Question Frequently losing access to internet

Mar 30, 2019
We have cable internet service at the road. There is the providers cable modem at the residence at the road. Into it we have a wireless router with 4 port switch. At the house we have wireless service (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies) for the house. Into the switch is plugged our wireless bridge connecting our camp 1,500 feet away. At our camp we have another bridge and an access point (wired, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies) for the camp.

Frequently we lose our internet accessibility. The browser will stall stating something like "looking up host" for a few seconds then show us a page that says we have no internet or will eventually show us a dnsrsearch.com result with a search for the website we just clicked a link on stating the website could not be found. I can ping our router (sub 4ms) from anywhere on the network. I can ping a website in the great ether and get a reliable response, but I cannot get a page to load on the website I want to be on. I can change browsers to go to the website I was told did not exist and I can change wireless networks to go to the desired website.

This happens at no particular place in the network I connect at no frequency or reason I can detect.

I have contacted the provider three times and each time I place a replacement wireless router behind their cable modem. It works for a while (hours or maybe a day) but the problem returns. I have changed to using google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) but still have the same problems return.

Any suggestions will be investigated and tried if found reasonable?

If you can ping ip addresses then the internet is functional. If you can ping via name then DNS works. You can test DNS with the nslookup command if you are not sure.

It almost has to be the browser messing things up. I suppose it could be firewall but generally web surfing is allowed even on the most restrictive settings. It would be ping that was more likely to be blocked.

Make sure there is no vpn or proxy in the browser. DNSRSEARCH is considered malware so you need to figure why you even see that.

Mar 30, 2019
It is really strange. I believed this problem to be affecting everyone on the network. Others say they have problems, but I only hear of general issues. Nothing specific. I am thinking that just because others were having troubles that the issues were identical to mine. I have to verify this with the others. I didn't think my issue was with my computer because this computer has been formatted and renewed three times. It is Ubuntu 18.04 and I was thinking that since I had 3 fresh linux installs that my computer would be free of malware. Perhaps I have been installing the same software all along and the malware came with the software I installed. From Ubuntu's software: GIMP, Apache Netbeans, Google Chrome and Clocks. Elsewhere: Valve's Steam and a couple versions of Half-Life. I don't visit nefarious websites that one might suspect of handing out malware.

I cleaned out the browsers...I'll see what happens.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Mar 30, 2019
I now have a fresh install of Windows 10 and Ubuntu on this laptop. The issue persists on the fresh installs. I use Ubuntu most regularly except for when I need a Windows program. I stopped using Chrome since the issue happened most frequently when using Chrome. Firefox still has the same issue, but not as frequently. I can blaze through pages, then everything appears to stop returning pages from the web. No particular website is affected. As the browser tries to return a page I open a terminal and ping the website with success. Usually returning in 10 to 40ms. I can open another browser to open the page being requested in the affected browser tab. Perhaps something is running on the network that is using the port that the page is slow to load? I should check the other computers for malware. Any other suggestions?

I just had the issue in Firefox. I opened a new Firefox instance, pasted the troubled url and it opened right up. Would that be a port blocked/used issue?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS