[SOLVED] Fresh Build: Monitor Black

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Good afternoon,

After spending a very hot day fiddling around with the build below, I finished building my system (first ever) and came to try it for the first time. No issues to report when building it and followed a guide to the letter.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fRC8RJ

Came to try the tower using my old Monitor (Benq 2450) and realized the GPU has only HDMI input and this monitor doesn't have an HDMI slot. I tried plugging the GFX card directly in to the (DVI I Think) port found on the Mobo where the IO protector goes and that didn't do anything. Not sure if that can even be used if a GFX card is seated?

I whipped it in to the living room and tried using the HDMI from the 50"TV instead but screen was black and the TV reported no input found. Not sure if a normal TV works for this kind of thing? I'm clueless.

As far as the guide went I don't seem to have missed any cables that I can see. All fans spinning including on GFX card.

PSU is connected to Mobo (12 pin), CPU, GPU, Sata drive and all front panel cables in respective slots. Nothing left in PSU box except a 2nd CPU/GPU/Data cable and one unknown cable which the guide mentioned using for my fans but I don't think it was required.

If the system was working would it have shown up on the living room TV or the GFX card running through Mobo slot or do i need a proper HDMI PC Monitor to test?

Panicking I have done something wrong but don't want to strip the system apart again if it's a simple fix.

Help/advice would be appreciated.

View: https://imgur.com/iFA1B3W

View: https://imgur.com/a/eaXAFIP

bignastyid

Titan
Your cpu has no igpu so the video ports on the motherboard are worthless. When you tried the TV was it plugged into the gpu or the motherboard?

Has the motherboards bios been updated? Most of the B450 board require a bios update to work with the 3000 series cpus(the MSI MAX boards are the only ones I can think of that come with support for the 3000 series out of the box).

Also a HDMI to DVI adapter is what you'll want to connect the monitor to the video card.

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Your cpu has no igpu so the video ports on the motherboard are worthless. When you tried the TV was it plugged into the gpu or the motherboard?

Has the motherboards bios been updated? Most of the B450 board require a bios update to work with the 3000 series cpus(the MSI MAX boards are the only ones I can think of that come with support for the 3000 series out of the box).

Also a HDMI to DVI adapter is what you'll want to connect the monitor to the video card.

Just tried HDMI in Card to HDMI 24inch TB and got no input found so it's not that.

Regards updating the Mobo I have no idea... I got suggested this board by someone on this board for the specific reason it would not require said updates when shipped? It is the B450 Gaming Plus

If that is the issue is there any way to update the Board without even being able to boot...?

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
The board still requires a bios update to work with the 3000 series cpus(bios rev 7B86v19 or newer), but luckily it's one of the few that supports updating the bios with no cpu or one incompatible with the current bios rev.

Page 38 of the manual has the instructions for using the bios flash button. The location of the button in on page 21.
Link to the manual
http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v1.2-GSE-LITE.pdf

LInk to the newest(non beta) bios.
http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B86v1A.zip

*adding the links to the correct ones for the 450m as the ones above are for the non m version(oops).
Manual bios flash instruction page 20, button location page 7
http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7B87v1.2.pdf

Bios update
http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B87v18.zip

Last edited:

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
The board still requires a bios update to work with the 3000 series cpus(bios rev 7B86v19 or newer), but luckily it's one of the few that supports updating the bios with no cpu or one incompatible with the current bios rev.

Page 38 of the manual has the instructions for using the bios flash button. The location of the button in on page 21.
Link to the manual
http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v1.2-GSE-LITE.pdf

LInk to the newest(non beta) bios.
http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7B86v1A.zip

Literally just finished reading about the Flashback thing and was smiling in anticipation of fixing it. Downloaded the drivers, added to USB, popped in flash drive and pressed the button. Machine powers for 1 second or so, then turns immediately back off and the red light stays solid so assuming that's not working.

Everything was plugged in except the GPU as per instructions on MSI site. This is not a fun day. Any idea what I am now doing wrong?

Thanks

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Was the usb drive formatted in fat32?
Was the bios file(E7B86AMS.1A0) renamed to MSI.ROM?
Was the usb drive in the correct port(usb port closest to the flash bios button)?

