Frequent Hdd failure resulting in "boot manager missing" error

Tobias Reaper

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Here's the situation, 4 months ago I got a "boot manager is missing" while trying to boot up my pc. I exhausted all my venues trying to get the Ssd to work, at the same time another old hdd died. The ssd was less than a year old, I installed windows on another Ssd the same age, and that seemed to fix the problem. Now I just had the same issue with the ssd I installed on, I chocked it up as bad Ssd's having only lasted a year a piece and both from the same manufacturer. I installed windows on a Wd black thinking it should be reliable, problem is I'm already getting the "boot manager missing" error, however with the hdd if I shut off the computer ,and replug in the sata conecting the hdd it works again, but it's not long before it happens again.

Could this be a bad Sata controler? or perhaps a psu issue that caused my ssd's to die prematurely and get intermittent use from my hdd? could a bad sata controller corrupt the data on an sdd? or should I look at other options? Thanks, sorry for the bad punctuation.

Tobias Reaper

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
I have a GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 2.0) AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX.
AMD X-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz,
16gigs of ram,
Amd R9 280 3 gb gpu
Windows 10 64bit home
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Psu
2 mushkin 240 gb ssd
Wd black 1tb Hdd

Tobias Reaper

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Yeah, should have know better cutting corners on the psu, it had good reviews I guess. One other thing, Once or twice I had a hdd not show up on the desktop, I repluged it in and it showed up again, I replaced the sata cable and made sure it was tight, seemed to do the trick, but witg the otger problems I'm questioning the Sata on the mobo. I was thinking of putting in a pci-e sata card. Still think it sounds like a psu issue?

Tobias Reaper

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Psu definitely, after closely inspecting it I found physical , looks like it melted down abd damaged the mobo. Lesson learned, don't just but a psu with good ratings on new egg, get a good Corsair Seasonic etc. This psu damaged an sdd and mobo. Thanks logainofhades.