends for using their cables temporarily. Also, keep in mind that it could be a problem in soldering on your gpu, but...

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
"the error about needing to connect ct PCIe cables goes away once I reconnect them, maybe they are faulty ?"
They might be a problem. Do you have a multimeter? I'm not sure how is that diode beeping mode in English. You could try to check for uninterrupted beeping on each wire while you are curving it.

Apr 9, 2018
Unfortunately I do not have access to a multimeter. Is it possible to replace PCIe cables without the need to purchase a new PSU ? And do you think using a new power supply could also fix the crashing issues ? Or just the error about needing to reconnect the cables to turn the computer on, which isn’t really too big of a deal as it has only happened today and yesterday

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
"Is it possible to replace PCIe cables without the need to purchase a new PSU ?"
It depends on your psu. If it's modular, then yes. What's the model of your psu?
"And do you think using a new power supply could also fix the crashing issues ?"
I cannot be sure, because it might be a problem in soldering on your gpu near the connectors.

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018

Seems like it's a semi-modular PSU, which is good. First, try to unplug the PCI-E cable(-s) from the PSU and the GPU, and then plug it back. Don't forget to turn off the PC before doing this (you can even hit the switch on the back of your psu and wait a minute). Well, just for case you can also reset your bios to default - use the button Reset at the bottom of your motherboard (if it's Hero) or at the top right of your motherboard (if it's Extreme). Of course, again your pc should be turned off.
If these actions will not help, then try to buy new cables or ask your friends for using their cables temporarily. Also, keep in mind that it could be a problem in soldering on your gpu, but let's leave this assuming for now.

Solution