Yep. Yep. Yep.

Found a whole thread of disgruntled people on Reddit with the same issue and no answer on how to fix it. Red light blinks 2-3 times. then stays solid showing it's failed. My patience are near zero now. If I had known getting this MOBO to work quickly and efficiently would be this much of a hassle I would have chosen something else. This effin thing was recommended to me for this EXACT reason.

Pretty sure I remember seeing a red light top right of the board as well which somebody just told me was the CPU light so I'd say this is the issue. As for the Flash not working....FK knows.

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
This gets worse. Close to going nuclear and launching something at this point. After running the update the PC now won't even stay powered on. VGA light is light (i think from the diagram below) and during boot the CPU light comes on and goes off also. Literally powers up for 3-4 seconds and then powers back down.

View: https://imgur.com/a/pwES4Od

Going from staying on but no display, to not even staying on now. I want this day to end.

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
It wont even stay on for more than 3 seconds. Seems like a loss of progress not a gain.

If I turn the power off complete and then turn back on at the plug there are no lights.

Turn on the PC, CPU light immediately lights up and then the PC turns itself back off. Once the PC is off, the VGA light remains on.

Not a clue. Seriously. This is just painful.

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
This is not a solution, but just an insight that might shed some light on the subject. If you ran into problems when flashing the board, that's nothing unusual. Ever since the Ryzen Zen 2 was released to this day, with any available BIOS-version, the MSI B450-Ryzen 3000 compatibility is more or less of a nightmare as for now. Those who manage to get the boards flashed tend to run into serious posting issues, those who get them to post tend to run into serious operating issues. There are some lucky ones getting the whole flashing scenario done with a good outcome, but really a few. MSI's B450-boards, such as the Tomahawk & Pro Carbon are returned one after another. Nonetheless MSI has released newer versions of their B450's that are Ryzen 3000-compatible straight out the box, not requiring any kind of flashing for them to work. Not sure if they are only available in the US at the moment.

These threads are quite worrying to read.

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
I have reset the CMOS to ensure that all my onboard Graphics are not disabled by the card. I have taken the GPU out completely for now and will try to get to Bios without it in at all running the onboard GFX. It's currently re-flashing again after the CMOS jump and if that doesn't work this Mobo is going straight back to Amazon and I guess I'll be starting the build again with a different board.

Just checking, without the GPU in place, would VGA light still be on?

I have reset the CMOS to ensure that all my onboard Graphics are not disabled by the card. I have taken the GPU out completely for now and will try to get to Bios without it in at all running the onboard GFX. It's currently re-flashing again after the CMOS jump and if that doesn't work this Mobo is going straight back to Amazon and I guess I'll be starting the build again with a different board.

Just checking, without the GPU in place, would VGA light still be on?
Onboard graphics arent supported by ryzen. Irt will not work properly without the gou.

Your gpu must be installed to work. You should see a vga led if there is no gpu installed.

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Hold the phone.

Re-seated everything. Reset CMOS, Ran Flashback, Booted it up and...

WE HAZ A BIOS SCREEN!

Had a few red lights flash on/off while booting (is this normal while it checks each system)?

Going to try and Get Win10 on USB now and see if we can actually have a working system by the end of the night.

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Just a very quick question while I create my Win Boot Media (had to format the only drive I had to use for Flash back)

While I'm waiting are the any Bios Settings that normally want tweaking from the start regards temps, fans etc or leave them default for now?

bignastyid

Titan
Just a very quick question while I create my Win Boot Media (had to format the only drive I had to use for Flash back)

While I'm waiting are the any Bios Settings that normally want tweaking from the start regards temps, fans etc or leave them default for now?
Might need to enable XMP to get the memory running at the correct speed. But this can be done after installing windows.

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Windows now updated and I'm typing on the new system but the front fan has stopped spinning. My oh my it's a barrel of laughs Today. Assuming Front fan plugged directly in to Mobo should spin 100% of the time and not based on temp?

Also what is the best way to keep an eye on temps so i can make sure I have put this thing Together ok and haven't wrecked the thermal paste or anything stupid. Also seeing as my fan is dead.

TRENDING THREADS