[SOLVED] Fresh install infinite loop or no bootable device

zacXL2099

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
I just installed a new 250gb Kingston ssd onto my pc and recovery USB to install windows. Installation seems to be going smoothly then when it reaches the 10 seconds count down and it restarts. After the restart, however, it loops back to the beginning of the installation screen. I then unplugged the USB and let the pc restart but after a minute, I was greeted with the: "No bootable device, press any key to reset". I even went to the bios screen to change the boot order from USB to ssd but I still got the same message. My computer registered the ssd so I don't it's the problem. I'd appreciate any help, thanks in advance!

Solution
One of the most common causes is BIOS screwing up the boot order after installation -you install with the USB, USB copies files and the Windows installer to the drive, hands off the boot order to the drive and restarts- sometimes BIOS can't see through this and will try booting the USB resulting the installation to start over. That's really dumb, but that's how it be.

When it counts down, plug the USB out-so it won't try booting that off- and fire up the BIOS screen when shown. Check that you have Legacy/CSM Mode disabled. Also if there is "Windows Boot Manager: <drive name>" make it the top boot order (or override boot order with it) and see if it works.

zacXL2099

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
I also went into the fix my computer option > advanced > startup repair and I got the message: "startup repair couldn't repair your pc, log file: C:\windows\system32\Logfiles\Str\StrTrail.txt"

Colif

Win 11 Master
What motherboard do you have?

Some motherboards have a mode (sometimes found in save/exit screen of bios) where you can set a one off boot drive. This gets around this problem of the PC restarting and using the USB since its 1st item in boot order.

no point trying to fix the install, its not completed, All its done is copied windows onto ssd, its not installed it.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
One of the most common causes is BIOS screwing up the boot order after installation -you install with the USB, USB copies files and the Windows installer to the drive, hands off the boot order to the drive and restarts- sometimes BIOS can't see through this and will try booting the USB resulting the installation to start over. That's really dumb, but that's how it be.

When it counts down, plug the USB out-so it won't try booting that off- and fire up the BIOS screen when shown. Check that you have Legacy/CSM Mode disabled. Also if there is "Windows Boot Manager: <drive name>" make it the top boot order (or override boot order with it) and see if it works.

Solution