Question Frequent router connection drops

TK14

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
so this problem started a week ago when the internet started dropping every 5 minutes, i checked the router and the internet light keep going on and off every 3 to 5 minutes, i changed the router and same thing happens i also contacted my isp and they said all ok in their side, i changed the splitter just in case and also same thing and also changed ethernet cablebut nothing, its very frustrating to keep dc every 5 mins i cant even download a file or play any game without going out of my mind, i will appreciate any help given regarding this matter :(

The ISP will almost always tell you that everything looks fine on their side.

Since you replace the router it almost has to be the ISP. I assume you have a DSL connection from your description. There is not a lot you can set or test. You can look at the numbers to see if they are within the recommended range but DSL Is not as simple as cable modems.

What it sounds like is as load increases you get packet loss and errors. This is a symptom of something wrong with the line. I would check with the router plugged in where the wires come into the house. After that I would force the ISP to come out and check even if that means agreeing to pay money. Most ISP will not charge you if they find the problem is on their side. Even if it is on your side at some point having internet functioning again is worth the money.

Reactions: SamirD

TK14

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
The ISP will almost always tell you that everything looks fine on their side.

Since you replace the router it almost has to be the ISP. I assume you have a DSL connection from your description. There is not a lot you can set or test. You can look at the numbers to see if they are within the recommended range but DSL Is not as simple as cable modems.

What it sounds like is as load increases you get packet loss and errors. This is a symptom of something wrong with the line. I would check with the router plugged in where the wires come into the house. After that I would force the ISP to come out and check even if that means agreeing to pay money. Most ISP will not charge you if they find the problem is on their side. Even if it is on your side at some point having internet functioning again is worth the money.
when i called my isp and the tech came he said that its all alright lol and eh told me that the issue is because of the router adapter even tho he didint check anything related to it.
sometimes its stable and most of the day dc every 5 mins max all day long like this.
iTGMN0v.png

this is my stats in the router page

Been a very long time since I had any kind of dsl. Those rates I think are ok but a little low.

If they came to the house and tested and said it is good I don't know what you do. This would normally indicate a bad router buy you replaced it. I assume the routers you are replacing have a DSL modem in them. It is the modem part that is causing the issue.

Be nice if a router would tell you why it dropped the connection but most your are lucky if they even log the outage. Maybe you get lucky and see something in the log.

You should have seen the point the tested from. It is normally a jack that you plug you house wiring into. I would run a phone cable over the floor and try to plug directly into that. I can't think of anything else that would fail when you have replaced the router and the ISP has tested.

Reactions: SamirD

TK14

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
Code:
2/20/2021 15:43:42> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=80490368
2/20/2021 15:44:34> Last errorlog repeat 5 Times
2/20/2021 15:44:34> SNMP TRAP 2: link down
2/20/2021 15:44:36> PPPoE: Recieve PADT
2/20/2021 15:44:37> Last errorlog repeat 1 Times
2/20/2021 15:44:37> PPPoE: Send PADI
2/20/2021 15:44:37> PPPoE: Recieve PADO
2/20/2021 15:44:37> PPPoE: Send PADR
2/20/2021 15:44:37> PPPoE: Recieve PADS
2/20/2021 15:44:37> CHAP Authentication Successful
2/20/2021 15:44:37> ppp_ready: ch:804e7d04, iface:80411a04
2/20/2021 15:44:38> PPP get IP Address:xxxx
2/20/2021 15:44:38> PPP gateway:xxxx
2/20/2021 15:44:38> PPP subnetmask:255.255.255.255
2/20/2021 15:44:38> PPP primary DNS:41.110.32.3
2/20/2021 15:44:38> PPP secondary DNS:8.8.8.8
2/20/2021 15:44:38> SNMP TRAP 3: link up
2/20/2021 15:44:38> Accept() fail
2/20/2021 15:44:51> Last errorlog repeat 1 Times
2/20/2021 15:44:51> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=80490368
this is whats in the error log when the internet drop happen, modem is TD-W8951N.
My ip changes every 3 to 4 mins wich can tell the connection to my isp is dropping.

Last edited:
Well many smaller ISP pay the level 1 tech barely above minimum wage and basically a AI could follow the script better many times. The one that asked me what a ping command was convinced be that they hire anyone off the street.

They HAVE to know that your connection is going down a lot. Every time this renegotiates the session they will also get log entries.

This is when if you have the option you change ISP, unfortunately many people are lucky to have 1 ISP and have to use them even if they are incompetent idiots.

As suggested you have to bother them until you get the attention of someone who can actually fix this. That guy has to exist but in a small ISP they are very over worked...and many times not paid what they should be either.

Reactions: SamirD and TK14

TK14

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
Well many smaller ISP pay the level 1 tech barely above minimum wage and basically a AI could follow the script better many times. The one that asked me what a ping command was convinced be that they hire anyone off the street.

They HAVE to know that your connection is going down a lot. Every time this renegotiates the session they will also get log entries.

This is when if you have the option you change ISP, unfortunately many people are lucky to have 1 ISP and have to use them even if they are incompetent idiots.

As suggested you have to bother them until you get the attention of someone who can actually fix this. That guy has to exist but in a small ISP they are very over worked...and many times not paid what they should be either.
sadly in my country there is only this incompetent isp exist so no other options and i called em today and will see what fairy tail he will tell me tomorrow xD

If they are the only one, what I would do is get someone else in your household to open a new account. This way, they have to install a new line and make sure it is perfect. Once this new account is good, disconnect your old one. Otherwise, you simply never pay for the new one if they can't get it right.

Reactions: TK14

TK14

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
If they are the only one, what I would do is get someone else in your household to open a new account. This way, they have to install a new line and make sure it is perfect. Once this new account is good, disconnect your old one. Otherwise, you simply never pay for the new one if they can't get it right.
next lvl tech suggestion was if it dc every 5 mins its normal lol and they still didint fix it yet.