[SOLVED] Fresh-Install Windows 10 Boot SSD won't recognize old HDD (But Old Boot SSD Does)

May 25, 2019
I'm trying to upgrade my boot SSD, from a an old 128gb to a 1tb I picked up for a decent price. My build also has a 2tb Seagate HDD that I use for most of my storage. Figured it'd be relatively straightforward to follow a drive cloning guide and swap in the larger SSD, and keep the HDD.

Full Disclosure: Built this pc a while ago, and made the classic error of installing Windows with two drives attached, so while the SSD is the Boot, there's a System Reserved partition on the HDD.

As a result, straight cloning the Boot SSD on to the new SSD didn't work, and I've done a (correct) fresh install of Windows on the new SSD, which boots fine by itself. When I reconnect the HDD (same SATA), though, it gets detected in BIOS but not Disk Management (no dice on the refresh/rescan/driver update) or anything else. When I pull the new SSD/Windows install and put the old Boot SSD in with the HDD it all works fine.

Does anyone know a way that I can get the new Windows install to detect the HDD, or should I just bite the bullet, reformat it and get the files from backup?

Solution
Ended up biting the bullet and reformatting the HDD and then getting the files from my backup. Thanks for taking the time, guys, I appreciate it!

If I had to guess, having the Windows "System Partition" on the drive but no actual boot/Windows was the issue - trying it with the new boot drive or an old Windows laptop I had, the HDD would show up as "No Media". It'd only work with the original boot SSD. You could maybe try just removing the "System Partition", but I figured I'd be doubly screwing myself if the "System Partition" wasn't the problem because then none of my other machines will pick up the drive AND I can't boot into it anymore.

TL;DR: HDD is getting recognized by new boot, +1 for backups.
May 25, 2019
The HDD isn't showing up in device manager, unfortunately. I haven't set up any storage spaces previously, but when I go to set one up/see if it detects anything it doesn't show any drives connected.

May 25, 2019
The new boot SSD will recognize the old SSD, but not the HDD when I tried both on an internal SATA and a USB to SATA cable.

Fun Update: Went to install updates on the new SSD and it crashed midway through and won't boot anymore. I'm going to reformat and reinstall windows on the new drive and I'll get back to you once I'm at square one again? Thanks for the help so far, though!

System specs (off the top of my head, I'll respond with actual specs once the build boots again):

CPU: i7-4770
64-bit, x64
8gb RAM
PS: 650w
GPU: gtx 2070

SSD (old Boot) Samsung 850 128g
SSD (new Boot) Samsung 860 1tb
HDD Seagate 2tb

May 25, 2019
Ended up biting the bullet and reformatting the HDD and then getting the files from my backup. Thanks for taking the time, guys, I appreciate it!

If I had to guess, having the Windows "System Partition" on the drive but no actual boot/Windows was the issue - trying it with the new boot drive or an old Windows laptop I had, the HDD would show up as "No Media". It'd only work with the original boot SSD. You could maybe try just removing the "System Partition", but I figured I'd be doubly screwing myself if the "System Partition" wasn't the problem because then none of my other machines will pick up the drive AND I can't boot into it anymore.

TL;DR: HDD is getting recognized by new boot, +1 for backups.

Solution