[SOLVED] Frequent Updates to SSD Boot drive

Jan 30, 2019
Got a Samsung EVO860 and cloned WIN 7 to it to run as boot and kept old HDD partition as emergency backup. Then I read that SSD life is impacted by frequent delete/write cycles and further compounded by the way complete sections are deleted even to make a small update. Realizing that nearly every program makes frequent updates, such as Mozilla, Adobe, Apple Itunes, Norton Security, I am now wondering if it would be better to use the old HDD (WDD Black 1 GB) as the boot and use the Samsung as my emergency backup. Both drives transfer data at G1 due to outdated MB

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013

Trivial.
As noted above, you'd have to write a LOT, every day, for years. Your application updates would probably be 0.1% of that 82GB.
Having the system on the HDD and the SSD as a backup drive is a total waste of an SSD.

And more and more systems, like mine, as SSD only.
One of my olders drives, a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, has a 75TBW warranty limit.
So far, all 6 SSD in my system combined only rise to 32TBW. This system has been SSD only for years, a couple of those drives are 4+ years old.

Just use it and enjoy it. You'll not wear it out from too many writes in the next decade.

Barty1884

Titan
The read/writes of program updates is negligible in the grand scheme of things. An 860EVO is rated for 150TBW (TB written) or 5 years, and this is the worst-case scenario. High capacities have greater TBW ratings.

150TBW would be the equivalent of 82GB written, every day for 5 years. Not remotely close to likely for the vast majority of users.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013

Trivial.
As noted above, you'd have to write a LOT, every day, for years. Your application updates would probably be 0.1% of that 82GB.
Having the system on the HDD and the SSD as a backup drive is a total waste of an SSD.

And more and more systems, like mine, as SSD only.
One of my olders drives, a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, has a 75TBW warranty limit.
So far, all 6 SSD in my system combined only rise to 32TBW. This system has been SSD only for years, a couple of those drives are 4+ years old.

Just use it and enjoy it. You'll not wear it out from too many writes in the next decade.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS