Frequent restarts even when booting from XP cd please help.

Recently my pc restarts frequently when I start a second task usually. I
checked for viruses or trojans found nothing. Decided to boot from the XP
cd and reinstall windows after the drivers load and screen where enter is
entered to install windows the computer restarts so I cannot reinstall
windows as this happens over and over. Can anyone suggest possible
solutions. I am running a cd based memory tester memtest 1.86 but so far no
memory problems. I am stumped.

"Gordy" <kg0wx@IHATESPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Recently my pc restarts frequently when I start a second task usually. I
> checked for viruses or trojans found nothing. Decided to boot from the XP
> cd and reinstall windows after the drivers load and screen where enter is
> entered to install windows the computer restarts so I cannot reinstall
> windows as this happens over and over. Can anyone suggest possible
> solutions. I am running a cd based memory tester memtest 1.86 but so far
no
> memory problems. I am stumped.

I suspect that you installed WinXP over the top of the existing
flawed installation, thus inheriting all its bad traits. Back up your
data, then allow your disk to be formatted before installing
WinXP. You will have to re-install your applications too.