[SOLVED] Frequent disconnects, "this wifi network uses older security standard..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

scopus

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
hey i have this issue where on my home wifi i get very frequent disconnects on wifi. even if it is set to automatic connect, it frequently looses connectiion and i have to manually click disconnect and reconnect the wifi till im able to get it to say connected. not a range issue as signal strength is full and im next to router. If computer is hooked up with ethernet cable no disconnects, just wifi. thought myb my laptop but no tried an external wifi adapter same issue. Also have this icon and message next to my wifi "this wifi network uses an older security standard that is being phased out. We recommend connecting to a different network." I read online that this can cause frequent disconnects, and the solution is to change from wep to wpa2 but after checking my windows and router settings it looks like its already on wpa2. tried changing network channel, updating all drivers...didnt help, cant figure out how to fix or why getting the older security standard message.
Any ideas?

windows 10 wifi properties:
protocol: 802.11g
security type: WPA2-personal
network band: 2,4ghz
network channel: 6
link speed: 54/130 (mbps)

Solution
We're going to need a little more information. Make and model of your wireless router(access point)? Make and model of your laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with? Have you tried uninstalling your laptop's wireless adapter drivers and reinstalling in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need a little more information. Make and model of your wireless router(access point)? Make and model of your laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with? Have you tried uninstalling your laptop's wireless adapter drivers and reinstalling in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Solution

scopus

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
just tried now unistalling wifi driver and installed via ethernet, scan for changes and might have fixed it :)
not getting that older security standard, and now says Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) rather than 802.11g like it was before

hopefully will not get disconnects issue, will update, if still problematic
thanks!

Nov 19, 2021
just tried now unistalling wifi driver and installed via ethernet, scan for changes and might have fixed it :)
not getting that older security standard, and now says Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) rather than 802.11g like it was before

hopefully will not get disconnects issue, will update, if still problematic
thanks!
plz can u tell me how to do it with details? i'm really suffering cuz it always disconnect and if it's connected it's really slow.. i have this message since i formatted my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.