Question Fresh build... PC does not seem to shut down completely using Windows Shut down

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hi,

So, I just used Black Friday to build a new PC. It is:

Ryzen 5 3600X CPU
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Mobo
Powercolor Red Dragon RX5700 GPU
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
PowerSpec 650W 80 Plus Bronze Semi-Modular PSU
32GB Corsair Vengence 3200

Issue:
PC seems to be running and performing fine until I shut down. When I click the Windows Shut down start menu option, everything seems to shut down except the motherboard (??). It remains lit up, but all fans and PSU shuts off. So, when I go back to turn on the PC later, it will not boot. Fans start, everything buzzes and hums as it should, but I get nothing on my monitor. Just a black screen. I have to reset the PC by flipping the PSU switch on the back to kill ANY and ALL power. Once I flip the switch back and boot, I'm up and running fine again...

Things tried or changed:
1. I have also changed my power settings in Windows to not allow the PC to be put to sleep after so many minutes, but monitors are allowed to shut off after 30 minutes.

2. Have attempted to "Load optimized defaults" in the BIOS and no changes.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help me troubleshoot this thing.

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I couldn't find any information on that PowerSpec PSU, but I'm guessing that is most likely the culprit. Did you buy all your parts at Micro Center by any chance?

Yep. Entire build is from MC. Here is PSU link: https://www.microcenter.com/product...-80-plus-bronze-atx-semi-modular-power-supply

It was quoted to me as "Microcenter's brand PSU with a 5 year warranty" so I went with it based on the warranty. I did question the wattage because I thought I read somewhere the RX5700 recommends 750W. But, MC guy said 650 would be plenty since I have no plans to overclock. But, on the flip side, the PC runs fine once it is booted.

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
However, I’m now reading that there have been several versions released since the version I’m on and to update because my version, F1, has problems. So I will try updating the bios..

Updated bios.. still power failure. Luckily the bios seems to have updated fine when the pc had trouble rebooting..

I did find an option for pc health under settings. It shows my 12V connection jumping from 11.95 to 12.02V. So that does make me wonder if it’s the psu. Thoughts? If you think the psu, are you thinking more power would be the answer? Maybe upgrade to 750w?

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
so, found out I was missing the fact that Ryzen cpu's do not have support onboard video and that is why I'm getting no video. But, problem of motherboard not shutting down still persists.. Anyone have any suggestions on what and how to test next?

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I don't know what happened, but after plugging in the graphics card everything booted fine and has mostly been running well. When I hook up the third monitor windows seems to have trouble loading and I usually get a black screen (nothing on it) before the login screen should appear. It is a DVI monitor so I'm using a Startech DVI > DisplayPort adapter. Ran this same setup on my GTX 660 in previous rig, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the adapter.

So, I REALLY don't know what's happening... As I type this out, the system seems to be working out its kinks after a couple restarts... Everything seems to be running fine... will continue to shutdown and restart this evening to ensure it is working.