[SOLVED] Fresh install of 7, no drivers working/no internet

cv_02kr

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2014
Hi all,

I had to recently reinstall windows because the os crashed after trying to install an update (it literally blue screened and then proceeded to slow down over the next week until it broke itself. I'm also confused.) Good news, I didn't loose anything as I could still access my files in safe mode. Bad news, I've reinstalled and now can't connect to the internet to verify the product key. I tried going into device manager and google searching the hardware ID's, but none of the drivers that come up do anything. I'm so frustrated at this point I'm probably not thinking straight as to an easy solution, but help would be appreciated.

It's a Toshiba Satellite C675-S7200 running a fresh copy of 7 home premium, 32 bit.

Solution
Searched serial #; https://support.dynabook.com/support/driversOSResults?freeText=5B120398R

There seem to be multiple of each driver; which ones are necessary? They even seemed to be labeled the same date/version. There's both an Intel wireless LAN AND the Realtek. (multiples of each.)
The default listing is by date. Change the listing by "Name" and then filter only for Drivers and it will make more sense, as it lists the various versions of each driver; I would try the first listed and newest first. While it sometimes seems to list the same driver version more the once, you will see the size of the driver has been changed. As far as Intel or wireless, unless you know for sure the actual wireless lan installed in your...

cv_02kr

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2014
Hi all,

I had to recently reinstall windows because the os crashed after trying to install an update (it literally blue screened and then proceeded to slow down over the next week until it broke itself. I'm also confused.) Good news, I didn't loose anything as I could still access my files in safe mode. Bad news, I've reinstalled and now can't connect to the internet to verify the product key. I tried going into device manager and google searching the hardware ID's, but none of the drivers that come up do anything. I'm so frustrated at this point I'm probably not thinking straight as to an easy solution, but help would be appreciated.

It's a Toshiba Satellite C675-S7200 running a fresh copy of 7 home premium, 32 bit.
FOUND IT. Posting in case anyone else has the same issue,

https://d3.driverscollection.com/-4...506630553/0019-Install_Win7_7112_08302017.zip

cv_02kr

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2014
I spoke too soon. That worked for my ethernet, but not wireless. I've tried everything. The graphics driver doesn't work right, either. I can't use the aero feature and my resolution won't go higher than 1024x786, when it previously went higher than that. Everything is waaayyy too zoomed in and I can't fix it. Windows update won't install any drivers, and right clicking in device manager "update driver software..." does nothing. :(

Yes, you discovered computers need make/ model drivers to go with a Windows install. If you are looking for drivers, it best to look at the source. In this case Toshiba https://support.dynabook.com/drivers. Keep in mind that the same model have have some different components, meaning you may need to experiment to try which driver will work; this can be mitigated if you enter the serial number rather than the model number. Checking your Device Manager may give you a hardware description leading to the correct driver. Once ypou figure this out, best to put all the drivers on a thumb drive so you have them if a fresh reinstall is necessary again.

Last edited:

cv_02kr

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2014
Yes, you discovered computers need make/ model drivers to go with a Windows install. If you are looking for drivers, it best to look at the source. In this case Toshiba https://support.dynabook.com/drivers. Keep in mind that the same model have have some different components, meaning you may need to experiment to try which driver will work; this can be mitigated if you enter the serial number rather than the model number. Checking your Device Manager may give you a hardware description leading to the correct driver. Once ypou figure this out, best to put all the drivers on a thumb drive so you have them if a fresh reinstall is necessary again.

I've tried every driver listed on the website. Related to lan/wireless/ internet in general. As well as all of the visual drivers. I've looked up everything I can. The Realtek driver that's supposed to work for the wireless does nothing. The sarcastic nature of your response isn't appreciated.

cv_02kr

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2014
No sarcasm intended at all (but I can see how you could take it that way; my bad). Check out this link https://www.toshiba-drivers.com/download-toshiba/satellite-c675-s7200-drivers-for-windows/ and choose Windows 7, 32bit or 64 bit. This link shows drivers for an Atheros Wireless Lan Driver, not Realtec.

No biggie. And yes; I know. I've tried that one as well, but searching the hardware ID (currently replying on my phone and don't have it handy) pulls for Realtek. In short, I've tried both. I initially had yellow warning triangles for everything internet related and managed to find the right drivers, all but for the network. Same issue with the video driver. It clearly has one, but it must not be the correct/up to date one as the "aero" feature doesn't work. As well as the resolution issue.

cv_02kr

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2014
Searched serial #; https://support.dynabook.com/support/driversOSResults?freeText=5B120398R

There seem to be multiple of each driver; which ones are necessary? They even seemed to be labeled the same date/version. There's both an Intel wireless LAN AND the Realtek. (multiples of each.)
The default listing is by date. Change the listing by "Name" and then filter only for Drivers and it will make more sense, as it lists the various versions of each driver; I would try the first listed and newest first. While it sometimes seems to list the same driver version more the once, you will see the size of the driver has been changed. As far as Intel or wireless, unless you know for sure the actual wireless lan installed in your PC, you will just have to try tems both and see which one works.

Solution

cv_02kr

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2014
The default listing is by date. Change the listing by "Name" and then filter only for Drivers and it will make more sense, as it lists the various versions of each driver; I would try the first listed and newest first. While it sometimes seems to list the same driver version more the once, you will see the size of the driver has been changed. As far as Intel or wireless, unless you know for sure the actual wireless lan installed in your PC, you will just have to try tems both and see which one works.

Finally got the wireless driver. Weirdly enough, even directly plugged in my download speed seems to have just died (I ran a speed test on another computer; my router is putting out 60mps down.) Even directly plugged it's only pulling about 6 down according to speed test. No idea if my computer is just being stupid or if it's a driver issue now. Whatever. Currently rummaging through the graphics drivers in an attempt to find the one to fix the resolution issue. But the OG issue is now solved.