Question Fresh install of Windows boots to black screen on restart, even on brand new drives. Have tried everything and still happening ?

Mar 19, 2023
About 6 months ago my system would boot to a black screen every now and then. Now it happens 100% of the time. I did a factory clean install of Windows, it still happened on the first restart. I then did a factory clean install of Windows on a brand new drive, it still happened. When I first boot the PC usb devices power up as normal, but as soon as the bios logo leaves the devices all die. The black screen happens even with no USB devices at all plugged in. I ran a 3 minute test on BurnIn Test and it showed zero errors. I reseated every component, it still happens. I run sfc /scannow and it tells me there is no violations. I'm pulling my hair out, does anyone have any idea what this could be? I did update the bios twice myself in the past if its possible that I've corrupted it in some way. I'm running an AMD ryzen 7 3800x cpu with MSI BIOS that has no factory reset option. I have HWMonitor test results I can share if needed!

Mar 19, 2023
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

MSI Tomahawk B550
AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Palit GeForce RTX 2060
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4

was booting from a Samsung 970 NVME but is now booting off some generic NVME from Amazon (both with same results), GameMax RGB Rainbow 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
MSI Tomahawk B550, AMD Ryzen 7 3800x, Palit GeForce RTX 2060, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4, was booting from a Samsung 970 NVME but is now booting off some generic NVME from Amazon (both with same results), GameMax RGB Rainbow 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
You said you have 16GB of RAM yet have 4 x 8GB (which is 32GB). Which is it? Is this all one set? If it is two separate kits, remove one of them and test it with the other kit only.

How did you do the clean install of Windows? Did you use the official Media Creation Tool?

Mar 19, 2023
You said you have 16GB of RAM yet have 4 x 8GB (which is 32GB). Which is it? Is this all one set? If it is two separate kits, remove one of them and test it with the other kit only.

How did you do the clean install of Windows? Did you use the official Media Creation Tool?

Sorry, I wrote it wrong. It's 32GB of RAM with two different kits (same type of stick, just purchased in 2 packs) I tested with 2 sticks only and no difference. I used the official media creation tool. I have since replaced the battery on my bios and cleaned the PSU (I have never cleaned it in 2 years of owning this PC and it had a layer of dust on the fan about 4mm thick...) and it seems to have cleared the problem for now