[SOLVED] Frequent WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSODs - occasionally cannot boot from M.2 SSD after a BSOD ?

Sep 26, 2021
For some time now I have been battling a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD, which I understand to mean some level of hardware failure.

I have been trying to discover what is the cause.

First I took out my old HDDs as they are quite old, and I figured could be causing issue. This seemingly solved it, and I didn't BSOD for a while. Then it started again.

Next I disconnected my VERY old disc drive. It's at least 10 years old, but potentially much older, as it was second hand when I got it, from an old PC I thought I was going to upgrade, before I knew how building a PC works. This too solved the issue for a while, and I thought again I'd got to the bottom of it.

Now I've been having it again. Each time before taking out parts to try and solve it, I was getting increasing frequency before taking out the parts. This time, with no HDD or disc drive in, my only drive being my M.2 SSD with with my system on it, I am only getting on average one BSOD in the morning when I first boot up, and it wasn't bothering me too much. My income is changing soon, so upgrades and replacements to parts are likely to happen soon, so I was happy to hang on till then.

However, this morning and yesterday, the BSOD's were more persistent and I had a few, that were followed by the PC launching into the BIOS, and unable to find the SSD to boot to. A restart after this issue seemingly fixes the issue for the day, and most of my BSOD's occur when the PC is freshly booting up for the first time in several hours.

I just want to identify what is likely to be causing the issue so I can fix it. The parts of my PC I'd like to upgrade (the GPU and CPU) aren't likely to be causing the issue based on my searches, so I'd prefer of course that it be fixed without replacing anything, but most of all, diagnosis is what I want.

Here is a link to my DxDiag https://www.dropbox.com/s/69pur7f507cburd/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

My windows is up to date. I fairly recently fresh installed windows, as I was having another issue where windows would not update, and was causing issues. I updated my BIOS at the time to a more recent build to try and fix my windows issue (it didn't work). Upon reflecting on that, could it be a motherboard issue relating to this BIOS build? I believe I updated to F31, a 2019 build for my Gigabyte AB-350 motherboard. I could now update to the most recent one F51b, however, I am hesitant to do this, as I know updating BIOS can go wrong... and I think on an older motherboard what I did at the time would have bricked it, as I made a mistake that I cannot recall now.

Let me know if I can provide any other information that may help diagnose the issue.

Solution
Try this step by step if you could go to windows:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios (download the file, extract the file, copy the extracted folder from the file, copy it to flash drive ( fd must be fat32), plug it on top rear usb slot on motherboard, go to bios (spam del when pc boots). find qflash, enter it and select update bios, then find the folder in the flashdrive and pick the bios file (the...
For some time now I have been battling a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD, which I understand to mean some level of hardware failure.

I have been trying to discover what is the cause.

First I took out my old HDDs as they are quite old, and I figured could be causing issue. This seemingly solved it, and I didn't BSOD for a while. Then it started again.

Next I disconnected my VERY old disc drive. It's at least 10 years old, but potentially much older, as it was second hand when I got it, from an old PC I thought I was going to upgrade, before I knew how building a PC works. This too solved the issue for a while, and I thought again I'd got to the bottom of it.

Now I've been having it again. Each time before taking out parts to try and solve it, I was getting increasing frequency before taking out the parts. This time, with no HDD or disc drive in, my only drive being my M.2 SSD with with my system on it, I am only getting on average one BSOD in the morning when I first boot up, and it wasn't bothering me too much. My income is changing soon, so upgrades and replacements to parts are likely to happen soon, so I was happy to hang on till then.

However, this morning and yesterday, the BSOD's were more persistent and I had a few, that were followed by the PC launching into the BIOS, and unable to find the SSD to boot to. A restart after this issue seemingly fixes the issue for the day, and most of my BSOD's occur when the PC is freshly booting up for the first time in several hours.

I just want to identify what is likely to be causing the issue so I can fix it. The parts of my PC I'd like to upgrade (the GPU and CPU) aren't likely to be causing the issue based on my searches, so I'd prefer of course that it be fixed without replacing anything, but most of all, diagnosis is what I want.

Here is a link to my DxDiag https://www.dropbox.com/s/69pur7f507cburd/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

My windows is up to date. I fairly recently fresh installed windows, as I was having another issue where windows would not update, and was causing issues. I updated my BIOS at the time to a more recent build to try and fix my windows issue (it didn't work). Upon reflecting on that, could it be a motherboard issue relating to this BIOS build? I believe I updated to F31, a 2019 build for my Gigabyte AB-350 motherboard. I could now update to the most recent one F51b, however, I am hesitant to do this, as I know updating BIOS can go wrong... and I think on an older motherboard what I did at the time would have bricked it, as I made a mistake that I cannot recall now.

Let me know if I can provide any other information that may help diagnose the issue.
try to update the bios to the latest and load optimized defaults then save and exit.

Sep 26, 2021
try to update the bios to the latest and load optimized defaults then save and exit.
So the BIOS version could cause such issues then?

Do you have any advice how to do this? I believe I made an error last time, that would have been dangerous in the past. Unfortunately I cannot remember what I did, but I'd like to avoid the scare this time around. So if you have any general advice for a BIOS update, I've appreciate anything you can offer.

Thank you.

So the BIOS version could cause such issues then?
sometimes yes sometimes no.

Do you have any advice how to do this? I believe I made an error last time, that would have been dangerous in the past. Unfortunately I cannot remember what I did, but I'd like to avoid the scare this time around. So if you have any general advice for a BIOS update, I've appreciate anything you can offer.
but first, could you boot to windows while not doing anything? there is some steps required to do (not using internet or smthng, just usual stuff)

Try this step by step if you could go to windows:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios (download the file, extract the file, copy the extracted folder from the file, copy it to flash drive ( fd must be fat32), plug it on top rear usb slot on motherboard, go to bios (spam del when pc boots). find qflash, enter it and select update bios, then find the folder in the flashdrive and pick the bios file (the .51b one i believe), and proceed flashing).

Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings then shutdown.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Last edited:
Solution