Frequent Game Crashes.

tush2912

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I previously had black screen(http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3442277/freezes-games.html) and game freeze issues with my Asus RX 570 Strix OC 4GB, so applied for RMA and got Asus RX 570 Strix NON-OC 4GB as a replacement after a month.
But, since I got this Graphic Card, all my games are crashing(D3D error).
I've tried:
1. DDU to reinstall the drivers thrice.
2. Tried 3 different driver driver version(currently on 17.10.1 driver).
3. Tried resetting the BIOS.
4. Tried Benchmark tools:
-Heaven's Benchmark
-3DMark
It never crashed during the benchmark.

I've diagnosed that:
1. crash is not related to any temperature change, or any specific game.(highest during gaming is 68C)
2. I've tried OC as well as UC.
3. Sometimes it doesn't crash for hours, and when it does, I'm not even able to open the radeon settings.
4. After the crash, it isn't resolved even after numerous restarts.
5. And the error will randomly stop occurring on its on wish.
6. No FPS drop in gaming.

During FIFA18:
25ip3yx.jpg

During Tekken 7:
r1xuyx.jpg

During Middle Earth: Shadow of War:
28kuk92.jpg

Raedon settings after crash:
jsbr6u.jpg

My afterburner settings:

without OC:
2vcjgih.jpg

with OC:
2hxcawg.jpg

GPU-Z:
b3ooea.jpg

PC Config:
Motherboard: Asus Z97-K
Processor: i5-4690K(oc @4.4Ghz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3
GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix NON-OC 4GB
PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
HDD: WD 2TB(WD20EZRX)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB(only windows 10 os installed)

This is the first time I've bought an AMD product, and I'm not liking it at all.
Kindly Help. What should I do?
Thanks in Advance.

tush2912

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

Thank You for your reply.

1. Which Bios?
....Motherboard's Bios is on latest update.
....GPU's bios..never updated..don't know how to.
2. Will do that, but the thing is most of friends play on Laptops.

Will try RMA again.

Well, this is a strange one. Have you tried to resit it? Sometimes, the card may get loose. The stranger part is that it doesn't fail using any benchmark. Have you tried to do a clean install? I know it sucks, but that's one of the main things to do when testing out a GPU. In your other thread, I mention to see if you could test it out using another GPU. Also does the game loads, or is it an instant crash?

tush2912

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

Thank you for your reply.

Previously I was having black screen freezes(started during games then became random), So I requested for RMA:
1. Motherboard RMA, they sent back the same piece after testing it.
2. PSU RMA, got a new piece but even the previous one I think was fine.
3. GPU RMA, got a NON-OC GPU in replacement of my ASUS RX 570 OC, for which they took 45 days.

1.resit?...reset I think, but how to reset the card. Removing and installing it again?
2.Yes, it doesn't fail any benchmark
3. I haven't tried clean fresh OS, because I had the same GPU before RMA, I tried DDU and even amd cleanup utility before installing the replacement GPU.
4.Games don't crash at startup, sometimes they work for hours or days without a crash. But when they crash I get frequent errors/crashes during gaming. After every crash "AMD radeon settings app" become not responding.
5. I'll try a fresh OS install today, and try again with only drivers installed.
6. Yesterday, I was playing middle Earth Shadow of War. During which I was getting random black screen, mostly during game loading/render. And the game was crashing every 10mins or so(I was recording using Radeon Relive for Youtube). Also I was getting frequent "Global Wattman settings reset" in the last 2 crashes while I was playing this game.

Also I left my PC running overnight yesterday, while it was downloading game updates in steam. In morning when I checked, the PC was stuck on blue screen with either of these 2 errors:
1. 0x1000007E This BSOD means that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. BSOD error code 0x1000007E may also show "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M" on the same blue screen.
2. 0x0000007E This BSOD means that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch. BSOD error code 0x0000007E may also show "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" on the same blue screen.

Also I think that the GPU is maybe not getting enough power, and crashing due to power loss, maybe the Motherboard's PCIE is defective(according to RMA its perfect) or the PSU's output is not enough.

tush2912

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

Ok sorry, will do?
Also I did clean OS install today, and only installed the required drivers. When I tried opening the "radeon settings app", it crashed(not responding). So back to square one.

Are you letting windows install the drivers, or are you downloading them from AMD? I was working with a client last night, and the download page was not working. So ended up using the auto-detect .exe file. All the fans are spinning, correct?

tush2912

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

Sorry for late reply.
Yes, I downloaded the drivers directly from AMD, and the all fans are working perfectly.