[SOLVED] Frequent hard resets while gaming-- no extremely high temps after logging temp information, faulty PSU?

ItsDougOfficial

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
PC Specs:
HP Pavilion TG01-0023w
CPU: Ryzen 5 3500
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 1650 SUPER
RAM: 16gb DDR4-2666 CL19
Storage: 1x NVMe 240gb, 1x SATA SSD 240gb, 1x SATA 960gb
PSU: 400 watt platinum efficiency rating (That's all HP would tell me, I couldn't find a specific product number)

I got a refurb about a month and a half ago and I have been consistently experiencing shutoffs while gaming, some games (like PoE, ArmA, EVE) more than others (LoL, Escape From Tarkov(somehow?), OSU, Terraria). I originally thought it was a temperature problem since the CPU cooler that came with it was built to cool a raspberry Pi and not an actual computer. But still, after a CPU cooler change as well as constant 100% GPU fan speed from MSI Afterburner, I was still experiencing shutoffs. I closely monitored Event Viewer and saw that each of my shutoffs were labeled as "Kernel Power Error 41". After some research I found out that this could mean anything since Error Code 41 is not very specific, meaning that my CPU/GPU could be overheating still, my ram could be clocked too high, or my PSU can't provide enough power to the rest of the computer. I recently installed Argus Monitor to log my temperatures just to make sure that it wasn't an overheating issue causing my PC to shutdown while gaming. After a couple of shutdowns, I reviewed the logs and found out that my CPU and GPU were sitting around 70-75c, nowhere near the 95c shutoff point of most hardware. This leaves my PSU and (and possibly ram) as the shutoff culprit. Is this enough data to assume that my PSU does not have the correct voltage to power my system? I don't want to spend money on a new psu, mobo and case (I would need the last two because anything HP touches is turns proprietary) without knowing for sure what is causing my computer to shutdown under load.

Solution
PC Specs:
HP Pavilion TG01-0023w
PSU: 400 watt platinum efficiency rating (That's all HP would tell me, I couldn't find a specific product number)

I got a refurb about a month and a half ago and I have been consistently experiencing shutoffs while gaming, some games (like PoE, ArmA, EVE) more than others (LoL, Escape From Tarkov(somehow?), OSU, Terraria). I originally thought it was a temperature problem since the CPU cooler that came with it was built to cool a raspberry Pi and not an actual computer. But still, after a CPU cooler change as well as constant 100% GPU fan speed from MSI Afterburner, I...
PC Specs:
HP Pavilion TG01-0023w

I got a refurb about a month and a half ago and I have been consistently experiencing shutoffs while gaming, some games (like PoE, ArmA, EVE) more than others (LoL, Escape From Tarkov(somehow?), OSU, Terraria). I originally thought it was a temperature problem since the CPU cooler that came with it was built to cool a raspberry Pi and not an actual computer. But still, after a CPU cooler change as well as constant 100% GPU fan speed from MSI Afterburner, I was still experiencing shutoffs. I closely monitored Event Viewer and saw that each of my shutoffs were labeled as "Kernel Power Error 41". After some research I found out that this could mean anything since Error Code 41 is not very specific, meaning that my CPU/GPU could be overheating still, my ram could be clocked too high, or my PSU can't provide enough power to the rest of the computer. I recently installed Argus Monitor to log my temperatures just to make sure that it wasn't an overheating issue causing my PC to shutdown while gaming. After a couple of shutdowns, I reviewed the logs and found out that my CPU and GPU were sitting around 70-75c, nowhere near the 95c shutoff point of most hardware. This leaves my PSU and (and possibly ram) as the shutoff culprit. Is this enough data to assume that my PSU does not have the correct voltage to power my system? I don't want to spend money on a new psu, mobo and case (I would need the last two because anything HP touches is turns proprietary) without knowing for sure what is causing my computer to shutdown under load.
The PSU that comes with the HP should be able to satisfy your relatively low power system requirements, if it's working properly. I took a snapshot of the HP Pavilion TG01-0023w PSU label from a youtube video in case anyone has some thoughts on it that may help. I'm unsure what the problem is. Usually shutdowns are related to temperature or PSU. The label states max power, but not continuous power, which would be more relavent here I think.

Last edited:
Solution