[SOLVED] Fresh install of Windows 10 on new laptop

Oct 6, 2020
Hi guys,
Bought a new laptop a week or so ago (Strix Scar 15 2021) and its all great apart from its ability to go to sleep... it just won't! When I press the power button (I have assigned this button for the laptop to go to sleep via power options) it goes into standby mode and then more often than not, it wakes itself up after a few seconds.
I have tried everything in the book but nothing has helped, there was a new bios which I thought would sort it, a new Windows update but still nothing.
Would a complete fresh install of Windows (via USB) help this or is it a waste of time?

Solution
no, we just use another tool
Download Crystaldiskinfo - https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Drive should show as excellent or similar as its brand new, we just checking as it could be one reason for the problems.

if its just a new laptop and you don't have anything to lose by clean installing, you can try but if it keeps it up, I would return it and ask them to fix it or replace it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its most likely a driver that is causing it, I don't know if I would clean install to fix it. it could but its a lot just to fix a driver.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Oct 6, 2020
its most likely a driver that is causing it, I don't know if I would clean install to fix it. it could but its a lot just to fix a driver.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.
Anything I can update on that list?

I have already updated the intel wireless drivers but that didn't help (I downloaded Intel Driver Assistant)

Oct 6, 2020
Most of the driver lists i see don't have dates and aren't full of 2020/21 drivers, so nothing jumps out at me.

is it a QS or QR?

I wonder what make the nvme is in it. We can test it to see if its okay
Its a QR (G533QR-HQ005T), not sure on the brand, I could pop it open and check or I'll see if I can found out online

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download Crystaldiskinfo - https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Drive should show as excellent or similar as its brand new, we just checking as it could be one reason for the problems.

if its just a new laptop and you don't have anything to lose by clean installing, you can try but if it keeps it up, I would return it and ask them to fix it or replace it.

Solution
Oct 6, 2020

It says its good at 100% so that's fine at least - so I'll try a fresh install and see how I get on I guess

Thanks a lot for your help

Oct 6, 2020

Ok, so I have done the fresh install (fun times), its seems to just go into standby mode now when pressing the power button without turning itself on again. So it seems I am half way there. Is there any way to change the laptop from going to sleep other than standby?

Oct 6, 2020
Oh, no - that's the first thing I did! Standby is different to sleep, standby just basically turns the screen and lights off but there is still activity happening (I can see the processing light blinking on and off).
So basically, when I change power and sleep, where it says 'On Battery/When plugged in, turn off after x amount of time for screen to turn off and then another for sleep, it just turns the screen off. I set screen off for a minute, then sleep for 2 minutes and nothing changed after the screen went off in that initial minute.

Oct 6, 2020
i might be tired, i don't understand what you want to do?

Do you want to change what power button does?
right click start
choose power options
in next window, click Additional power options under Related Settings
Click Choose what the power button does
select from drop down list.
So I have just tried another way in which I set the timer to sleep in a minute and set the 'turn off screen' option to never and nothing happens at all

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you grab drivers after the fresh install as that could help. run windows update and visit Asus strix website.

standby might be hibernate, there are only so many modes in Windows.
sleep
hibernate
Fast Startup
all use same processes.

or I am just being dumb :)

Oct 6, 2020
did you grab drivers after the fresh install as that could help. run windows update and visit Asus strix website.

standby might be hibernate, there are only so many modes in Windows.
sleep
hibernate
Fast Startup
all use same processes.

or I am just being dumb :)
I think Hibernate is an even deeper sleep than sleep, it basically turns off the system but leaves apps open for when you next turn on.

I've grabbed all possible drivers I could think of but nothing doing. Maybe I'll just have to wait for a windows update that would sort it.