Question Frequent rise and fall of CPU temperature on ideal usage. (Ryzen 5 3600)

Dec 2, 2020
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600(with stock cooler)
Mobo: Gigabyte B450M
After the fresh installation of new windows I noticed that my CPU temp is going up and down from 45 degree to 55 degree Celsius (not stable). My power plan mode is set to Balanced mode. All the drivers are updated. Why my CPU is behaving like this? Is it harmful for my CPU? Please help me.
Screenshot of CPU status

mdd1963

Polypheme
temps will indeed fluctuate several times per second instantly in lock step with clock speeds and core voltages applied.

During any minute or two of operation within Windows, numerous background tasks could be occurring, from Windows updates, to cloud sync functions, etc., with clock speeds jumping from 800 MHz on all cores to two or three cores jumping to 2 GHz but for a second, then returning to low speeds. Temps would jump around as you are viewing them.

Your best bet is to look at temps with Ryzen Master under some sort of medium-heavy load, such as generated with CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU....; once that stress load is 'stopped' you will see the temps instantly plummet to near idle, assuming no other tasks such as goofy RGB/fan LED control apps are keeping the CPU busy.

Dec 2, 2020
Yes the core clock speed is jumping for from 500MHz to 1800MHz but my task manager isn't showing any kind of abnormal usage! How do I find the malware or apps doing this?

Yes the core clock speed is jumping for from 500MHz to 1800MHz but my task manager isn't showing any kind of abnormal usage! How do I find the malware or apps doing this?
No malware...just Windows. It's got over 80 open apps and services even when 'idle', with maybe 1000 or more total execution threads, and one or two of them are constantly having a go at the CPU. Each time it does you see a spike in activity with a spike in temperature.

Open Task Manager (right click on the toolbar at bottom), on Performance tab look at CPU. You'll see the open processes, threads and handles. Windows is a busy little buffer and that makes multicore processors so much more helpful in this day.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY