Frequent Crashes

nonameworks

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I built a computer a while back and it was running nicely for a while, then I started getting frequent BSODs. I took out one of the memory DIMMs and the problem went away, I noticed a considerable performance drop with the loss of the memory so I went out and got some more. Now a couple of months later with the new memory I am experiencing frequent BSODs again. I don't know if my signature shows my hardware so here it is:
Intel E8400 (from before there was an E8500)
ASUS P5Q Pro
Corsair HX620W
Corsair Fatal1ty PC2 8500 (2 or 4 GB)
2 x Seagate 7200.11 (not RAID)
LG DVD Rom
ATI HD4850

Don't bother making comments about the video, I intended to upgrade when a worthwhile game came out.

As for the problem I can only tell you possibilities I have eliminated. It will blue screen in safe mode and while installing a new OS, so it is definately a hardware issue. It only started when I moved my computer and plugged it into my Prima plasma tv via HDMI. But the problem persists now that I have moved it back to my LCD TV.

I have checked to make sure all the connections are secure. I did not open the case when I moved it into the new room. I have tested each DIMM of memory. Finally I have spares for every component in my computer, but I don't want to swap them in case they get ruined as well. Any ideas on what it is or what I might do to safely diagnose the problem further?

Have you checked the timings, frequency, and voltage of the RAM in the BIOS to ensure the settings are accurate?

Intel LGA 775 boards do not benefit from faster RAM frequencies. At least for troubleshooting you should run your RAM 1:1 with the FSB. In this case the FSB is 333mhz at stock speed so the RAM should be 667mhz (Double Data Rate = DDR).

I would expect your RAM to operate at 1.8V, 5-5-5-18 flawlessly at 667mhz, so just testing at those settings would reveal a lot and give you a starting place.

nonameworks

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
My ram was running at 5-5-5-15 (which is what it was rated for) and 1.8V. The BIOS warns not to go below 800 MHz though as this is a spec violation. So I set the FSB to 400 and the CPU to 9x. I attempted to run it at 1.8V but it was still no good, so then I tried 2.2V which is what the ram is rated for. That worked, I wish I had thought of that before erasing my OS. Oh well, that's why I have 2 hard drives. Thanks for your assistance.

nonameworks

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Yes I realize what happened now. I hit the power button a couple of times by accident and my BIOS assumed a bad overclock was to blame and reset it. Unfortunately the automatic voltage for the memory resulted in the unstable performance. I am not certain how I can label this thread as solved.