Frequent Random Hangs/Freezes

MuzzyDeath

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Hey Everyone,
So I'm having a weird problem. My computer randomly hangs. I just put it together and have had this problem from the start. I tried reinstalling Windows; both refreshing and clean installing. I got a motherboard replacement, still not working. Tried running on the minimum hardware and have tried to get all drivers up to date. I've run one HDD at a time and all at once; also put Windows on different hard disk to rule that out. Sometimes my PC runs for an hour, but most of the time it freezes at log in or just after. I'm pretty lost now. Any help is awesome help at this point. If I need to put more information out just ask. Thanks.

My Rig
Chassis: Riptide Razorback Mid Size Desktop Tower

Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming (7693)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 (Vishera)

GPU: GeForce GT 610

PSU: Sentry BXP 600

RAM: Fury HyperX (Kingston) [2x8Gb]

HDD:
1: Caviar Blue 320Gb Western Digital
2: Barracuda 80Gb Seagate
3: Barracuda 40Gb Seagate

DVD: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE
{All SATA}

Hi there MuzzyDeath,

Try to boot up into safe mode and see whether the issue persists.
In case it does, then it is most probably a hardware issue. Have you tried running your system with only one RAM stick at a time? If not you can do that.
If it doesn't it could be a software one. You can go to Resource Monitor and see whether there is something abnormal like high usage of RAM, HDD, etc. and what is causing it.

D_Know_WD

MuzzyDeath

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Hi D_Know_WD,
I have tested my RAM with Memtest86 and manually by swapping one at a time like my HDD's. Also, there were no Hangs while in Safe Mode, but in normal mode the system hung at CPU 18%, Memory 11%, Disk 33% (only disk 1 of 3 at 100%), and network at 0%.

So your primary drive has 100% disk usage right? If this is the case, you can disable several Windows services like: Windows Search, Superfetch, BITS. Check this out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2027511/windows-disk-usage-100-problem.html
Also, it may be a good idea to test your WD drive with WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PEu8sg
In case there is something wrong with the drive, you need to back up the data stored on it as soon as possible.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

MuzzyDeath

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Hey D_Know_WD,
So, this HDD is brand new and the problem persist on any drive. As of now I may have got it after a month of trying, but I'm not certain yet as it has only worked a day. The solution may have been turning the power saving option off that is in the actual CPU features in BIOS. The setting was defaulted and hidden pretty well. So, as of now it looks like it was a CPU issue because I noticed that my CPU was running over the 3.5ghz limit, but nothing is overclocked. Is that a problem? It doesn't seem to get too hot after 5 hours of running, but it normally peaks at 3.80ghz. Never hitting 4ghz.