[SOLVED] Frequently experiencing BSOD lately

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GamingHard

Reputable
Jul 10, 2017
Hello

Recently my PC started getting BSOD often. It's always either UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION and lately MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors too. I associate them with a videogame that I play because they occur either during or after playing, it's called For Honor, but I'm not actually sure if there is a correlation. I couldn't find anybody else with this specific problem which could be linked to the game.

It usually goes like this: the game suddenly starts going very slow, and after waiting a few minutes, the PC crashes with the UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION error. Today, I was trying it out again to see if the thing magically fixed itself . The game started getting slow again so I forcefully shut it down via task manager. After a couple of minutes the whole PC started getting slowed down and in the end crashed with the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. I'm the computer is beyond help but I still wanna ask you guys if you have any tips or fixes.

I already did some tests I found online. Did sfc /scannow, checked my RAM, temperature of components, scanned harddrive and all the results were okay (except for scanning system files, because it detected that some were corrupted, and also not sure about the temperature).
I also checked through Whocrashed and the two files that were responsible for the crashes were ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlmp.exe.

My specs are:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx
BIOS: F.31 (type: UEFI)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16250MB RAM
Page File: 8463MB used, 21611MB available
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage: (C:) SK hynix BC501 HFM256GDJTNG-8310A (238 GB)
and (D:) ST1000DM003-1SB102 (1 TB)
I'd also like to mention that this PC was not built by me but instead was bought off a store.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I feel its the hdd, I am not sure I would keep using a hdd for long that needs to have fix all run on it. Even if it passes 2 times after. I would think about a new one that has no errors on it.
Perhaps. Earlier today I decided to make a Long Test via SeaTools, the test failed multiple times so I figured the error could be in my hard drive after all. I chose the Fix All option and then did the Long test twice and it didn't fail anymore. It would be great if that fixed my BSOD, but I'm not sure if SeaTools is capable of fixing such problems in the hard drive.

it might be fine, but as all the BSOD are the same and all in virtual memory which can only be 2 things, ram or storage.

1st error above is an I/O error as it was talking...

Colif

Win 11 Master
its a recovery partition on the hdd - the disky tab shows it. I should have just looked harder (downside of the program is the language it collects is yours, not mine)
237gb is right size for a 250gb ssd formatted
915.55 + 16gb = 932gb which is about right size for a 1tb hdd.
HP would use that recovery partition if you did a factory reset.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamingHard

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://obdurategibbon.htmlpasta.com/

File information:061120-446734-01.dmp (Jun 11 2020 - 05:13:17)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (154)
Probably caused by:hardware_disk (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:4 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Edit: Results for dump file below: https://untestedamericaneskimodog.htmlpasta.com/

File information:061320-68578-01.dmp (Jun 13 2020 - 12:49:58)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

the store in question is the memory store. Its used by virtual memory to track what is meant to be where. Virtual memory is in ram

GamingHard

Reputable
Jul 10, 2017
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

the store in question is the memory store. Its used by virtual memory to track what is meant to be where. Virtual memory is in ram

Thank you, but I'm having a problem running it. I wrote the img file on the USB, restarted the computer but memtest86 doesn't launch, it just logs me into windows. I'm not very tech savvy, am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Okay memtest is running now. Will post the results when it is done. My USB just appeared in the boot options twice and I wasnt sure which one to select, so I selected the first one, I hope that doesnt screw it up.

Last edited:

GamingHard

Reputable
Jul 10, 2017
And the game of Whack a mole continues.

Probably a driver, I am reluctant to suggest 1 thing as it can leave you in a boot loop. So I wait and see what next error says.
Perhaps. Earlier today I decided to make a Long Test via SeaTools, the test failed multiple times so I figured the error could be in my hard drive after all. I chose the Fix All option and then did the Long test twice and it didn't fail anymore. It would be great if that fixed my BSOD, but I'm not sure if SeaTools is capable of fixing such problems in the hard drive.

I will report when the next BSOD occurs (hopefully it won't).

Colif

Win 11 Master
The “Fix All” tests provide the ability to fix problem LBA’s (bad sectors). There are two options with the “Fix All” tests, “Fast” and “Long”. Be sure that you have all of your data backed up before running any of the “Fix All” tests. When SeaTools reallocates these problem sectors the actual data in a particular sector is unreadable and already lost. Unless the drive is full of data, it is quite possible for the problem sector to be empty of data, anyway.

“Fix All Fast” uses the drive's activity logs to identify suspicious sectors which may or may not be bad. SeaTools goes to each one in the list and if it really is bad the program will try to reallocate that one sector. If successful SeaTools moves on to the next if not successful then the test fails. On average the time is less than 5 minutes.

“Fix All Long” does a sequential scan of the media and discovers any problem sectors and attempts to reallocate them along the way. The time is very long and may take several hours (about 3 hrs per TB).
https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/kb/how-to-use-seatools-for-windows-202435en/

Do errors only happen when you running data off hdd?

maybe run chkdsk x: /f /r on hdd (replace X with hdd drive letter) although it is possible the fix all does same thing.

GamingHard

Reputable
Jul 10, 2017
I noticed that a new BIOS version is out. It fixes the following:
- Improves the system compatibility issues with SW applications.

I also noticed that I skipped a BIOS update from December 2019. It fixes the following:

Code:
1. Update BIOS Version to F.40
2. Fixed SIO1784915 - F9/ F12 will show IPv4+IPv6 when set Network Boot Protocol to IPv4 or IPv6.
3. Added new setup item for EC stop bit
4. Update MCU to CA

Could an outdated BIOS version be causing my BSOD? Should I update it?

GamingHard

Reputable
Jul 10, 2017
Alright, I did the update. For now there has been no BSOD, but that's probably because I still haven't had the chance to test it. But I think that my PC got a bit slower after the update, for example I'm having issues starting up certain games.

EDIT: As soon as I wrote that, the BSOD happened again. Not even the BIOS update could fix it. Minidump:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/b90pnr1n03lqkjo/061820-150156-01.dmp/file

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://keratoidirish.htmlpasta.com/
File information:061820-90343-01.dmp (Jun 18 2020 - 14:49:31)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 19 Hour(s), 47 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

File information:061820-150156-01.dmp (Jun 17 2020 - 17:02:41)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 32 Min(s), and 46 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I feel its the hdd, I am not sure I would keep using a hdd for long that needs to have fix all run on it. Even if it passes 2 times after. I would think about a new one that has no errors on it.

it might be fine, but as all the BSOD are the same and all in virtual memory which can only be 2 things, ram or storage.

1st error above is an I/O error as it was talking to a drive. It had just caused a page fault (that regardless of how they sound, are normal operations on any operating system that uses Virtual memory. A Page fault is when PC needs to get info off storage instead of RAM). So it looks like it had problems getting to info off drive.
Error 2 was also after a Page fault.

Solution

GamingHard

Reputable
Jul 10, 2017

1st error above is an I/O error as it was talking to a drive. It had just caused a page fault (that regardless of how they sound, are normal operations on any operating system that uses Virtual memory. A Page fault is when PC needs to get info off storage instead of RAM). So it looks like it had problems getting to info off drive.
Error 2 was also after a Page fault.
I don't understand it then, I did multiple tests, noone showed signs of problems within the harddrive

TRENDING THREADS