Fresh Install Windows 10 crashes after 10 seconds, fine in safe mode

lawlzes

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
Hey All,

I am currently running a fresh install of windows 10 and get a crash after 10 seconds or so, consistently at the same time every time. I am able to boot into safe mode, but cannot get into Automatic Updater while in Safe Mode with Networking which I thought would be the way to fix the issue. Was wondering if anyone could give some tips as all of the forum searching I have done has not led to much.

I also just updated the bios. Going to keep updating with things I've done

Thanks!

Just ran a SFC /scannow based on this threads suggestions : http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-freezing-a-few-minutes-after-boot-works-fine-in-safe-mode-networking-686664.html

Results came back as "did not find any integrity violation"

Colif

Win 11 Master
is it a BSOD or another type of crash?

Had you installed any drivers? You can't install any in safe mode and generally if it runs fine in safe mode but not elsewhere its likely to be drivers.

What are specs of PC?

Did you use a new version of win 10? (in other words, did you make a new USB using media creation tool?)

sfc should come up fine on a clean install, just means its not windows. Could be a windows driver for one of your built in devices though

lawlzes

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

It's always a BSOD, but sometimes it freezes and doesn't show anything but the blue screen, other times its a clock_watchdog or whea_uncorrectable. It never gets to a full restart, I always have to manually do it.

I had an existing version of Win 10 on my SSD and I fully reset it to basically a new copy using the troubleshooter.

I had not installed any drivers since I can't stay booted in windows, but I did manually install a driver for my network card using a USB. Right now I'm still using ethernet though. I checked most of my drivers and they said up to date except for that one, but I didn't go through every single one.

Specs are
i7 4790k no overclocking
ASUS Hero Maximus VII mobo
R9 290
16 GB ram
256 GB SSD with Win 10

The computer had worked fine in my last case, I was moving it over to a new case and I broke the pump on my watercooler. In the process to diagnose where my issue was, I ended up frying my HDD which is why I had to do a fresh install of windows again. I got a new water cooler now, but I'm not sure if there are still lingering effects of that on my chip. That gave clock_watchdogs and whea_uncorrectables but with that I heard my fans spin up hard right before the BSOD where this I don't which is why I think it's just a driver issue as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
sorry I am slow to answer, been busy this week.

Can you go to C:\windows folder and upload the memory.dmp file to a file sharing site and show a link here, I will ask someone to decode them for me.

Do you have AI Suite or PC Probe 2 installed? As it can cause WHEA errors

lawlzes

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

Hey, sorry I took so long to get back to you. I didn't see a response for a couple days and had some things come up so I decided to put it off. If you are still up for helping, I would really appreciate it.

Here is the link to the memory.dmp file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifnnj4gvenl6idy/MEMORY.DMP?dl=0

I don't believe I have any of those installed. Let me know if the dmp file is good for you or if I need to get you anything else.

gardenman

Splendid
Not necessarily. Wait for more replies.

In the meantime, check your C:\Windows\Minidump folder for any minidumps. If you find any, copy them to another location such as your desktop or documents folder and upload those (up to a maximum of 10 files). Feel free to ZIP them up. The minidumps may be intact, even though the big memory.dmp wasn't.

Colif

Win 11 Master
always fun when half the message is full of errors

The CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error means that your processor is having trouble with cooperation from its cores and threads.
Threads are tasks taken by cores, and some cores can take many threads simultaneously. The problem here is that a thread is waiting for a proper response from another thread — or a core is waiting for a response from another core — and those responses aren’t coming. Therefore, you get this BSoD error. While this is a processor problem, this can be caused by two things: a driver error, which is very likely if you’re using Windows 8, or the OS itself isn’t playing nice with the processor.

it is likely a driver. I just can't tell what due to all the missing info in file.

I don't think win 10 would create minidumps unless you tell it to.

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and Gardenman will look at them

If someone later asks you to do kernel dumps, you can find how to do them from same link above, but they gotr stored in C:\windows like the memory.dmp does

lawlzes

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

No mini dumps but I got another memory.dmp in the meantime, maybe this one will work?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ophh8ui9q33cuvg/MEMORY.DMP?dl=0

In the meantime Ill try to create the mini dumps Colif talked about

lawlzes

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

Minidump
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ued1pfvp8chm36/100517-5546-01.dmp?dl=0

I think they may be corrupted as the PC can't finish resetting off the BSOD itself, I always have to manually reset it.

I'll set up an ubuntu environment

lawlzes

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

Just tried. unfortunately, installer does not work in safe mode.

gardenman

Splendid
A lot of the time, it's the large memory.dmp is that unable to be read by the debugger, and the minidumps work.

The minidump you uploaded is valid. I ran it through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/Uzjd.html

File: 100517-5546-01.dmp (Oct 5 2017 - 23:49:21)
BugCheck: [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)]
Probably caused by: Unknown_Image (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 47 Sec(s)

There was still missing information but at least the file was valid and provided a driver list.

I can't help you with this. Wait for Colif or someone else to reply. Good luck.

Note: I'm still downloading the 2nd memory.dmp (which will likely fail, but it's worth a shot). I will update this post once it's done downloading and I've tried to open it.

Update: The 2nd memory.dmp failed as expected. I was able to gather the following information out of it...

BugCheck: [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)]
BUGCHECK_P1: 18
BUGCHECK_P2: 0
BUGCHECK_P3: ffff9480de0c0180
BUGCHECK_P4: 2

lawlzes

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

Hey Colif, got the IPDT test running on an ubuntu boot. Got a full pass on everything. Honest if it isn't possible to determine the drivers, I may just switch over this PC to ubuntu.

Once again, thank you both for your help I really appreciate it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Aug 22 2012 AsIO.sys Asus Input Output driver this will cause those errors.

Hey gardenman, can you tell me the path for the asio.sys file in the dumps? It might help lawlzes find the program its associated with, since he already said he didn't have AI Suite installed. Don't suppose you have GPU Tweak 2 installed as it can be part of it as well.

gardenman

Splendid
Unfortunately, no. That info wasn't included in the minidump file (the others wouldn't even list the drivers). Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I use the same command each time to get the drivers list so there's not much I can do there. Full info from minidump:

Code:
fffff80b`4a530000 fffff80b`4a536000   AsIO       (deferred)             
    Image path: AsIO.sys
    Image name: AsIO.sys
    Browse all global symbols  functions  data
    Timestamp:        Wed Aug 22 05:54:47 2012 (5034AC67)
    CheckSum:         0000EA4F
    ImageSize:        00006000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Lawlzes can open an Explorer window of C:\ and do a search in that window for the AsIO.sys file. I do know of another way (a program) that could remove drivers but I'm not sure if you want to go that route or not. If so let me know and I'll look it up.

lawlzes

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
Think it may be something with the CPU still, I was playing around with ubuntu last night and ran into a problem that cause the computer to freeze and reset consistently. Might try to get another CPU to test it out.