Question Frequent ping spikes and even packet loss and my ISP doesn't see it as an issue

Worius

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2016
A test I ran today.
And this is what I'm talking about.
This happens every day and every minute. However, it is not every day that I lose packets but simply just random 150-300ping spikes throughout it.
The last time I called my ISP about it, they send a technician and to my amazing luck it was a day of only 300ping spikes which for him is not a problem judging by his reaction "it's just for milliseconds". It is a pretty big problem for me as it lags the heck out of my games as it happens every 2-3 seconds. I think they are pretty done with me and are not even bothering checking and fixing stuff. I had this exact same problem and situation back in 2017 but after two or three months it got fixed somehow and I'm pretty sure the ISP didn't do anything. The technician plugged in the ethernet cable in his laptop after which he pinged different websites with "ping .... -t -l 4096" The ping spikes were there but no packet loss which is not a problem for him.

The only thing I can think about besides moving out of this internet is my ethernet cable. It should be at least less or more than 10 years old.

In my device manager, I checked for updates for all of these drivers and for only one an update was found not fixing the problem at all.
I've tried different routers and it is the same.
I don't have any background apps doing stuff with my internet.

Is there something more I could try or is changing the ethernet cable the only thing left?

People are too infatuated with just using ping....

Trying to diagnose these kinds of problems using only ping is like trying to cut a roast using a single chopstick.

Instead of pinging the ip addy, run a traceroute on it.

"tracert 194.153.145.104"

If the latency is outside of your network, you can't do anything about it, except contact your ISP again.

If the latency is outside of your ISP's infrastructure, they can't do anything about it at all.

You might as well find out where that actual problem is.

Worius

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2016
People are too infatuated with just using ping....

Trying to diagnose these kinds of problems using only ping is like trying to cut a roast using a single chopstick.

Instead of pinging the ip addy, run a traceroute on it.

"tracert 194.153.145.104"

If the latency is outside of your network, you can't do anything about it, except contact your ISP again.

If the latency is outside of your ISP's infrastructure, they can't do anything about it at all.

You might as well find out where that actual problem is.
I am going to need some help... I'm not very familiar with tracert.
I hid the first three IPs as I recognise the first one as mine and then the next two appear in every tracert test I do, therefor I assume its my ISP thing.

This is what I got. I traced a few sites and such getting random results. Sometimes, it's like in the picture shown, other times its completely fine with no ping over 100 and packet loss but I assume it is because of the same reasons explained above. Tracing at times where there are no ping spikes and tracing at times when there are ping spikes.