[SOLVED] Frequent Internet Outages as a Result of Modem Issue

Sep 18, 2019
My internet has been periodically disconnecting for extended periods of time over the past 2 weeks. The issue has been deteriorating further over time and at this point the internet won't go back on until I've disconnected and reconnected the coaxial cable from the modem.

When attempting to troubleshoot my browser will pop-up asking me to check the coaxial cable but after checking the cable on both ends and fitting new connectors the issue persists. I have also tried using 3 different modems.

My next step is to entirely replace the coaxial cable but this will require intensive labor as it is snaked through my basement. Is there any other potential fixes I can pursue before resorting to rewiring the house?

Solution
I'd also reach out to your ISP. If this is a leased modem, have them replace it. If it's one you own, then have them re-initialize it. If you're a Comcast/Xfinity customer, keep track of the number of times you need to contact them over issues. For me and my set top box, I've had to start charging them for the number of trips I have to make to their store due to faulty equipment.

-Wolf sends

Ralston18

Titan
Who is your ISP?

Make and model modem? Or, if applicable modem/router?

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Or have a family member or friend who can do so.

Google "how to test coax cable signal with multimeter" (or similar words and phrases) to determine what options are available and viable with respect to your environment.

However, to go back a step, are you able to access any modem or router logs (if available and enabled) to look for any error codes, warnings, etc. that may have been captured?

And I would also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer with respect to any affected Windows computers.

Those logs may likewise be capturing some issue.

My internet has been periodically disconnecting for extended periods of time over the past 2 weeks. The issue has been deteriorating further over time and at this point the internet won't go back on until I've disconnected and reconnected the coaxial cable from the modem.

When attempting to troubleshoot my browser will pop-up asking me to check the coaxial cable but after checking the cable on both ends and fitting new connectors the issue persists. I have also tried using 3 different modems.

My next step is to entirely replace the coaxial cable but this will require intensive labor as it is snaked through my basement. Is there any other potential fixes I can pursue before resorting to rewiring the house?
at this point I would have reached to ISP.
I replaced modem 3 times, and each time they told me if I have ANY problem and reach out, they will help or replace the modem without charging. They just need some reason, disconnections because overheating, to slow for your needs, told me that even saying its ugly and does not match your decor is fine.
Call them

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'd also reach out to your ISP. If this is a leased modem, have them replace it. If it's one you own, then have them re-initialize it. If you're a Comcast/Xfinity customer, keep track of the number of times you need to contact them over issues. For me and my set top box, I've had to start charging them for the number of trips I have to make to their store due to faulty equipment.

-Wolf sends

Solution