[SOLVED] Frequent DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION with my newly build Windows 10 PC

Oct 9, 2020
My PC configuration:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5(4.7)GHz 64MB sAM4 Box (100-100000051WOF)
MotherBoard: Asus Prime x570 Pro
GraphicsCard: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 8 GB SUPER GAMING X
RAM: HyperX DDR4 64GB (2x32GB) 3600Mhz Predator (HX436C18PB3K2/64)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus V-NAND MLC 2TB M.2 (2280 PCI-E) NVMe 1.3 (MZ-V7S2T0BW)
PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 1000W (BN285)

After a fresh install of Windows 10 on Samsung 970 EVO SSD, frequently I receive DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. Then PC is restarted and bios opened with no SSD available there, so no OS is found.
Then I need to plug off electricity or press "0" button on the back panel of the PC to then restart it with SSD visible and running fine again.

I do updated BIOS already, updated all the drivers, but the error still appears.
image.png

I do not know how to catch CrashDump by Windows as it's not appearing neither in C:\Windows\Minidumps nor C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP, I suspect it because SSD is not available on that stage.
Also In Windows System Event Viewer, I see Error Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
In Samsung Magician everything looks fine, all the tests passed with no errors, drivers up to date. The only thing is Temperature is 52+ almost all the time.

Can this be a hardware issue with SSD or maybe other assumptions?

Last edited:
Solution
Also In Windows System Event Viewer, I see Error Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
Assuming that the dump file settings have been set up correctly (windows usually defaults to an automatic MEMORY.DMP. Then 2 common causes of dump files not being created is a problem with memory or storage - during the crash a memory comparison is performed, and if this doesn't match, the dump file won't generate.

Then PC is restarted and bios opened with no SSD available there, so no OS is found.
The above along with this is what would lead me to suspect your SSD as the issue at first (or at least related to the SSD). Tests are never 100%, and I've had countless drives pass every test and then...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Assuming that the dump file settings have been set up correctly (windows usually defaults to an automatic MEMORY.DMP. Then 2 common causes of dump files not being created is a problem with memory or storage - during the crash a memory comparison is performed, and if this doesn't match, the dump file won't generate.

Then PC is restarted and bios opened with no SSD available there, so no OS is found.
The above along with this is what would lead me to suspect your SSD as the issue at first (or at least related to the SSD). Tests are never 100%, and I've had countless drives pass every test and then still fail. In fact I have another one in front of me right now!

You could always run memtest (guide attached) to verify the integrity of your RAM modules but I would sooner point towards the SSD due to the reboot and OS issue you originally had.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Before digging too far into this I would double check the seating of your SSD, RAM modules, all your cables, etc. just to make sure everything is tight. I would likely reset CMOS or reset to default values while in BIOS. While you are in BIOS check to see everything is showing up there.

IF the issue persists I would utilize any other known working drive available to install Win 10 on to check stability. Honestly would probably do this without the internet cable attached and tell it you have no internet such that it won't mess with validation and such. If the system is stable this way then it points back to the SSD.