Question Fresh install of Windows, can't install certain apps

Hello,

Got some new hardware so reinstalled windows 10. Every "privacy slider" during install was turned off.
Windows is fully updated, but I've been noticing frustrating errors.

Certain apps, specifically ones that start with a small installer and download the rest of the app over the internet, are having issues.

AMD adrenaline wouldn't install with the small installer, It would say it can't connect to the internet. I had to download the full size setup, then it worked.
Origin, discord, and steam worked fine.
Now I'm on the Oculus app and it hangs in the middle of install, saying no connection speed. I of course do have stable connection while doing so however, 800MB down. If I disable the network adapter and reenable, it will say it has a pitiful connection for awhile like 10KBs, then go back to 0 connection speed.

I tried turning off anti-virus completely for both Adrenaline and the oculus app, no change. Would it be the privacy sliders I turned off?
I'm at a loss, any ideas?

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you get drivers from Gigabyte as they not exactly new on there.
so i expect this will have similar problems - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html as it might help with some of your problems. If its lan drivers

given PC is normal on other ssd, its either drivers or sliders. did you look in the settings? I didn't see anything that stood out as obvious cause in there. I am on 11, they slightly different to the ones in 10.

I still have another windows install on my previous SSD, if I boot into that drive there's no issue.

i7 7700k
64gb
6900-xt

All drivers up to date
Are you saying that you have 2 drives, both with windows installations, connected at the same time? Did you have more than 1 drive connected when you reinstalled windows? Is yes, that could be the cause of your problems. Also if you had the Location slider turned off during install, that could be a problem.

Are you saying that you have 2 drives, both with windows installations, connected at the same time? Did you have more than 1 drive connected when you reinstalled windows? Is yes, that could be the cause of your problems. Also if you had the Location slider turned off during install, that could be a problem.

Why would multiple OS drives be an issue? I've always done this so I can have a backup, never been an issue before
And no I do have the location slider turned on

Why would multiple OS drives be an issue? I've always done this so I can have a backup, never been an issue before
And no I do have the location slider turned on
Windows unfortunately was designed on computers with only 1 drive; that's why its important that only 1 drive be connected at installation time. It sounds like your system may be getting confused between the 2 drives and that may be causing your problems. Having the location slider turned on can sometimes be important to software that wants to know the general location where you are for copyright purposes. You don't have to set your precise location; you can pick another city or state in your general region and time zone.

Windows unfortunately was designed on computers with only 1 drive; that's why its important that only 1 drive be connected at installation time. It sounds like your system may be getting confused between the 2 drives and that may be causing your problems. Having the location slider turned on can sometimes be important to software that wants to know the general location where you are for copyright purposes. You don't have to set your precise location; you can pick another city or state in your general region and time zone.

I don't think that's true, windows only communicates with one boot drive at a time. For example when you boot into windows it just sees the other drive as storage, and can be used as such. I finally got this to take though, seems a common issue on their website. I had to constantly switch between wifi and ethernet to finish the download.

TRENDING THREADS