Dec 11, 2019
I recently built a new budget gaming rig and I am sure I built it correctly as I was able to install Windows 10 64-bit and use the PC whenever it "permitted" to do so (for 2-3 hours at max before hanging/BSOD). The configuration is as follows:-

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Processor
ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING Motherboard (Had updated BIOS to the most recent v5220 using ezFlash utility)
2X Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM @2400Mhz
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB (which was an RMA Replacement of my old HDD)
Corsair VS550 PSU

I also installed my old Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB but since the PC was acting strange and rather slow I removed it. It ran well on my old PC and also performed better.

So the issue I am facing is frequent BSODs (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL being the most common) and frequent hang-ups (the cursor vanishes and nothing works). I also got "n/a" in the Processor field of the DXDIAG utility (fixed after fresh installation of Windows 10, I guess). For almost a month, I have read thousands of posts on various forums to diagnose the root cause and nothing has helped so far:-

1) Tried Memtest86 to diagnose faulty RAM - v8 onwards used to freeze for me and often return with "UEFI Firmware could not start CPU" errors. v4.3.7 worked well and did not diagnose any problems for the 2-3 passes I ran multiple times.

2) Tried the "sfc /scannow" and DISM utilities and they reported no issues with the integrity of the OS.

3) Tried to update all drivers through the Device Manager for various devices and through Manufacturer's website for AMD components (Chipset and iGPU Drivers).

4) Tried tweaking power plans but to no avail.

5) Thoroughly scanned system for malware, although there were viruses installed through a dubious software once, they were all blocked by Windows Defender. I then did full system scans with Malwarebytes and Kaspersky (did not have them installed simultaneously and also removed them after they served their purpose) to make sure all threats were removed. Regardless, I also did a fresh install of Windows after that and the aforesaid problems still persist.

6) Used SeaTools to scan my HDD's health, it passed all tests.

Interestingly, while I am at the BIOS window, I am unable to change the EZ Tuning Profile and also access quite a few "options". Although I am not into overclocking and tinkering with the BIOS, I found this strange. Also in the most recent attempt at a fresh install of Windows 10 through UEFI, I got a 0xc000005 error.

I have no clue on what component I should send in for RMA and my idea of sending all new components can be counter-productive as I might end up replacing a perfectly working and new component with a refurbished one.

Please advise, I will greatly appreciate any support here.

Last edited:
Solution
Well, clearing CMOS, you normally have to move a jumper/switch. Did you do that? It could be that step is not required for your mobo, but normally is. It's the movement of the jumper that shorts the pins and clears CMOS.

My bad, I missed the memtest reference. However, given that one version has found an issue, it may be the ram does have issues. Have you tried one DIMM at a time? Can you borrow some ram from a friend and see if the issues persist?
Dec 11, 2019
Did you CMOS clear after bios update?

This may solve the issue, given that DXDiag is not recognizing the CPU. Does CPU-z recognize the CPU?

I'd also try testing your ram outside of the OS environment using memtest 86+ to test your ram works as it should at stock settings.

Yes, I did clear the CMOS by removing and re-inserting the CMOS battery. The BIOS, Device Manager and HWMonitor/CPU-z recognized the CPU at all times.

Memtest86 (by Passmark) v4.3.7 as aforesaid reported no problems and I tried it multiple times. Also tried the Memory Diagnostics Tool which also reported no problems. Will memtest86+ report anything different? I have tried toggling D.O.C.P as well.

Well, clearing CMOS, you normally have to move a jumper/switch. Did you do that? It could be that step is not required for your mobo, but normally is. It's the movement of the jumper that shorts the pins and clears CMOS.

My bad, I missed the memtest reference. However, given that one version has found an issue, it may be the ram does have issues. Have you tried one DIMM at a time? Can you borrow some ram from a friend and see if the issues persist?

Last edited:
Reactions: archisbhatt
Solution
Dec 11, 2019
Memtest86-CPU-Error.jpg

No, I did not use the jumper method. Never have, actually. And so far this is my 4th build/PC and the first time I am facing so many issues.

I tried reseating the RAM sticks in different DIMM slots and I ran Memtest86 v8.3 Free once again, and I came across dozens of "[UEFI Firmware Error] Could not start CPU #" until it finally froze at 22:48 minutes with 0 errors (please see inserted image). The developer of Memtest86 has said that a lot of ASUS Motherboards come with buggy firmware that do not work well with Memtest86 (his forum therefore maintains a blacklist). I do not know whether these are words of relief or concern for me.

Thank you so much for your support!

Dec 11, 2019
First thought is a driver issue. You said you updated AMD drivers, but don't forget about the Realtek drivers as well for audio and LAN.

During my first Windows install, I had installed the Realtek Drivers (For both Audio and LAN) through the ASUS Drivers page you have linked. Since I used to get a lot of BSOD's, I uninstalled them and updated the said drivers through Device Manager. It didn't resolve my issue.

Nevertheless in my third clean install of Windows, I have once again installed the Realtek Drivers through the ASUS Drivers page for good luck.

What's interesting is that I got a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD when I was installing the new Radeon Adrenaline 2020 Drivers. Installed just fine when the system rebooted.

Dec 11, 2019
So the last time I was able to use my PC for 4 hours which was pretty rare.

This was after installing Windows updates, during which my PC did hang and an update failed (KB4530684 - Error 0x800f08a). Upon retrying it installed.

After the 4 hour pleasant experience as above, I tried using my PC today thinking issues were fixed. I left my PC running to do household chores and when I returned it seemingly went in sleep mode (I think). Didn't turn on when I tried moving the mouse/pressing random keys. Had to use the reset button for it to turn on. What then booted was Windows 10 with a black background and nothing was responding, not even the start button. I had to reset/reboot multiple times and I am now writing this post with a successful boot. I tried to access Windows Event Viewer and it didn't run the first time, and gave a "MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it" error. After closing it and running it again, I came across several Critical System events bearing Code Event ID: 41 and source Kernel-Power (Didn't reboot cleanly). Perhaps this was due to the hard reboots I was compelled to do? The "sfc /scannow" utility did not report any integrity violations.

Regardless, the myriad of issues I am now facing with this PC build is frustrating me deeply. What can be wrong? Is it the RAM, Motherboard or the HDD? I am also starting to doubt my PSU.

Dec 11, 2019
Your CPU requires at least BIOS 3203 for full support. This is 3 versions past the first one. A BIOS update may be needed here.

I had updated my BIOS to the newest version being v5220. 3203 is even older than the version the Motherboard came with out of the box.

I will be sending both the RAM sticks for RMA since I think that's what the issue is all about. I am no longer getting MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD's but I am now getting frequent SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSOD's.