Question Frequent "WHEA Uncorrectable Errors" BSOD ?

dansessions95

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
I am hoping someone is able to help, I have been having frequent BSOD - WHEA uncorrectable errors happening for around 6 months now but in the past 2 months or so they seem to have been getting alot more frequent.

They don't seem to happen at any specific time it can be whilst gaming or whilst the PC is sat idle. The BSOD is just sits at 0% until my PC reboots and then comes up with the "Reboot and select proper boot device" screen. I then I have to restart the PC to be able to boot into windows.

I have setup dump files but it never seems to save any and I looked in event viewer and it says it failed to save the dump files due to an error?

Temps all appear to be ok, I am currently running Windows Memory diagnostics tool and will maybe try Memtest86 after but I'm suspecting it's my NVME SSD boot drive?

Specs:

MSI MPG X570 Gaming
Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz
AMD Radeon RX6800
Adata SX8200 256gb (Boot drive)
Samsung 980 pro 1TB
Seagate Barracuda 2tb
Corsair SF 750w

Anybody have any ideas how to locate the issue?

Thanks in advance.

I am hoping someone is able to help, I have been having frequent BSOD - WHEA uncorrectable errors happening for around 6 months now but in the past 2 months or so they seem to have been getting alot more frequent.

They don't seem to happen at any specific time it can be whilst gaming or whilst the PC is sat idle. The BSOD is just sits at 0% until my PC reboots and then comes up with the "Reboot and select proper boot device" screen. I then I have to restart the PC to be able to boot into windows.

I have setup dump files but it never seems to save any and I looked in event viewer and it says it failed to save the dump files due to an error?

Temps all appear to be ok, I am currently running Windows Memory diagnostics tool and will maybe try Memtest86 after but I'm suspecting it's my NVME SSD boot drive?

Specs:

MSI MPG X570 Gaming
Ryzen 5 3600
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz
AMD Radeon RX6800
Adata SX8200 256gb (Boot drive)
Samsung 980 pro 1TB
Seagate Barracuda 2tb
Corsair SF 750w

Anybody have any ideas how to locate the issue?

Thanks in advance.
Show a screenshot from crystal disk info for all disk.

Colif

Win 11 Master
BIOS updates can help WHEA errors

WHEA can be caused by any hardware, or overclocking, or heat, or drivers... they not easiest of BSOD to figure out.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

dansessions95

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
BIOS updates can help WHEA errors

WHEA can be caused by any hardware, or overclocking, or heat, or drivers... they not easiest of BSOD to figure out.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
The motherboard Bios isthe latest revision.

I already have them setup but they fail and do not create the Dump file, I get the error shown in the photo everytime? (These dates/times are the BSOD)

View: https://imgur.com/a/jqKk8Ap

I also noticed this error in Event viewer ties up with the memory dump failures.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ACUc8L1

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would what nvme driver you are using
samsung have their own but they wouldn't work with the Adata drive

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

failed dumps and whea errors seem to be a pattern. Makes it harder to figure out cause if software won't help.

these might be newer drivers than what Asus have - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

it could still be boot drive, if the problem is physical then software tests may not pick it up
many of the results for event 161 Volmgr show its a bad drive.
I would install windows on the 1tb drive and see if you still BSOD.
I see more problems with adata drives than I do Samsung.

dansessions95

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
I would what nvme driver you are using
samsung have their own but they wouldn't work with the Adata drive

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

failed dumps and whea errors seem to be a pattern. Makes it harder to figure out cause if software won't help.

these might be newer drivers than what Asus have - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

it could still be boot drive, if the problem is physical then software tests may not pick it up
many of the results for event 161 Volmgr show its a bad drive.
I would install windows on the 1tb drive and see if you still BSOD.
I see more problems with adata drives than I do Samsung.

This is the list of drivers:-

View: https://imgur.com/a/2roEh3F

I will download and install the drivers from the AMD site as yuou mentioned - I believe I already have some installed.

Ok that maybe the anwser then, use the Samsung as the boot drive and replce the ADATA.

Colif

Win 11 Master
must be using a Microsoft driver for nvme access, since its not listed.
Ok that maybe the anwser then, use the Samsung as the boot drive and replce the ADATA.
if it doesn't solve bsod, we can hope we get dumps on the samsung drive
980 Pro doesn't use the Samsung nvme drivers anyway. which is odd considering what it does support... everything else
This driver supports Samsung NVMe™ SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO and 950 PRO.
note: remove suspect nvme from pc before you install windows on Samsung

your BT device is getting old. Drivers are from 2013.

Last edited: