[SOLVED] Frequent Updates to SSD Boot drive

Jan 30, 2019
Got a Samsung EVO860 and cloned WIN 7 to it to run as boot and kept old HDD partition as emergency backup. Then I read that SSD life is impacted by frequent delete/write cycles and further compounded by the way complete sections are deleted even to make a small update. Realizing that nearly every program makes frequent updates, such as Mozilla, Adobe, Apple Itunes, Norton Security, I am now wondering if it would be better to use the old HDD (WDD Black 1 GB) as the boot and use the Samsung as my emergency backup. Both drives transfer data at G1 due to outdated MB

Solution

Trivial.
As noted above, you'd have to write a LOT, every day, for years. Your application updates would probably be 0.1% of that 82GB.
Having the system on the HDD...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The read/writes of program updates is negligible in the grand scheme of things. An 860EVO is rated for 150TBW (TB written) or 5 years, and this is the worst-case scenario. High capacities have greater TBW ratings.

150TBW would be the equivalent of 82GB written, every day for 5 years. Not remotely close to likely for the vast majority of users.

USAFRet

Titan

Trivial.
As noted above, you'd have to write a LOT, every day, for years. Your application updates would probably be 0.1% of that 82GB.
Having the system on the HDD and the SSD as a backup drive is a total waste of an SSD.

And more and more systems, like mine, as SSD only.
One of my olders drives, a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, has a 75TBW warranty limit.
So far, all 6 SSD in my system combined only rise to 32TBW. This system has been SSD only for years, a couple of those drives are 4+ years old.

Just use it and enjoy it. You'll not wear it out from too many writes in the next decade.

Solution